Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no hose reels, please

Posted by andi_mn z4MN (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 15:11

hi, this is kind of attn: ken, years ago you posted how you got water to all of your garden. you set up fence posts and had hoses inbetween? wondering if you still have those instructions. anybody else on how to get water to the south 40? i have a hosta garden quite a distance from my water source and i'm just getting too old to haul and connect, etc everytime i have to water. and i've got a hunch we here in the midwest might have to water more this year. strange, strange weather here in minnesota. totally feels like end of may or june. swans and sandhill cranes overhead and one bluebird back checking out the house (s)
can not wait for my hostas to be up and another yr of gardening. thanks all, andi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no hose reels, please

hey andi

jr's birthday this weekend.. i am a little jammed for time.. so bear with me ...

if i understand.. all you want is spigot extension across a long area??

yes???

i recall the post you mention.. but SEARCH function has not worked ... any recollection of a title??? .. but the pix are dated 2008 .. so it might be long gone from GW ...

i suggest.. that you work with one inch black pipe ... to cover ground.. probably cheaper than hose.. and will last forever.. but if you want hose .. so be it..

pix below of the spigot extension ... any metal stake can be pounded into the ground ... it does not have to be a fence post ...

i gave this to the neighbor.. so off the house.. they have a Y, so they can still use the house spigot .. and down 100 feet to the back of the yard.. and across 50 feet.. they have old hose ... to the bottom of the gizmo ... i suggested to them.. they buy new hose for use.. and dedicate old hose to the system ... bigboxstore sells hose in bulk.. make your own lengths ...

this is NOT a pressure system.. so it gets turned off at night ... not left on forever ... and of course.. must be uncoupled and drained for winter ...

that is my house and garden behind ...

ken
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

ken! thanks so much. the pics are worth a thousand words and were exactly what i remembered. i even got hose for this project Last summer. now if i can corner the old man before fishing starts up again....andi

o

too bad the title you put is UNsearchable ...

i might have to carry this over to a new post

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here