Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

Please post your pics from last summer

donrawson
11 years ago

Do you have any pics from last summer that you haven't posted before? Post them here!

I don't remember what pics from last summer I've posted already, so I'll post them again...

American Blue Wrinkles

Abiqua Hallucination

Gator Hide (Rawson NR)

Dark Secret

Gift of Gold

Jeckyll and Hide (sport of Rhino Hide, Rawson NR)

Midnight Oil

Peter Ruh

Sugar Daddy

Tiki Torch (Rawson NR)

Pillow Talk

Woolly Mammoth

Comments (42)

• User
    11 years ago

Wow, your Sugar Daddy looks pretty good there. It has a reputation for not looking so good. Well, I have mine which came from Naylor, split the eyes into two pots so I could try different conditions for them both. I'll check for any photos not uploaded anywhere before, sure took 4 gigabytes worth of hosta pictures last year, but many are truly bad pictures.

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Wow! I love that midnight oil. I've been wanting some solid greens.

bk

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

El Capitan

Fire Opal - 3rd year, Gold Standard sport

Garden Treasure - 2nd year, a Tokudama Aureonebulosa hybrid

High Society - slower grower, a June Sport

High Tide - a cross out of Dorset Blue

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Wow Don R., I like 'Gator Hide' a lot. Is the substance close to 'Rhino Hide' tough? It's a really sharp-looking plant.

Don B.

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Here is a pic of my Orange Marmalade. Phil

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

What great plants above. Gator Hide and Midnight Oil look really interesting. Love that High Tide. I got one last year and hope it increases to look like that.

Here are a few I don't think I've posted.

So far the flower is much more interesting than the plant on this one.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Paul, thanks for the pic of 'El Capitan', you've convinced me to get one this season...

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

McTavish, I know it's an 'old' variety, but 'Undulata Albomarginata' certainly has some beautiful variegation, doesn't it? I actually just bought a couple, I hope they look as good as yours in a few seasons.(Plus one that I got from Hallson Gardens late in the season, it was dormant when I received it. I bought it because it was inexpensive; now I can't wait to see it)

Don B.

• leaflover76
    11 years ago

Fire Island

• leaflover76
    11 years ago

Undulata
    {{gwi:946263}}

• leaflover76
    11 years ago

Wide Brim
    {{gwi:946264}}

• leaflover76
    11 years ago

Thunderbolt
    {{gwi:946265}}

Francis Williams
    {{gwi:946266}}

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Blue Flame - 2nd year, sport of Fragrant Blue

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Beautiful plants everyone and I threw away my pen so I don't mark down any more for my "got to have list" . Don I love the large rock in your garden by the house and I too am a rock hound and when in the USA for winter, packed all the compartments on the motorhome full of the beauties I found in Arizona and other places. My husband said we lost at least 5 miles to the gallon in fuel from the weight. This was a picture of a newly October planting last fall 2012 . It will be a pleasant surprise to watch the ones I purchased as dormant ones open up this season( if the mice never eat them)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Leaflover,

That's the best Undulata I've ever seen. Was that pic taken in June?

Steve

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Having fun with borders and mattes.....this is an area of my gardens I love taking pics in....

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

It certainly is an awesome 'Undulata'! Look at how broad those leaves are...beautiful...

Don B.

• leaflover76
    11 years ago

Steve and Don - Thanks. That Undulata pic was taken in May last year. My pic of her in July was not as pretty so I used the one that made her look the prettiest. But she sure is one of my favs. Had her 3 years. This will be year 4 for her and I'm anxious to see her again.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Leaflover- I just bought one (Undulata) and I was wondering where you sited it; Does it get much/any direct sunlight? I haven't planted mine outside yet.

Thanks,
    Don B.

• leaflover76
    11 years ago

Don - Mine is north facing, up against my chimney. No direct sun till late afternoon, almost sunset. But it is not a shady place either (if that makes sense). This pic gives you an idea of the bed, although this pic was taken in 2011 and has been changed since then. The sun comes up behind my pool and moves along the other side of my house.

This post was edited by leaflover76 on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 21:25

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Thanks, Leaflover, I know what you're saying.
    Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 21:50

• User
    11 years ago

Leaflover, your undulata is every bit as pretty as fancier new hybrids/sports. Proves that well tended gardening makes for beautiful plants!

My house set up is much like yours, sun coming up from the backyard. Yet we are so much further south, that by the longest day of the year, there is no shade on our north side. Afternoon shade arrives when the sun, around 4pm, will be screened by the tall pines of the properties across the street from us, to the west/northwest. At latitude 30 North, we get a lot of sunshine.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Leaflover, The Hosta Library does have a few pix of 'Undulata', but yours blows them all away. If Bob Axmear sees your pic you've used in this thread, I'd bet he'd be happy to post it. You should e-mail it to him. If you want to.

Regards,
    Don B.

• donrawson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very nice pics, everyone! It's always fun to look at hosta pics and dream about summer...

Don in Colorado- Gator Hide has unusually thick leaves with large puckers. It is not related to Rhino Hide, however. Another year or two before I know the fullsize dimensions at maturity.

leaflover- Very nice Wide Brim and Thuinderbolt!

mctavish- Excellent closeup pic of that flowerhead on Clifford's Stingray!

Paul in Mn- Very peaceful setting and great foliage plants. Nice frosty color on Blue Flame, too.

• xena45
    11 years ago

Hostas Lakeside Neat Petite, and Parhelion. I took this photo in June 2012. Parhelion had been recently planted. I know the plants aren't perfect, but I like the photo anyway.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Just a friendly SMACK upside the eyeballs with a full frame o' green.....A pic such as this soothes my dry, tired eyes as I wait for the real thing to break dormancy...
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

And a splash of 'Devon Green', one of my favorite solid green Hosta.

Don B.

• User
    11 years ago

Xena, love your Neat Petite, all those nice purple scapes make quite a show. Parhelion is fine too.....I think they look great, and the photo is excellent. In the background, is that a cloche to keep out rabbits or something? It is very attractive.

Don, love that all over green, it makes a good wallpaper. I'm rather fond of greens myself.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

To anyone who hasn't yet ordered from Hallson Gardens, lookie this 'Gosan Sunproof' I got for 10 bucks last year.

Can't beat that with a club.

Don B.

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Don - funny you should draw attention to Gosan Sunproof. I have been eying this one up as one that I feel I SHOULD have just due to the vigor and slug resistance. It seems like it would be a very successful hosta, but I am so choosey with my greens I have never made the leap and bought it.

I'm curious to see how it looks in your garden this year. Keep us posted. :)

• xena45
    11 years ago

Thanks moccasinlanding!

That "cloche" is really a hanging basket for plants. I spray painted it green, and I use it upside down to protect a blue mouse ears hosta that is quite small, from the teenagers who like to tromp through my yard as a shortcut to and from school. (a fence is going up this summer!)

I like it quite a lot too, and will probably always use it in this manner. It adds interest to the garden all year long....and of course, it marks the location of that little hosta. (as mine haven't even poked their little heads above the ground yet - we are having a late spring.)

This post was edited by xena45 on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 13:56

• xena45
    11 years ago

Here are two from May 2011. This is just the common driveway hosta that came with my house. (There is something pleasing about their indestructability! I can always trust them to grow like crazy.)

This post was edited by xena45 on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 14:11

• hostahosta
    11 years ago

Fire and Ice with bloom taken in July 2012. The white hostas are not my favorite but I like this one when is flowers.

• hostahosta
    11 years ago

I can't wait for the hostas to start emerging. Focused on other things over the winter but the past couple of weeks all I can think about are my hosta. Wondering how they will look this year. I actually just finished labeling all of my garden photos from last year. I haven't been gardening that long. This Blue Angel is one of the first I purchased and it has matured nicely.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

That is a very nice slope hostahosta. Nice dappled light. Looks like the shade plants love it.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Ludi...No problem, I'll be sure to post a pic of 'Gosan Sunproof' when it leafs out. I accidentally separated it just before planting, so Hallson special 2 for $10 :)

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 18:27

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Aquatic Bug Hunter...
    Any bugs get too close to the waterline of the pond and it's their last drink...Pic of 'Jaws' from last summer.

Don B.

• User
    11 years ago

AArrgghh!!!!
    You had to say "Hallson special 2 for $10" and there I was going to exert will power and wait to see what the Gosan Sunproof looked like....I'm sure my space is becoming less and less open, but how do I stop....when....and WHYWHYWHY.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Ha ha ha ha! Yes, and Hallson still has 'em (Gosan Sunproof) for 10 bucks each.....Except this year they are FOURTH-YEAR uncut field grown plants, mine was just a tiny little third-year when I got it. LOL

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

The very first plants in this area after soil amendment, all immature and not even really established...I'll post a comparison pic in a month or two, see where we've come since last summer....This was the longest winter EVER for me, and it's all because of discovering Hosta...I suppose this coming winter, and all winters for the rest of my life will be like this now......I'm going to start growing Hosta seed: houseplants are cool, but they don't really "do it" for me...I'd prefer raising plants in winter for the anticipation of planting them in the soil when spring rolls around.

Cheers Everyone, Happy Spring
    Don B.

• User
    11 years ago

Some mighty bright and beautiful hosta there, Don.

And guess what? I knew you were egging me on, but still and all I could NOT stop myself. Why wait? Those 4 year Gosan Sunproofs were calling my name. Little poor pathetic orphans.
    So now one will be shipped to me with my February order....along with 4 of the oriental lily 'Crystal Blanca' which is a fragrant white bloomer. Never can have too many fragrant plants in the garden, can you?

Don't YOU need to fill in a few spots with some nice lilies? Hmmmm? On sale? Cheap.

I'm not sure, but I think I have all of Hallsons current listing of fragrant hosta. :)

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

LOL yes indeed, always have some spots that need filling in, lilies are always good. :)

You're right; why wait? Now you'll be getting a big beautiful 'Gosan Sunproof' sooner than later! I'm not familiar with 'Crystal Blanca'....I'm going to go look it up right now......:)