Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Cold Damage - Now What?

bkay2000
10 years ago

I don't think I've had exactly this kind of cold damage before. They're all mangled and shriveled. Some came through with Flying Colors, including Keven Vaughn's So Sweet. Guacamole is in good shape, as are Fragrant Bouquet and Royal Standard. (We had a 16 degree morning after the fragrants came up. I put them in the shed and covered them. Unfortunately, Fragrant Dream, Invincible and Honeybells look awful.

What happens? Do they put out new leaves? Will they cover these leaves with new leaves? Should I cut back the uglies? Can I do anything other than sit still and do nothing?

bk

Invincible

Fragrant Dream
{{gwi:947044}}
Honeybells
{{gwi:947046}}

Comments (15)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

If you are sure this is cold damage then all you can do is wait for them to grow through it. Some remaining distorted leaves may be present through the whole season.

In general these are quite hardy, the best situation would be to have them planted in the ground in a suitable shaded position in a woodland-like environment such as beneath trees or on the shady side of a structure.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hi BKay,

I had the same thing happen to several hostas early last year, here is my 'Invincible' from 2013 still leafing out. I don't know that there is anything you can really do after the cold zaps 'em. It leafed out pretty nicely and was still a pretty good-looking plant. After the second flush, I pretty much forgot they had been damaged at all. I kept the leaves, scarred as they were, on the plant just so it'd collect as much sun energy as possible. You can remove the leaves, but it might end up looking sparse and kinda 'naked'. Healthwise, they should be fine, albeit a little 'ragged' on the parts that were bitten. I think you should just leave 'em be.

Regards,
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Here's the same plant on August 7th. 2013. Not too bad. I can't really tell which leaves got zapped; I possibly removed them in the summer, but I honestly can't recall whether I did or not.

Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

ALL ... and i mean .... ALL .. fragrant hosta ... that plantaginea gene ... are subject to cold/frost/freeze damage ...

and that is what i see in the pix above ...

per chance.. did you poke these ... lol ... like that other guys post???

ken

ps: never cut on them this early.. even a damage leaf can do beneficial things .... if they fail and brown.. pull them off in a month or two ... if they just remain ugly.. wait until some other flush starts to cover them ...

Here is a link that might be useful: i tried to warn you

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, Ken I did not poke or peek at them. They just came up after a few days of warm temps and sunshine. Allmost all are showing pips now. Both So Sweets are already in full leaf. We just get an early start.

Bboy, I assume you are new or you wouldn't have said that. Welcome to the forum. Stick around and you will appreciate the joys of growing hosta in pots.

Don, thanks. I'm sure you're right. My Guac came through with flying colors. Invincible is just poorly named. It's pretty, but sensitive to everything.

bk

My So Sweet #1 today

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Your #1 looks like #1....that is, a real beauty.! Really looking forward to seeing mine emerge...some time....this year, lol...more snow and low of -18 tonight...but it can't last forever. :-)

Love your pics Bkay...even with the "cold sores".

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would put the plantiginea.. the fragrant ones.. in the garage ...

but then.. you have all of them.. dont you ...

ken

• User
    10 years ago

Jo, below ZERO? You poor baby, come on down where we are enjoying foggy misty mornings and how slightly cool breezes.

Bk, your So Sweet No. 1 is gorgeous, do not think it sustained long term damage. After I visit the doc tomorrow , hope I can be back among my babies, wearing a dust mask to protect my breathing. Plus sitting down to repot and relabel. The sun did a number on readability of my labels.

Never concerned about labels of other plants, but MUST KNOW the name and history of every hosta.

10 years ago

Thanks for the sympathy, Mocc! How I'd love to be sitting in your corner of the world...but I wouldn't be doing much sitting, lol when there is so much to see in your garden...I'd be lost in hosta heaven for hours and hours. You take care, y'hear? Hugs, Jo

Bkay....I just remembered the damage sustained (same look as your cold damaged ones) on my Honeybells and AlboMarginata last year when roofers next door covered my hosta with blue tarp, then proceeded to tromp all over with ladders, boots and other gear. Three quarters of the plant was affected. I wanted to remove the damaged ones immediately because it was so unsightly but there were too many so I removed only a couple that were broken in half. By mid summer surprisingly it didn't look as bad as it should have, thankfully. You grow your hosta beautifully so I can appreciate how disconcerting it must be to have any leaf misshapen. Take heart, they will likely look great as they continue to fill out.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo, I should show you So Sweet #2. I got both from the same (not to be named) source.

On number 1, I accidentally ordered three of them. So I just put them all in one pot. (That was my first online hosta order.) Instantly, (the next year), I had a really nice pot of hosta. It rivaled some I'd had for years. I've loved it ever since.

On number 2, I ordered three So Sweets. I received 3 slices from a huge hosta with a few roots on them. The next year, they reverted to juvenile leaves. I didn't think it would ever amount to much, but it did. It's going to be one of my faves, too.

Ken, you're right. I should have put them in the garage. The garage is attached, so it doesn't get that cold. But, it's a front entry garage, and I didn't want to truck them around the house to the garage. I was lazy. I hoped the shed and sheets would do...it didn't. Live and Learn. I'll truck them around the house next time they talk about morning temps in the teens. (We don't have much of that.) As my dear old grandpa used to say, "Some people live and learn and some just live." I hope I am in the first category.

bk

10 years ago

Yes please...show your #2 So Sweet...how many times have you up potted them now? In your opinion, Would a three-year stint in the same pot suffice for a not-so-fast grower? Is there a hard and fast rule/guideline about that sort of thing? (Other than checking for roots coming out of the bottom)

I would imagine the vigorous growers would need an annual increase in pot size? I have a new SS which I want to continue to grow in its pot and am curious. Thank you.

I have to say that I enjoyed looking after my potted hosta as an experiment. I would often pick up a pot or two or three, sit down and admire them from every angle, ruffling their leaves and generally speaking, being so happy doing so. They truly are a thing of beauty.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So Sweet #2 today.

I think it's going to be a nice fluffy So Sweet that stays pretty until August when it sprawls.

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 8:22

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

My hosta look like that every year, its unavoidable in the north. They recover fine. You cant see the damage to the emerging leaves in the fully unfurled July hosta.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Unbidden. I hoped for that good news.

bk

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear you got nipped. That happens here some years - I just avert my eyes and leave the leaves unless they die. By June the damage isn't as obvious. 16 degree nights here, too, but only the spring bulbs, iris and day lilies are up, so no damage done.