Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

Dancing Queen begins her performance

Babka NorCal 9b
11 years ago

Here she is almost glowing in front of Invincible, Pineapple Upsidedown cake, and Sweet Home Chicago who looks like grass (or a spike torture bed...).

All but about 3-4 of my hostas have broken ground. They come up in the same order every year it seems, with Invincible, Lederhosen, and Spartan Arrow leading the way.

-Babka

{{gwi:946799}}

{{gwi:946800}}

Comments (15)

• Gesila
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing! Your plants look so nice and healthy!

Love your Dancing Queen .... now that silly song is going to play over and over in my head!

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Very Very Nice! You seem to have 1 1/2 months ahead of mine. Here in NY all snow is nearly gone except for 3 snowmen. Temperatures are now getting into the 50s, so my hostas will be coming in a month. Bernd

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

I had to go to the HL to figure out what performance DQ might be beginning. Now, I'd like to see the whole performance. Inquiring minds want to see.

I always enjoy shots of your hosta room.

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

She unfurls...she waves her ruffles... she...Ooooooooooo... but you have to pay a cover charge to see more... ;-)

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Beautiful, Babka!

Don B.

• gogirlterri
    11 years ago

I don't see PUDC Babka! But your DQ looks outstanding. I can't wait for mine to break dormancy. I must have done something wrong. Or squirrels had gotten to mine before winter set in. :o(
    Theresa

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gogirlterri- PUD is right there on DQ's right. You can faintly see the darker edges materializing. Later in Summer the centers get almost parchment color and the edges darker green. Always a very graceful looking plant.

-Babka

• leafwatcher
    11 years ago

I forgot how much I liked that plant room as well...The Hosta look nice also ;)

• User
    11 years ago

Always a treat, Babka. You are definitely warmer than we are here.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    11 years ago

I would love to have a hosta room like that! I'm envious!

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Wow, look at all the eyes on 'Sweet Home Chicago'! I assume you've had that one for a season or two, eh? :)

Don B.

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

Yeah,Babka,always a treat,considering mine are just breaking ground and shivering at night. It's too bad you can't plant them in the ground. Phil,in frigid NC

• dg
    11 years ago

*sigh*
    I just have to sit here and stare at your hosta "room" photo for a bit...it makes me smile :-)

Deb

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Babka -
    Once your Hosta Room is emptied (I assume all your babies eventually break free and wander your garden) do you use that lovely space for anything else? I could picture a lovely evening dinner in there - white linen-draped table, chairs, twinkle lights, candles, crystal, wine and wine. Maybe even more wine.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hostanista- That was a former hot tub area off the master bathroom. We have sliding doors from the bathroom just a couple feet away. NOT conducive to fine dining. 70% of the hostas stay in there. I have about 90 different ones, and they just won't fit in there once they leaf out. The top is open with redwood 2x2" and shade cloth. We have no space in our small yard (Japanese style garden) that isn't already covered with plants. Since we don't freeze, things stay green all year (except for the Japanese Maples and a couple small deciduous trees).

I move some of my favorites to the deck outside my family room sliding glass doors so I can see them most of the day from the kitchen/fam room. I'm fickle, so favorites get changed out often. The ones in the tea house atrium will get spread out as they leaf out and need more room. Those benches are all movable, so I can tuck in impatiens or other coleus, and whatever to make it be an enjoyable place to just sit sometimes.

What you see in the photo is how they are stored for the winter (and out of sight) when it rains here. They are all just waking up now. We put a tarp over that area of the atrium to keep the hostas dry.

Very different situation from you snow folks. But when your wondrous Spring happens, EVERYTHING gets new fresh leaves while we have broad leaf evergreens that keep last year's bug damage. I have to cut my liropes to the ground each March, so I don't get all those tired leaves hanging on.

Trade offs... Enjoy what you got!

-Babka