Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Center of Attention, Pathfinder and American Sweetheart

Posted by ejr2005 Eastern MA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 14:06

I wanted to add a couple of white centered hostas to have some more diversity in hosta looks. The few that I have seem to be doing alright. I have a lot of shade and some areas with more sun - centers burning out does not seem to be a problem - I have Summer Music in two places and they both seem to be very happy hostas looking good through the summer. My real problem seems to be root competition, but I'm not going to cut down the trees and am too lazy to do spin out bags.

I know Center of Attention is a bit difficult but I love the photos and prefer smaller (running out of room). Is there anything one can do to make it less difficult? American Sweetheart and Pathfinder are also interesting and medium sized. I think they are easier to grow.

Would love to hear your comments.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Center of Attention, Pathfinder and American Sweetheart

Here's 2nd year of Americana, a Loyalist sport. Seems to have more green than Loyalist.
Hosta 'Americana' Pictures, Images and Photos

Chain Lightning, also 2nd year pic
Hosta 'Chain Lightning' Pictures, Images and Photos

Both of these are medium size and growing ok so far.

Paul

o

I know Center of Attention is a bit difficult

==>>> that is right up there with saying GE is a bit difficult.. .. i will yell.. SKIP IT ...

AS is easy as pie ... and has a nice flower show .... in perfect proportion to the mound.. on white stalks.. and almost pink flowers held straight up .. if i recall properly

ken

o

Ken likes American Sweetheart and with good reason. He has one that is gorgeous. If you are looking for larger white centered varieties try Night Before Christmas or Sharp Dressed Man. Both grow well. I agree with skipping COA.

Steve

o

McTavish has a nice pic of Center of Attention in the recent alphabet soup. I have never managed a photo of mine before the slugs have had their way. As a result, this has never been one of my favorites.

the other Steve

o

My center of Attention was planted in lots of sun and was new and already a reasonable size this year. I'll have to see how it does this year and if it can take the sun. One of my best white centered plants is Warwick Comet. It isn't large - kind of like a Tiara size. It doesn't melt out and looks good until the end of the season. It is planted in aprox. 4 hours of mid day sun so I don't know what it would do in shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here