Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who's going to Hosta College?

Posted by don_r Z 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 13:30

Are you going to Hosa College this year? Just wondering who else I will see....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who's going to Hosta College?

I am definitely living in the wrong part of the country. Wahhh.

o

Yeah, so am I, cyn...

o

I don't need no stinkin' college to grow hostas! Lol! Phil

o

People in the middle of the US certainly have hosta heaven, a lot going on there!

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 15:53

o

I'll be there, but you already knew that, Don, as you are signed up for my HVX talk.

See you there!

Chris

o

I'll be there too..
Bryan will be running Park-a-Plant again while i get some class.

Mary

o

• Posted by Ludisia 7a Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 12:50

Is this always in Ohio every year ?

I never knew this existed . . . sounds like a fantstic learning opportunity. I just parused the website on my lunch break and was floored by the amount and diversity of the lectures (classes).

If it is in Ohio every year I might be able to make plans next year for that 10 hour drive.

Nice that it is a whole weekend too and not just a day thing.

Ludi

o

I looked at the seminars and they look very interesting but I can't go. I hope that those that do go will be able to share the new things that they've learned. I believe in life-long learning, no matter how old you get. BTW I turned 70 yesterday. My daughter's BD card acknowleged that I'm a hostaholic BUT noone's trying to change me.

This post was edited by irawon on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 15:02

o

Yes, it is held in Piqua, Ohio each year and this is the 20th time. I think this is the 9th or 10th time I've attended in 11 or 12 years. And it is roughly held the same weekend each year too, but has changed a week earlier than it had originally (I think).

I wouldn't really call it a weekend event, since most of it is just on Saturday, but sort of a day and an evening.

Some years have been better than others, really just depends on the presenters and presentations given. Since the teachers aren't paid anything and are all volunteers you shouldn't keep expectations up that much and just enjoy visiting with lots of other hosta people :)

I'll be heading over to there in a few minutes to check on the new AV setup. All the rooms have projectors and AV equipment now after a big remodel in the junior college that is rented out for this event, so I didn't have to bring my own projector and equipment this time, which is a nice change.

See some of you soon.

Chris

o

Irawon, happy birthday!
You and Don in Colorado share the birthday I believe.

Lifelong learning it is for me too. Believe in that. Keep the mind stretched and the body busy, and you'll stay sharp longer.

Sha-Boom, Sha-Boom, Life could be a dream sweetheart! So enjoy.

o

Hey - belated Happy Birthday Irawon. Hope Ottawa had an appropriate celebration for you - perhaps broke out some fresh SNOW lol.
Jan

o

Happy belated birthday, irawon....At least 2 Pisces Hostaholics here(March 14, yes? Mine too) Hope you see those pips real soon, temperature permitting!

Don B.
Westminster, CO.

o

Don and Chris and all who r interested in this Hosta College,

We like going to Hosta College, but are passing this year. I've done Chris' HVX class (very good) and another HVX class by a rep from Agdia.

The only classes I was hot for this year were by DonR, but between gas, time, hotels, food, and several other things, we're sorry to have to pass this year.

Besides, I'm hoping to wrangle an invite to DonR's gardens this year, and trying to think of what cool gift to bring to show appreciation for the gift he brought us during his visit to our gardens last year.

After reading the description of yor class for this year at HC, DonR, I'm even more interested to come visit, and it made me wonder if you know Glen Pace over in the Tri-Cities area of MI who has so many interesting, odd, and rare plant varieties in his garden at his Dad's house? I'm thinking ' ya, sure ya do'.

For all'ya'all not from the Great Lakes area, I do believe this event is worth planning a 'mini-vacation' to attend. Further planning could net ya visits to Walter's, Chris' Hallson Gardens, DonR, Lisik Gardens (waaaay cool), ummm, us, Wade Botanical Gardens, and even the AHS President is in the general area (the Great Lakes). I could so help you plan even more delightful treasures to visit in the MI, OH, IN triangle. Just now I'm remembering K Gardens in the Grand Rapids MI area as well. There's a really fun gal in Interlochen MI that I like to visit and tease and swap stories with, but be sure to check with me to make sure you get the 'correct' Interlochen MI hosta garden to visit, as there's one that is not quite so fun there. I believe Gisela from this forum is also in the Grand Rapids MI area, and I think I found a YouTube of her gardens and would like to visit!

We are seriously NOT travelers for pleasure since we're already living in 'God's Country', but have still found it worth it to go to this 'College' several times. Besides the classes, it's a great 'people' event, much more personal than major events like the National. Or so I say ;-)

Don, Chris, thanks for your participation, both of you have really good things to share.

hh

o

Moccasin, Jan, Don thanks for the B-day wishes. I got everything I wished for.. my immediate family including my first grandchild were here to celebrate with me. Life is good and will be gooder when I see those first pips break through the ground. As you suspected, Jan, it did snow.

o

Yada da da da da; yada da da da da- 'SHABOOM'!
In my early bebop that translates to Happy Birthday!

I wish I could go. I'd love to visit Hallson and meet you Chris. I do greatly admire you. In this day of computerized digital voices and electronic messages, you bring a 'real' business professional person to us here at HF, and this gal for one appreciates that and am not ashamed to say it..
Theresa (:o>)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here