Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arcy_gw

60 degrees!!!

arcy_gw
10 years ago

After lunch I will be trudging through the snow to clean up/perk up the bird houses. I have to get out there before the plants begin their peeking out. I usually have this DONE..but we all know what this winter has been like. I will be dreaming of when the gardens look like this!! Gosh looking at the date of this picture..no wonder I am remembering plants bigger/fuller...I guess I need to take some new ones this summer.

Comments (21)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Yikes! We are getting ice today! Crazy. We have had so much rain in the last three days, there are ponds out front and out back-not planned ones! Your picture makes me even more impatient for spring and summer.

• arcy_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today was wonderful--but 6" of snow here by tomorrow. I am just glad all my babies are still fast asleep. I did see the miniature iris are up..but they can take it.

• arcy_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The weather man never seems it get it right. The 4-6" of snow all went north. If we don't blow away, we will be dry it seems. We have been blessed with a nice slooooow melt so all my plants should be fine, so far~~

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Your garden looks great, Arcy...You'll be seeing it again soon.

Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

do you plan a little poking and uncovering ...????

some guy did a post about that recently ... which in this forum means its probably already on page 42 ... lol ..

its was the same here today ... 60ish ... still 30% snow cover.. of which its almost all the hosta beds under leafless deciduous trees that still have snow ..

but OMG how glorious to walk around out there ...

dont compact your soil too much ...

ken

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

Barely hit 40 here this afternoon, my hosta are still under two feet of ice. Spring is a week in late May.

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

It was -5 degrees F here this morning and we only rose to 16 degrees for a high. Expecting +3 degrees F tonight. Sorry but you zone 4'ers and 5'ers don't know what real, brutal winter is ;).

This post was edited by Slimy_Okra on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 23:13

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

LOL Yeah, ya wimps in Minnesota, Michigan, and New England...SUCK IT UP! You don't grasp what COLD is!

Signed, Don B. from the warm tropical islands of zone 5b, or possibly 6a. Was a little chilly today, as I was going to snorkel out and spear some fish for the purpose of emulsifying them to drizzle on the pips coming up. I canceled it because the unseasonably cold water temp wasn't even at 70*F yet (brrrrrrrrr)!

Chilly in the Colorado Isles today, only 84*F. Could barely stand to not wear a shirt with my swimtrunks.
    Don B.

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

>> Sorry but you zone 4'ers and 5'ers don't know
    >> what real, brutal winter is ;).

Neither do we. We'll talk later about summer...

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hi, Cold Weather Is Evil. Do you do any gardening down there in Arizona that doesn't have to do with aquarium gravel being the new lawn? ; P

Don B.

P.S. Please tell Satan Don says 'Hi' and 'better luck next time'!

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

I will never never ever never ever never never never mow %$**! grass again!

I have a lot of food growing out back that won't be there any more when people in New Hampshire and Colorado Springs are sitting around picking fresh raspberries and moseying out to check the kernels on a few ears of corn. When it goes below 40 I cry.

A lot.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

LOL I can totally understand being happy about never mowing filthy grass again!

Cheers,
    Don B.

• arcy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No ken, no poking or uncovering--I saw the post--at the time I had two feet of snow still!! Most of the "cover" is FROZEN to the ground!! At some point I will get the leaf blower out and blow all the cover into the woods, but that is assuming the thaw continues to move slowly and consistently. By the time I uncover the back beds the pips will be two inches out of the ground if things go as they usually do. I have to balance being able to walk in a frozen bed--so not to harm anything with uncovering before things are so far up I might accidentally stomp them. I have HUNDREDS of hosta to dance around, let alone thousands of companion plants. The past five years I have had blooms on SOMETHING from March-November. I am guessing I will miss the crocus this year. They will bloom under cover!! Give me a few weeks, then I will begin the stepping stone balancing act. I attempt to hold the blower while perched on the stones as I traverse a few hundred yards of hosta. The beds are all too deep to stay on the lawn while blowing the oak leaves and debris out. I did remove the largest branches of dead fall but there was NO chance of squishing soil or plants!! The ground was SOLID under my feet.

• User
    9 years ago

What planet do all you folks live on?
    Aquarium gravel is a nice term for xeriscaping, Don. My friend in Vegas has such a yard. The one in Phoenix has nothing alive in her garden. My neighbors are now peeking through the back garden fence with excitement, because the unfurling leaves are magnificent this year, and they never saw hosta except those at Lowes.

When we "kiss in a field of white" as sung in the lovely "Stars Fell on Alabama" it means fields of white cotton ready for the picking, NOT the stuff you guys are enduring, be it snow or fog turned to frosty icing on the early morning landscape..... like what I saw Sunday morning driving north through eastern Missouri near the Mississippi River.

• arcy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yesterday I had brown, no white. Today!!

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Arcy must be in Frostbite Falls, Minnesota.

Steve

• arcy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dang close Steve and this year it is a PAIN!!

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Oh, man. S*cks for y'all. That's about as brutal as this thread! Mocc, could you pass the sunscreen?

FunnthSUN, very happy to not know what REAL cold is like--YIKES :0
    Its been 75 degrees here all week, the hostas are jumping!

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

How did your gardens survive this winter?

We had several days in the 50s, nights usually below freezing. There are 65 dgr days in the forecast. Nearly 99% of snow is gone. So I raked the lawn in front and back, tied broken pine branches into bundles, raked leaves which had accumulated in corners.

I noticed that I have a record number of plants lifted out of the ground, hostas and other perennials. Some beds look like with many bumps. Plants are 1 ft across, 1 inch out of the ground. I try to push them into the ground, but can not. Perhaps there is still frozen ground underneath. I never had this before, thinking about what to do, probably will wait to see.
    Bernd

• User
    9 years ago

Gee, Bernd, that is tough about the heave. We had a rough winter ourselves for this zone, but nothing like what you folks endure. That will require a lot of back breaking labor to re insert the heaved plants back into the soil....when it thaws, that is.

Whew, I'm so glad our soil does not freeze. I count my blessings.

• rosie742001
    9 years ago

Well we have rain here in Western Oregon!!! And it is a little warmer, no freezing even at night, just some fog!! It is cold tho' in the morning Oregon is a mixture of climates. I have a few Hosta poking their noses out. I have one called Ebony Towers I just got into a pot and it is growing pretty fast. The weather yahoos are saying we will have ! day in the 70's next week? ONE DAY!!! Okay, we'll take it.Maybe that means more is on the way.