Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should i dig up and replant

Posted by grumpygardenguy 7 northern AL (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 14:31

Two of my larger hostas (by ground coverage) have lifted in the center so the pips aren't peaking out of the ground they are right there on top for you to see. They are quite small compared to the ones around it comming from under the topsoil. SO do i need to dig up the whole magila or just slice out the center. I'm guessing, that portion would do much better if it were under ground instead of above ground. I figure if i just added soil, it would sooner or later, just wash away.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should i dig up and replant

Well,others may say different,but I have hostas just like that,and they do fine every year. My hostas always get covered in the winter by a ton of Oak leaves,so they never get frozen,or anything. You are further south than me,so reasonably,your hostas should not be harmed either. Just my opinion,but listen to what others may say. Phil

o

cut out the middle... put back some fresh soil ...

replant the piece somewhere else if you want it ...

i think you have the beginning of what we call FAIRY RING .... just like the lawn ... hard to tell w/o a picture ...

perhaps you can find info about that somewhere in the links at the hosta library ...

ken

o

Read here about Fairy Rings in Hostas and how to deal with them....

Pieter

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Fairy Rings

o

yep that first picture is exactly how it looks. it's 2 of my oldest patriots, that used to have much larger leaves, but as it's gotten larger in girth the leaves have increasingly gotten smaller. So what i guess i'll do is dig out the center and replant it elsewhere and maybe put a lilly in the center. might look a tad odd though. wish i could remember what those flowers were that have absolutely no leaf but a tall stock and cool looking star burst kind of flower. Only thing about that is they only bloom at the end of summer and with no greenery still a big hole in center of hosta the rest of the time, but would look cool for about a week.

o

I think the flower you're thinking of is a surprise lily (Lycoris radiata). Its leaves are up now in my western PA garden. They'll die soon, then in August a single stalk will emerge to be topped with pale pink, spidery flowers (so it's also called the spider lily). They're a nice compliment to hosta except that they prefer a sunnier location than hostas usually want. Incidentally, my Krossa Regal has formed a fairy ring that is noticeable in the spring but as soon as the leaves reach their full size, the fairy ring is totally undetectable so I'm just leaving it the way it is. Nance

o

i dont think what you dig up.. will be worth planting .... just get rid of it ....

i have come to the conclusion is simply an age issue ...

that crown in the middle is just geriatric ... and then that is complicated by other things ...

ken

o

There were surprise lilies blooming in the hosta garden at Missouri Botanical Gardens one fall when I was there. Stunning, those huge pink flowers among all the hostas! I grow them in my garden, and they grow in all sorts of shade and sun locations so I don't think they are really that fussy. Besides, they get in a lot of growth before the leaves are on the trees.

o

One of those that I have is Kiwi Full Monty,which shows a sorta fairy ring right now,but when it leafs out it looks like this. It's the one on the left of this pic. That's why I don't worry about it. (The left one of the large ones,not the small one at far left). Take a look Phil

Photobucket

o

hmm that is odd, that caption says there is 12 inches of mulch under those unfurling leaves so it must be an opticle illusion. anywho, your probably right Ken that that center mass is so dried and tuffened with age that it wont produce much. I may just pot some up and experiment with them. Nothing frankenstienish, just see if any of the old eyes have some life left. THose patriots were my very first hostas, so i have a soft spot for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here