Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andi_mn

spring in minnesota

andi_mn
11 years ago

a march 27th ! pic of pond and hosta garden (woods) for all you ' southerners' wanna move here? lol
http://i49.tinypic.com/ilk8cw.jpg

Comments (23)

• andi_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

would like to see actual pic...?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I have a friend in upstate NY who has much the same view many springs. We had 4 inches of snow on Monday, but the joy of being in the mid-Atlantic area is that it was gone by Tuesday! Hang in there Andi-you will be seeing green soon!

• dougald_gw
    11 years ago

Looks about the same here ... the world is white, the ground frozen solid 42 inches down beneath the snow and the river shows no signs of breakup. BUT the sun is shining and daytime temps at least are above freezing so spring is definitely on the way! At least a month before any hopes of seeing the first pips come through ... patience.

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Here's pic (andi - copying the 'HTML for Websites' code into post will work)

Paul

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 19:15

• User
    11 years ago

Learning the ground really freezing that deep was one of the first lessons for me up in MA. The water meter being in the basement instead of at the street, on the surface, that was a surprise too. Someone like myself moving north had best just rent in a complex for the learning curve to catch up with them. Otherwise, a home could become a real money pit quickly.

There is always a price to pay for making choices. The old expression, "Pay your money and make your choice" is very true. I choose not to live in a place where xeriscaping is the only reasonable option. The presence of a lot of snow implies there is adequate moisture for a nice green garden up in cold country, even with all the rock and huge trees to share it with. I could deal with the snow....or so I think.....but not at my advanced age! Warm suits me just fine, don't you know.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

Hey, at least here in out state MN we are FINALLY above freezing today! Wahoo! And the sun is shining. Not sure I can handle this much excitement!

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    11 years ago

My mother was 7.5 months pregnant with me when we left Minnesota We went to Southern California to live. It was the best day of my pre-life. I would have grown up in Brainerd. I am not brave. I know I cannot handle the snow. I am sick of winter too. It was 35 deg here this morning. I have hostas in the garage,,,again. Last freeze, I hope. Have a great grow day, Paula

This post was edited by ilovetogrow on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 17:19

• leafwatcher
    11 years ago

Andy in Mn. ,
    Looking at your snowy picture I am glad I am ahead of SOMEBODY in this spring of 2013 !

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

This is as far north that I want to live. Even here,it has below freezing for the last 5 nights,even though the calendar says spring. I put on cardboard boxes on the leafing out ones every night,and take them off when the temps get above freezing. It's supposed to 26 again tonight,and then a respite for 3 nights. Yay! Im very tired of winter,which really isn't winter. Hopefully spring will eventually get here! Phil

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Years ago, I worked for Control Data, which was headquartered in Minneapolis (sp?). They had underground tunnels that you entered to get from the parking lots to the buildings. The whole city is connected with skywalks. It was a really strange place for a girl from Texas. It was really beautiful in the summer, though - and it wasn't HOT. The guys who lived up there would go swimming in the dead of winter when they came here.

I still think Babka has the best deal. Besides the earthquakes and mudslides, not freezing or getting above 75 F could be heavenly.

bk

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

Well, one good thing about still frozen ground... I don't have to run out and cover my hostas with boxes. LOL

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

I lived 10 miles from the epicenter of the infamous Northridge Quake of '94. THAT was CRAZY!! A couple of months ago, when we were standing at our sliding glass door looking at 2 feet of snow, with more coming down, I said to my wife, "Well honey, at least we don't live in Southern California anymore"! LOL

I mean every word of it. (Not comparing to Babka, who lives in NORTHERN Cal, which is like a whole different state in most senses...Still got quakes, though, but it's a MUCH nicer place to live than Southern Cal, where I grew up...SoCal sucks)...

Don B.
    Westminster, CO.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 19:56

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

You have my sympathy. Your cold and snow should remind me to stop complaining about the late spring here. At least the snow has all melted, although the ground is semi-frozen. In August when the rest of us are melting, you can sit back and smile.

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Yep, August is the downside of an early spring.

bk

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Hey Don, I'm with you. I grew up in North Hollywood and then Garden Grove. After spending 2 years in Germany in the late 60's, coming back to Southern Calif. was shockingly depressing. Anywhere else is better. Northern Calif. is beautiful though.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

All the snow is gone in zone 5 NY, also my grandson's 5 snowmen, he chopped them up and I raked the snow. I just finished raking the front yard, pruning the heathers, filling up large paper bags with yard waste for town pickup, then I had an adult beverage. It was a beautiful 4 hours, tomorrow the backyard! Back is still OK.
    Bernd

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Just counted pips from 17 different plants; They're busting out now! Must be time for it to snow again :-0

Don B.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    11 years ago

Mctavish and Don, I also grew up in North Hollywood. Went to St Jane Frances, and Grant, Small world LOL. My sister still lives in Northridge. Spent 2 weeks there last year. No Hosta. Pips are popping today. They know my 8 zone winter has turned into my 9 zone spring. Paula

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Certainly IS a small world, Paula. I grew up in Ventura County (Born in Oxnard). Moved to The San Fernando Valley in 1990. Moved to Colorado in August 2005. I haven't been back. I've made my friends come HERE and visit LOL. Every so often my wife gets the urge to move back there (She has a lot of family out there). She visits once a year or so. After she gets back, she's so stressed out she wonders what posessed her to want to leave Colorado and move back to SoCal LOL......Besides, that ain't Hosta Country, and I am forever a Hosta Man now. High 90's in February?? You can have that cr@p! Plus a million and one other great reasons...

Don B.
    So Cal No Mo'

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    11 years ago

All this snow has to melt soon. I have some patches left, but I've been getting a start at spring cleanup. I've got Crocus blooming. No hosta pips, which is fine by me. I know freezing temps can always come back.

Shockingly small world.
    I grew up in the San Fernando Valley. (Paula, my neighbor was a teacher at Grant H.S.) Worked in North Hollywood, then Burbank. Moved out to Upland. However, by then I worked in Pasadena and the commute was brutal. I can't believe how much time I spent on the freeways! (McT. My in-laws lived in Garden Grove). Thankfully, I missed the Northridge quake, (Don, 10 miles from the epicenter... YIKES!). I was in the Sylmar quake as a kidlet. Terrifying! I miss a few things about SoCal like the Pacific Ocean, great beaches, and being able to grow citrus and figs.

• dougald_gw
    11 years ago

The ground is still white here in Zone 4. I don't think I have much chance to win our annual pool on the date the river will see breakup as I picked April 1. But it should happen this coming week at some point.

Patience - the sleeping hostas cannot be rushed and won't peak through the ground for another month

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

I has been absolutley beautiful in our suuny Okanagan valley of Bristish Columbia but we seem to be the only part of Canada that has no snow left and 68 - 70* F (20C). Myrle and I have made the trip to the Greenery and purchased our want list( no I am not telling how many I got either) and managed to pick up all but one . Also went down to a local yesterday and picked up some from a70% off sale from last season stock.... spring has spring and the grass has rizz. Sorry for the rest of you folks . Have a very happy Easter.

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

I could tell you how many 'no more' bought but that might not be nice. Let's just say its more than three times the 12 I got at the Greenery. If there is anyone reading this in the Okanagan looking for very new varieties, this is a good place to go. The owner (it's a family run nursery with a long history in Kelowna) gets tissue cultures in the summer, grows them until they go dormant and brings them back to sell in the spring. They are on the small side but no different than some of the very new varieties I've mail ordered before. The best thing is that he sells plants like Captains Adventure, Purple Heart, Raspberry Sundae, Emerald Charger, Itty Gold and Taurus for $6.95. Hard to beat.

Paula, I had a neighbor named Paula and I would have gone to Grant High School had I still lived on Tiara Street. We moved to Garden Grove when I was 10. In Elementary I went to JB Monlux. It sure is a small world.I miss a few friends still in California and picking huge avacados off the tree. Myrle