Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terri444_gw

Ohio Hosta Heaven

Terri444
12 years ago

This past Saturday, I am pretty sure I went to Hosta heaven. I traveled to Chillicothe, Ohio, one hour south of Columbus to the seven-acre hillside garden of Robert Corey. Mr. Corey is 84 years old and has been developing and tending this garden for 50 years. He has over 500 cultivars of hosta covering the hillsides. He never charges over $10 for any of his "children", some of which grow to the size of a small car! If you live in Ohio or close or are passing through, this is an experience you don't want to miss. I will never forget when I stepped from my car and saw the hillsides FULL of beauty that he helped create. I visit lots of garden centers, but his "yard", hands down, was nirvana for me.

Comments (18)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

and what.. you didnt take the camera????

there is a satellite hosta heaven in mansfield OH ... but i dont think anything is $10 there ...

sounds like great fun ... were all the hosta up in their full glory, this early????

ken

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Raise your hand if you knew that Chillicothe was heaven.

Steve

• Terri444
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did not take my camera...dumb move! But that means I need to go back sooner than planed so maybe not so dumb afterall. Many of the hostas are up and pretty good size. I brought home a few but going back for blue angel and many, many guacamole. I am not kidding, I have never seen anything like it.

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Terri,

Do you know if he has a list he can email or snail mail? Does he offer other perennials as well? My brother lives in Columbus and is coming to visit in May. I could ask him to stop and pick up plants for me.

Scott

• Gesila
    12 years ago

So glad to hear Mr. Cory is back at it again. We're going to visit him again this year. Did you get a Cory's Sweetheart and a Cory's Beauty?

• User
    12 years ago

Gesila, is that the load you brought home from Mr. Cory's Chillicothe Hosta Heaven? I see you've tied them all up to protect them, and they are really lovely plants.

Terri444, hope you go back soon, and be sure to take your camera with at least ONE extra battery!

• waistdeep
    12 years ago

Scott-google Cory's Wildflower Garden.
    Cory will ruin you when it comes to the size of his children.
    Steve

• Terri444
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mr. Corey has a listing on his web site of available plants. In addition to those listed he has pictures of many other available plants. Lots of peonies and ferns available as well. I made a long list today for my next trip. His website is http://coryshostagardens.com/
    His email is available there. As you can see from the van picture, the quality of the plants far exceeds anything I have ever seen.

• Gesila
    12 years ago

Yes, moccasin, those are the hostas I got from Cory's. Tied them with tape. Robert had some of them tied with string already.

I'll never forget the wonderful afternoon climbing up and down the hills talking with Robert about hostas!

The link below shows the pictures I posted last summer on my haul from Cory's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cory's Haul

• indymom76
    12 years ago

Wow! I had to mapquest it-I'm three hours away from him. Can anyone say road trip? :) this place looks awesome! Thanks for sharing!

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

Read his Web site. For $10 a plant fill up a truck or SUV he says. For a little more you probably can get multi-eye divisions of mature plants to create an instant garden.
    Bernd

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Here's the link for the web site. Pretty impressive. Check out the photo of Rob carrying the Hosta in a wheelbarrow on the photo gallery page. The web site says all Hosta are $10, no matter the size of the pot.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Cory's Hosta Gardens

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Wow that's incredable those sizes for only $10.00. Thanks Terri.

Scott

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

I'm so jealous. I stopped at Northhaven Gardens yesterday, which is the Pinkus family nursery. They had Allan P McConnell, Sugar and Cream, Honeybells, Royal Standard and Blue Angel. They were in what is called "one gallon containers". They were $12.00. I stopped at Calloway's and they had albomarginata, Diamond tiara, the yellow edged tiara, and a couple of other vaguely named hosta for $12.00. The plants were full and healthy looking, but $12.00 for a common "1 gal" hosta sucks. Apparently, they aren't carrying Monrovia hosta this year. Even Lowe's only has albomarginata, Francis Williams and Wide Brim, which I promise never to buy again.

You guys have all the great hosta nurseries and I'm jealous. What I get by mail order is usually kind of small. There's certainly not much available locally.

bkay

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

bkay,

Sounds like you need to take a road trip to Ohio. Just keep heading North. You'll get there.

Steve

• jeanne
    12 years ago

This sounds like wonderful day trip for mom and I, we're from Alma (now in Columbus) but I've never heard of Cory's. I wouldn't mind picking up a couple of hosta, but a carful? Is there a minimum? I don't want to bother them if it's expected to fill up my car, but I also don't want to miss an opportunity to experience this garden. If they just charge higher prices for those who only buy a couple that's okay.

Can you tell I'm a private garden noob? :)

Jeanne

• Gesila
    12 years ago

Jeanne, you don't have to get a car full! No minimum required.

Mr. Cory will probably want to take you on a tour of his gardens though!

Gesila

• jeanne
    12 years ago

Thanks, Gesila! Watch me end up taking a carload home anyway! I'm looking forward to it and charging the camera as I type.

Jeanne