Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiddisolo_gw

Van den Top order arrives

M y order despatched on Monday arrived this morning. Not bad service from Holland.
It looks to me like they may have been a bit warm and maybe a bit short of light at the nursery. The top growth is very soft and very pale, fortunately I have a greenhouse I can keep them in until I can harden them off. I will cover them with fleece tonight as temperatures are forecast to go below freezing.
Good roots and apart from the very new varieties good sized plants.

Celebrity, Child of the Queen and Bridal Falls

Millennium, Holy Mole and Marilyn Monroe

Ice Follies, Broad Band and Ocean Isle

All potted up and ready to go.

Dave

Comments (13)

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

Beautiful Plants Dave.Great roots!! Hope I get as many pips on Marilyn Monroe as you got.I'm not getting mine until May.Will let him grow them on for me.But wish it was warm enough to plant them now.

James

• uk-hostaman
    10 years ago

Great hostas,one of only 2 suppliers I use,never had any problems from Van den Top...always great plants!
    Uk

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    10 years ago

They look fantastic Dave, great root systems, nice to know what stage my order will be at when it arrives next week. Got to prepare to shelter them, not so warm here either.

Thanks for the show and tell.

Denis

10 years ago

uk-hostaman, who is your other supplier?

• User
    10 years ago

I was going to remark that Marilyn Monroe sure has a nice bunch of eyes growing. Very energetic hosta, and yours looks lovely. Nice haul. Thanks for sharing with us.

I just discovered Ocean Isle myself, and have it on order from Hallsons here in the US. The description I read included "non-burning, slug resistant, gold-edged, H. sieboldiana-type" ... and it is a large 'ElDorado' sport. registered 2006 to Dave Chopko/Bob Solberg.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Great looking plants, Dave. Looks like an outstanding nursery.

Mocc, Here's Ocean Isle in a convention garden. It's the one in front.

Steve

• uk-hostaman
    10 years ago

Mountainy_man
    The other supplier I use is Fransens hostas also in holland,not as big as vans plants but have all the really new ones and also free from viruses
    Uk

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Denis, I have used Fransens for many years, always great plants and spend more than â¬50 and you get the free plant of the month. What's not to like and it takes no time at all to spend that much !
    Dave

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Well,if you judge by roots,and I do, they should grow really well. Good choices and plants! Hope they grow well for you. My hostas are coming up like crazy here,and it's finally time for gardening! Phil

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Great pic, Steve. A beautiful sea of hostas.

Don B.

10 years ago

uk-hostaman and Dave,

Ah ok, good stuff, I thought there might be another that I'd not come across yet, I have had 2 orders from Fransen so far in october and february. I have no complaints, great roots and cant wait for them to leaf out.

This will be my first with van den Top, itching to get my hands on them!

Thanks

Denis

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Denis, I can also recommend Mickfield Hostas in Suffolk. I have bought mail order, bought from them at RHS shows and visited the nursery several times. Plants are always of top quality and postage is cheaper than from Europe.
    I'm hoping to get to the RHS Malvern spring show in May to maybe get a few more. Sue Procter plants in Yorkshire also have some nice plants, got a couple from them last year when they had a stand at Gardeners World Live in Birmingham.
    Dave

10 years ago

Thanks Dave, I'm familiar with the Mickfield website but didn't know about quality, nice to have a recomendation, its a very good helpfull website.

Sue Proctor is a new on on me although I'm sure I've heard the name before. Its great to have all these options if we can't find what we want at the old reliables.

Thanks again its been really helpfull.

Denis