Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

Really ahead.......

hosta_freak
12 years ago

Of last year! I was just out in the garden,and based on last years pics of some hostas,I figure some of them are at least a month ahead of last year. Some,like Lakeside Ripples,looks like it is on steroids! I haven't taken any pics yet,but then you all have seen my garden from every angle,so there's no rush. Weather down here looks like it will hold up for the forseeable future,with temps in the 40's,or 50's at night with daytime temps in the upper 70's. I think spring is here to stay,but a month ahead. Phil

Comments (17)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Show me photos! Gardens are different every year, and if L. Ripples is amazing this year, it isn't fair for you be amazed and not let us be too! Come on , Phil....

-Babka

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK,Babka,but only for you! Here is one of my Sagaes today. As soon as I figure out how to get the other pics on this computer. All my other pics are in the desktop,which won't let me download to it anymore,but I don't know why. Take a look. Phil

{{gwi:945314}}

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Finally figured out how to upload with my laptop. Here's Lakeside Ripples,from today. Phil

{{gwi:945316}}

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Really nice, Phil! The temps have gotten cooler around here, the past few days temps have been hovering at or just above the freezing point for lows, so the plants have slowed down some. I'm glad most of my hostas haven't unfurled yet, but there are several that were in a rush during our warm spell. Still, I shouldn't even be seeing any at all for another two to three weeks, yet here we are.

Love Lakeside Ripples!

Karen

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Wow Karen I can't believe how large your hosta is considering I'm in NE Pa and zone 6b. Although I'm glad they haven't considering the cold weather now.

Scott

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They're not Karens,Scott,they're mine in NC! Read carefully,please. Phil

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Yeah, definitely not mine. ;)

Karen

• User
    12 years ago

Got two shipments, one yesterday from Kansas, Made In The Shade, with one humongous HOLY MOLE! which is exactly what I said when I looked at it. And all the others, including three dwarf/smalls were gorgeous, and I was a happy camper.

Then today the small order from Hallson's came, with a bonus plant to my surprise. Today I got Aphrodite, yesterday I got Venus, so my plantaginea plantation is going ahead full steam. The Fried Bananas today had some healthy unfurled leaves, too tall to call them eyes anymore. So I was busy busy all day planting dem hosta. When the mail arrived with my Hallson's order this afternoon, I was too pooped to plant any more.

By the way, I set the big pot of 4 hosta from Lowes to the curb for trash, and within an hour, someone had taken it. They looked nice, really, but after the investment I've made in pedigreed plants (so to speak), I don't want to hazard the chance of contaminating the whole garden with HVX. Peace of mind is worth it. Now I guess I'll order Whirlwind, Francee, and maybe Minuteman too. And Piedmont Gold, because what I think is Satisfaction looks wonderful.
    If it turns out to be something else, then I'll put Satisfaction on the list to get as well.

I have three Queens which are really looking good. Fragrant Queen, Dream Queen, and the newest and smallest but intensely YELLOW, Dancing Queen....

Reckon we could play a hand of hosta poker? Or maybe GO FISH? ....Give me all your Empress Wu!!!

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Pics, BJ, Pics! Start a new thread and let us see what they looked like upon arrival.

Steve

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Thanks Phil! I just had to divide my Sagae as it literally split the 3 gal. plastic nursery pot it was in, so now I have 3, 1gal. cans with a couple eyes each for now. I was so happy to see yours looking sooo good, with nary a munched tip. Your L.Ripples looks like a dead ringer for my Clovelly. Is L.Ripples a dark green or medium green like Clovelly? I'm sure glad you figured out the uploading stuff.

-Babka

• paul_in_mn
    12 years ago

Looking good Phil. Even with the warm temps our soil is still cool. I checked a few and thankfully most look content to stay dormant for now, but they will be popping soon. All my pots are out from the porch and growing on the deck - will have to move in and out if gets cold.

Paul

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Babka,right now,the color is more of a blue/green. The pic was taken in too bright of light to look the way it actually does. The sun came back out just as I took the pic. I really like the light in the morning,when it's not so intense. The trees above are not leafed out yet,and that affects the light. The hostas are just up too early,but you can't control Mother Nature! It looks as though spring is here for this year. Glad you liked the pics. Phil

• Gesila
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing Phil. Love all the others sprouting up in the background!

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    12 years ago

This is the time I do wish I kept a garden journal. It would be fun to compare this winter and spring to others past and future.

Why are some garden plants rushing ahead while others seem unaffected by the unseasonable warmth? Just within the hosta, some are actively growing like Sagae while most have yet to show so much as a pip point!

I guess I'll just enjoy what I have and pray that we don't get much late frost.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's a good observation! My Tokudama FC,and On Stage,which are always late,are still late this year,while all the others are either showing eyes,or leafing out. Phil

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    12 years ago

You just reminded me that I planted Tokudama Flavocircinalis last fall and don't know exactly where it is.

I did a survey yesterday and the only other hosta which are growing are the Halcyon, June, Touch of Class group.

• User
    12 years ago

As of today, I have two slow-pokes with barely any green showing.

Finally, White Elephant has 3 eyes up about 1 inch barely though.

One Fragrant Bouquet is leafing out, but the other one, which I potted with it, is only showing 3 green eyes breaking the soil.

A migrant from Massachusetts garden which was dormant last weekend, Dick Ward, is now going like gangbusters with three full leaves open and is really heavy substance and absolutely exciting to watch it grow. Perfect leaves!! I hope the slugs leave it ALONE.

It has rained almost every day or night this week, and the temps are in the 80s daytime, upper 60s nighttime. I only watered when I potted the new arrivals. It looks like rain again today as well. April showers. Hope they hang around all summer, just "late afternoon thundershowers" sounds really good.