Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostamanphil

In need of Spring fix

hostamanphil
12 years ago

Hi all.It is 60 degrees outside and gorgeous.But everything is brown and dormant.I need a fix of spring pics.Here are some of mine from last year.Let's see some of your spring pics(does not need to be only hosta).Phil

Liberty unfurling

Cynthia

War Paint-before it greens up

Comments (15)

• mctavish6
    12 years ago

Good Idea and nice pictures Phil. I can use a hit of 'garden' too. I can't grow Azaleas here and probably have the ugliest one anywhere.

Looking at last years pictures was both encouraging and discouraging. I know that spring is coming but it seems impossibly far away. Two months to most of these shots.

My two future Vole catchers (I hope)

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

54 degrees today, so I worked in the garden. Just weeding and cleanup, but it felt so good. Crocus blooming in Z5 on March 11!

You can see a honey bee in one of these flowers. They were all over the crocus, thrilled to find flowers in bloom, no doubt.

montana Aureomarginata showing green on the pips. Only 2 months till the last frost free date here in Central Mass.

You're damn right it's Spring.

Steve

• sshoop1zone4a
    12 years ago

New front Hosta garden put in last summer in July.

The large Hosta garden that was built and planted in 2010, although I did move a few hostas from 2009 into it

Love this corner the best, hard to believe the impatiens started as small plugs in early summer

Part of the back perenial garden, I love the colors and fragrance of oriental lillies

The rain garden in late summer looking a little overgrown

All these picture makes me long for spring. We are supossed to be in the 60's all week so hopefully by this time next week the snow will all be gone.
    Samantha

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

You have wonderful pictures of last year's spring! I had my spring fix today, beautiful day at 55 dgrs. All week it will be above 60 here in zone 5. I was outside tying bundles of white pine branches, raked, had a refreshment, uncovered beds, gave presents into mouse holes. It felt good working outside, cleaning up the yard, some sun in the face, simply enjoying it. Spring is here!!
    Bernd

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Yes beautiful pictures love the rain garden with all the lilies and phlox. I was outside today also pulling weeds and actually watered the beds. It has been so dry here and no snow this winter. What a difference compared to last summer and fall with two hurricanes. In both August and September we had over 20 inches of rain fall each month here in eastern Pa.

Scott

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    12 years ago

Shot about an hour ago....

Pieter

• caliloo
    12 years ago

These were taken before I did a littl eclean-up... pardon the leaves and detritus. The hellebores have been blooming here in balmy Philly suburbs since Feb 1!!!!!

Yes, those are hellebore seedlings sprouting under the primrose

{{gwi:573111}}

Spring has sprung!

Oh, and my indoor Meyer lemon is blooming too....

{{gwi:573107}}

Alexa

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

Well,after looking at these pics,I feel my garden is not worthy,but I will post one of mine. This is a pic of part of my garden from last spring. Phil

{{gwi:946967}}

• indymom76
    12 years ago

Wonderful pictures!! I was out Friday and yesterday in the yard-raking up leaves, checking out how everybody-er-I mean the hosta were doing. Lots of eyes are up in my yard. Sagae, Blazing Saddles, and Invincible just to name a few. Getting the beds ready for mulch-DD's school has a mulch sale in the spring-prices are comparable to other companies and free delivery!! I've been working on the backyard and the ground cover out there. Slowly hacking away at it and getting rid of it. Making way for more hosta!

Happy Monday, everyone!!

BTW-Mctavish-are you on a lake?

• paul_in_mn
    12 years ago

Been warm here, so checked on the hosta I have on 3-season porch and had a surprise....a number of the seedlings were up quite a bit. This is a 2nd year Ebb Tide OP seedling that is up almost 4 inches. So my spring fix is coming soon. It's 2 months till average last frost date so going to have some greenhouse chores for a while. Haven't started any seedlings so far this year, but may start some yet this month. Will start my Elephant Ears and Voodoo Lily bulbs in the next couple of weeks.

Paul

• franknjim
    12 years ago

I couldn't wait so I forced 40 pots of new to me hosta indoors starting February 1st along with 25 flats of annual flowers from seeds. Twenty eight flats as of this morning and I still have another 6 weeks before I can put anything outside.

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

Maybe one more.... Here is a small section of my garden that most of ya'll who visit the forum regularly know,but for the new peeps here it is. Phil

{{gwi:946971}}

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Hip-hip-hooray! Seventy for the first time in months.

Fothergilla gardenii and Maidenhair fern last spring.

{{gwi:251186}}

tj

• indymom76
    12 years ago

BTW-Phil-I love your gardens! I find myself in awe many times on here looking at these stunning photos wishing I could arrange my garden as some of you do. I'm working on it though and that's half the fun, right?

• mctavish6
    12 years ago

indymom76, The lake in the picture is the Shuswap Lake located at the top of the Okanagan valley in south/central BC. We have a view of the lake on the west side of the house but are about a mile and a half away from it and up a hill.