Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fragrant Queen

Posted by bkay2000 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 14:14

I lost Fragrant Queen over the winter. I'm debating replacing it. I would not replace it at the price I paid for it, that's for sure.

It was fairly small when I got it in May 2012
 photo DSCN0808.jpg

It did fine in 2012 (It didn't get Cleo'd)
 photo DSCN0856.jpg

We had a bad spring in 2013 and it barely made it.
 photo DSCN1132.jpg

It appeared to do ok in 2013, although it didn't increase.
 photo DSCN1492.jpg

It didn't come back this year. Is this a difficult hosta? I really like the way it looks. It's supposed to be a tetraploid, which, although few, have not done so well for me.

Would you replace it?

bk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fragrant Queen

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 14:48

I got mine in 2009, one eye. It stayed one eye, although each year it came back larger. Last year it surprised me with 3 big eyes. This year it is back to two eyes, but those eyes are whoppers.. over an inch thick at the base and the first leaf to open is larger than my hand. Has it come down in price? It is a breathtaking hosta. Slow for me but worth it.

-Babka

o

Thanks, Babka, It has really come down in price. Chris has it for around $14.00. That's why I was considering replacing it.

bk

o

I would replace it. But I don't grow FQ in a pot. I bought mine as a liner (mistake) and it's been on a slow but steady increase. The variegation on this plant is really lovely.

Steve

o

Steve, I have no hosta in the ground. I won't be doing that in the near future. Thanks for the suggestion, though. What's the reasoning behind it?

bk

o

No special reasoning, bkay. I wasn't suggesting you grow it in the ground, just that it may grow differently in a pot. I plant my fragrant varieties just off my deck.

FQ is a tetraploid, which generally means a shorter, thicker, slower growing plant with bigger margins than its parent. I don't really know what that means for pot growing. But I wouldn't give up on it yet. Especially if you are getting one from Chris (which I should have done.)

Steve

o

I though about buying h. 'Fragrant Queen'. All kids of plantaginea love sun, have a good spot for it. Bernd.

o

I misread what you wrote. Sorry, Steve.

bk

o

Steve, was it your 'Fragrant Queen' that you mentioned had flowers almost as large as plantaginea? (Maybe it was 'Fragrant King', or maybe I'm simply mistaken).

Don B.

P.S. Indeed, BKay. For $13.50 @ Hallson Gardens, I'd try it again. After all these good pics, I may just order it myself.

o

Yes, Don. The flowers on FQ are larger than on the usual fragrant plant. They aren't as long as momma plantaginea, but they are the largest I've seen. Sorry don't have a pic.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here