Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1 eyed cyclops, has 4 eyes now !

Posted by leafwatcher zone 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 10:57

My 4 year old Sagae , known to me as cyclops has FINALLY added eyes..If all my favorite hosta quadruple their eyes, ..I will be smiling !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1 eyed cyclops, has 4 eyes now !

Glad to hear it, Leafwatcher! I still consider myself a newbie hosta lover, with most of my hostas being less than 3 years old. I noticed yesterday that my 2nd-year Atlantis looks to still have only one eye. I was wondering about that, since I assumed there would be at least one more eye this year. Thanks for the reassurance!
Karen

o

Karen make sure your hostas get plenty of water. Never let the soil dry out. If your plants aren't growing/increasing in size lack of moisture may be the reason. Hostas also like a nutrient rich soil so any organic matter such as leaf mulch or grass clippings you can add to the soil is beneficial and will help retain moisture as well. I cover the hosta beds with mulch and in the fall mow the leaves down with my mower and mix that into the beds raking the mulch back then rake the mulch back in place to keep from being blown away by the wind.

Scott

Scott

o

Thanks for the advice, Scott! Much as I tried to stay on top of watering last year, we were doing A LOT of construction on our landscape for our daughter's wedding here, so they may have gone a bit dry now and then.

I have begun to use all of my leaves for mulch, but I usually just put it on top of my wood mulch. I like the idea of raking it back and putting the leaves under it, because, you're right---some of it does get blown away.
Thanks again!
Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here