Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Hosta Leaf Bingo

paul_in_mn
15 years ago

Still snow and cold with signs of optimism in the forecast here, so while playing with my photo album program - I noticed that the collage was very similar to a bingo card - so with no pips or unfurling in sight----

***HOSTA LEAF BINGO***

Name five in row Horizontally, Vertically, or Diagonally

Hostaholic Challenge Level - Fill the Card

{{gwi:948075}}

Yes I'm bored. Hope you enjoy~~

Paul

Comments (40)

• caliloo
    15 years ago

What a phenominal idea!

Okay - my hosta ID brain cells are still dormant, but I'll take a shot at the middle vertical column.....

From the top:

Ringtail
    Paradigm
    (freespace)
    Thunderbolt
    Patriot

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Caliloo, Thanks for getting it started -- 1 correct, 2 look a likes and a new one to add to my list - lol, unexpected bonus. Give it another shot.

Paul

• pandora
    15 years ago

Paul,
    This is a fantastic idea!!!
    Thanks for all your work puttin this together.
    I'll try the last column (vertical)

Paul's Glory , but I cannot really tell it and Gold Standard apart
    Whirlwind
    Blue Arrow
    Fragrant Bouquet
    Montana Aureomarginata

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Okey Dokey then..... I am going to take a shot that Paradigm is the one correct, and the 3rd one is either Dream Weaver or Dream Queen (I think those are the two that resemble T-bolt) and the last is Minuteman?

I am further guessing that Ringtail is wrong, but it is the one you are adding to your wish list LOL! So I am stumped on the first one.....

Seems like every direction I look, there is at least 1 that I would totally have to WAG at! LOL!

Alexa

• sunnygirl70
    15 years ago

This is very cool!!! I am new to the Hosta world. I have a few in my front bed and would like turn it in to an all hosta bed. A few weeks back I just purchased Hosta "Guacamole"! they are very cool and am excited to get them going!! Thanks for pics I will check back to see what the others are..
    Thanks, Lisa

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pandora - your instincts are as good as gold, four are correct.

Alexa - good deductions just need to solve that last leaf.

Paul

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Can I guess at the one I think Pandora has wrong????

Alexa

• caliloo
    15 years ago

And another guess since I am still baffled by the wavy edged one........ bottom row (left to right):

Frances Williams
    Northern Halo
    Miniteman
    Pandora's Box
    m. Aureomarginata

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alexa, go ahead guess at as many as you want. 3 right on the last guess, celebrations will help you with the other 2 (hint).

Paul

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

Here are my wild guesses. The last ones I took a stab at were Leading Lady and Pineapple Poll.

This is a nice way to spend a day that is nearly -20 c.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

McT, good to hear from you.

row 1 (top) - 1 correct

row 2 - 3 correct

row 3 - 3 of 4 correct

row 4 - 1 correct

row 5 (bottom) - 4 of 5 correct

Hint - You also have 2 correct names in wrong locations.

Now I have to go look up some of your guesses to examine similarities.

Paul

• caliloo
    15 years ago

That middle one on the right that both McT ad Pandora thought was Blue Arrow, looks just like my Reptillian... that would be my guess for that one.... and I think the lower left might be Christmas Tree.....

Alexa

• pandora
    15 years ago

Paul, glad my instincts were right :) Since your name is Paul, it swayed my guess.

Boy, Caliloo just might be right, but it sure looks like Blue Arrow,
    but I don't have Reptillian to compare to and I have wanted it a couple years.
    ((hint, hint to caliloo)) :)

Paul, what if I switched Sunshine Glory instead of Fragrant Bouquet? - (5,4) last column 4th down

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alexa - your two changes gained 1 and lost 1 - its ok to be 'Blue'.

Pandora - don't want to mislead you - good as 'GOLD' was the hint. Last switch not so sunny.

Tried to pick mostly common hostas, but of courses it depends on what you have I suppose.

Don't have one named for me but there is one for my wife on the board.

Paul

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

After reading the clues you gave, here are the ones I changed. I have the most hope that the bottom row is right.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

McT - bottom row and last column are correct - way to finish those off. Of the other 15 leaves, 9 are incorrect, but you definitely have a couple of look-a-likes. Also you have 1 more that is correct name on different leaf. 2nd column is 1 of 5 correct and top row 2 of 5 are correct - love to give you more hints, but I'll stand pat for now.

Paul

• pandora
    15 years ago

Awwwwww shoot. McT posted before I could. :(
    After I posted, I wondered if "Gold" was a hint for
    Gold Standard.

I am happy I was rigfht about Blue Arrow, because it is a favorite of mine.
    Of course, I probably have about 30 favorites. heehee

This was great fun! Thanks again, Paul.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pandora- Your welcome! Give another row a shot if you have time. Been a fun exercise to see how similar many Hosta are especially when we try to match to our own gardens.

Paul

• caliloo
    15 years ago

WTG you two on sticking with Blue Arrow..... That leaf could have come from my Reptillian though LOL!

I'm going to take another stab at the fourth column....

From the top:

Big Daddy
    Sagae
    Orange Marmalade
    Loyalist
    Pandora's Box

I have another idea about the 4th on the list, but I am going with Loyalist on a whim.

Alexa

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alexa Almost there 4 out of 5, stay loyal and look to my last message to McT, I left a hint that may not be obvious.

Paul

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Ah HA!!!!

Would that be......

Love Pat
    Sagae
    Orange Marmalade
    Loyalist
    Pandora's Box

(I am absolutely loving this game and your hints are awesome! hanks againf or all the hard work!)

Alexa

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Congrats Alexa, that would also be reference early to my wife Pat.

Upward diagonal is only missing 1 - since you know that Christmas Tree, Free Space, Sagae, amd Gold Standard are all correct. The missing one is one of my favorites and has been around for quite some time. If you saw pic of complete plant you'd know it (Hint - part of its name has been used for other named hosta.)

{{gwi:948075}}
    Update on Completed Bingos
    {{gwi:948078}}

Paul

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

Ok, I'll try again.
    From the last hints you gave I had 6 right and 9 wrong

6 RIGHT:

Elvis LIves
    Leading Lady
    Sagae
    Paradigam
    Orange Marmalade
    Katherine Lewis

Wide Brim to American Halo (right name in wrong place)
    As Alexa said:
    ADG - Love Pat
    Pathfinder - Loyalist
    Dreamweaver to Thunderbolt
    Green Fountain back to Pineapple Poll ( I changed the wrong one?)

Undulata Albo Marg to Antioch
    Undulata Mid Rib to Risky Business
    American Halo to Twilight
    Summer Music to Captian Kirk

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mc T, Using your Categories

6 RIGHT - 3 are not (Sagae and Orange Marmalade are good from solved column)

CHANGE - 2 right - Love Pat, Loyalist (both from solved so far) lost 1 on change

STILL TO FIGURE - 1 right (lost 2 with changes, but 1 change was good)

Hope I got that straight - lol

Hints - 1st row and 3rd row - 1 leaf in each has not yet been guessed correctly by anyone, the rest in those rows have been listed at sometime in this thread. In addition the one not guessed yet in 3rd row is well known, yours is perhaps is a bit more sun.

Paul

Paul

• paulasm
    15 years ago

I like your bingo game and have several of the ones you have phogographed, but would like to know which hosta you think would be best for a sunnier location? I have some in shade which are doing way too well! Now, I want some in a courtyard area that does get sun and my trees are not large enough to supply much shade yet.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Paulasm - most of my hosta are fairly shaded, just added a bed in more sun last year, so I don't have a lot of experience with sun loving hosta. I planted Liberty, Sun Power, Abba Dabba Do, Maui Buttercup, Plantaginea, Guacamole, and On Stage in this bed all should do well. I also have Gold Standard and Fragrant Bouquet in some sun. I've linked to lists compiled by Don Rawson and hosted by pietertje, click on the sun tolerant list.

I'd suggest starting a new topic and let people know what your looking for size, color... I'm zone 4 so what works well for me may be a little different in zone 6. Many very knowledgeable hosta people on this board that are glad to help. Hopefully they will post some pics for you as well.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Don Rawson's Hosta Lists

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Found an old thread with leaf pics - nothing to do with bingo but some great pics.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Leaf Thread

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll post an answer key late Wednesday. Go ahead and guess individual squares if you would like to fill it up.

Snow has been melting like crazy here, so getting anxious, but will be too soggy to play in the garden for awhile. Thanks for playing and passing the time with me.

Paul

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

Can't wait to see what they are. My brains have become scrambled. I've changed the changes to the changes and have no idea where I am. No flowers, no spring only more snow here.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Last clues for Hosta Bingo

Here are 4 additional names that have been put into correct spots and guessed at some point-

{{gwi:948079}}

Take a risk and make a guess - need something blue, gold and sun loving to get you closer to the permanent answers.

Paul

ps - I hinted at 5 of last 7 above

• treemon
    15 years ago

Great fun. I'm getting confused, but I'll play. 1B is Risky Business. 2A is Fortunei Aureomarginata. 2B is Northern Halo or Northern Exposure. 3B is Sun Power (in rather heavy shade). 1C is Permanent Wave. 4A is Tokudama Aureonebulosa.

So many look alike without the context of size. Please end the punishment soon!

Mark

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Mark - Good job Risky Business, Fortunei Auremarginata (Gold Crown), Sun Power, and Permanent Wave are correct. You got 4 of 5 hints.

4A is a look-a-like to TA for sure and has not been mentioned yet.
    2b has been mentioned in guesses before, but not to correct leaf. And is widely known.
    4b's name has not been mentioned in this thread yet and is from the late 80's and from a long list of similarly named hosta.

All three left have now had hints.

Paul

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

One final stab at solving the puzzle. We had a slight bit of sun before snow then sun again. The weather is as mixed up as I am.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

McT - Yes on Blue Shadows, Risky Business, Sun Power and Abiqua Moonbeam.

From Mark's post above we also know-
    1C is Permanent Wave
    2A is Fortunei Aureomarginata (Gold Crown)

So the last one to find is 2B

'2b has been mentioned in guesses before, but not to correct leaf. And is widely known'

Paul

• treemon
    15 years ago

Wide Brim. I think McT guessed that earlier.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's the one - Thanks for finishing it off.

{{gwi:948081}}

Thanks all for helping to pass one more week, only ?? weeks to go......

Paul

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Oh Paul! Thanks ever so much for doing this - it was WAY fun even if I didn't do well on the guesses. You have given us all inspiration for taking leaf shots for next year to create lots of bingo cards to pass the winter.

This was sheer brilliance on your part!

Alexa

• hostarhodo
    15 years ago

Paul,
    Very well done,I only got a few correct. I noted that in your final reveal 2a and 4e are both showing Risky Business. In the previous ones 4e is Pandora's Box.

I do not mean to be picking you apart, just do not want someone to mistake the leaves for ID purposes.

Definitely do this again. Too bad we could not call a win and someone gets a prize. Like hostas in the mail.

Betty

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Alexa - it was fun for me as well. Hard to guess without seeing a whole plant. Learned a bit about similar looking hosta and passed some time as well. Maybe we can do this again next winter. Pretty easy to set up.

Thanks Betty - You're right should be Pandora's Box on the Picture Key. Sharper eyes than mine. I've update the photo so new viewers should see it correct, else reload/refresh page and I think change will show correctly.

Paul

• pzelko
    15 years ago

Woo!! this was way too crazey for me!! glad that I was not guessing, who won and what was the prise? Just a little dizzy with all the names running around in my head.

LOL

Was way cool!!!

Paul

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County