Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_on

Hottest Hostas

jan_on zone 5b
11 years ago

The spring newsletter of the Ontario Hosta Society contains a fun list compiled from suggestions by 14 hosta retailers in Southern Ontario - "Hottest Hostas to Have in 2013". Are any of these on your list?
Totally Awe Sum
Empress Wu
June
Liberty
Rainforest Sunrise
Bridal Falls
Giantland Sunny Mouse Ears
Humpback Whale
Emerald Charger
Rainbow's End

I only have 4 of these, so I can shop!
Jan

Comments (18)

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Yes, if I find a liberty or a June, I'll buy it. Unless it's frangrant, I don't plan on any mail orders this year.

bk

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Totally Awe Sum is very different (odd), a small sport of Sum and Substance. Tried to get one last year as a liner. Have no idea if it will grow well, pricey ($25+) I believe.

Bridal Falls (a white margined sport of Niagara Falls) is listed at a Mother's Day weekend plant sale locally, so will probably pick one up.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Totally Awe Sum - HL

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Empress Wu
    Liberty
    Bridal Falls
    Emerald Charger
    RainbowâÂÂs End

are all ordered and set to arrive in May.

I already have June and intend at some point to get Rainforest Sunrise.

Ludi

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

I have...

JUNE
    RAINFOREST SUNRISE
    LIBERTY

Looks like I have some more shopping to do.
    To be honest, I'm not sure about 'Totally Awe Sum'....Odd is the word, Paul. Very odd indeed.

Don B.

• hostanista
    11 years ago

I've only got 4 as well: Empress Wu, Liberty, with June and Rainforest Sunrise on order. Might just have to add Rainbow's End to my "must-have" list! .

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Personally, I think Totally Awe Sum should be renamed Totally Awful. Besides being ugly, I doubt it will grow. Notice that no one has shown a picture of a mature plant.

Other than that the list is a really good one. Bridal Falls should be an excellent plant. Basically it's Niagara Falls with a wide white margin.

Steve

• Gesila
    11 years ago

I already have

Empress Wu
    June
    Liberty
    Rainforest Sunrise
    Rainbow's End

Hot on the top of my list is Totally Awe Sum. I have collected almost all of the registered hostas with Sum & Substance in them, so this is a must have.

The only other one that might make my list is Bridal Falls.

Looking forward to my Rainbow's End this year. The first year it was eaten alive by slugs and last year it had the rust spots all over it.

My Rainforest Sunrise sprouted some awesome looking seedlings around it, so I'm kind of excited to see if they made it through the winter.

Love to have Humpback Whale but I really don't have room for any more solid blues.

Still waiting for the list 2013 hosta list from the nursery down the road owned by the Walters Gardens family. My bet is if I see Humpback Whale there, I'll probably end up picking it up.

Gesila

• User
    11 years ago

I have Liberty, June, Rainforest Sunrise, Bridal Falls, and Emerald Charger.

Emerald Charger is fragrant, BK. More new fragrant ones this year that are not "hot" (yet) are Honey Pie, Poseidon, and one other new fragrant one---I'm putting my money on the fragrant ones too.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Mocc, how is 'Emerald Charger'? Is it a good one? Grows OK for you? I think it's great-looking.

Thanks,
    Don B.

• User
    11 years ago

Don, Emerald Charger grew very well last year. The leaves sort of twisted a bit, were not flat at all. Let's see if I can find a photo for you here. It kept its yellow/gold center, did not bleach out.

Here it is in April 2012

And again in August 2012

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I was also interested in that hosta 'Humpback Whale'. Pictures show it very blue. Hosta Library lists it as blue-green and Very Large, picture is very blueish. But the 2012 registration lists the leaf color as 'dark green', not blue-green or blue, so what's up?
    Bernd

• jan_on zone 5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I understand that 'Giantland Sunny Mouse Ears' was talked about at Hosta College where its originators Jeff and Penny Miller of Land of the Giants Hosta Farm in Wisconsin were speakers. It is the first gold-leafed mouse ears. Not yet in the hosta library. Something to watch for.
    Jan

• Gesila
    11 years ago

Hey Bernd,

Here's the description from Walter's Gardens, they're the one that has it in tissue culture. You can see that there's a couple of pictures -- springtime color is blue and it's more greenish in the summer.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Humpback Whale

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Steve, your picture looks like July, HW looks green to me, the lower left I would call a blue hosta.

I found that picture with the blue lady in front of that very blue (not blue-green) hosta so startling, and then the registration as dark green, also no mentioning of starting blue in spring. Probably someone had a new marketeer, a blue dress, a blue filter and blue sky.
    Bernd

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

I have:
    Empress Wu
    June
    Liberty
    Rainforest Sunrise
    Rainbow's End
    No plans for others at this time. That could change as I see pics and hear about how well they grow.

• mrhosta
    11 years ago

Hello everyone, This is Jeff Miller From Land of the Giants Hosta Farm. I just wanted everyone to know that I have a great friend that pollinates with me, her name is Terri Meyers. Terri and myself registered Giantland Sunny Mouse Ears. My wife Penny supports me and my hosta passion but does notÃÂ hybridize. Just wanted to give Terri Meyers the credit she deserves for this introduction. It is a special plant for Terri and myself as this is our first introduction. Thanks everyone. Ps my friends love kidding me as they know I love giant hostas and our first introductions are both minis. Lol

• jan_on zone 5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Jeff - Thanks for the clarification! You and Terri must be pretty excited about the new introduction - I think lots of gardeners would like a yellow mouse! (Or maybe it will be a GIANT mouse?? A RAT perhaps? lol
    Jan