Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedling pics

Posted by leafwatcher zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 16:18

Well, I basically did everything wrong ,

Starting with the potting soil (which I microwaved good)

To dumping lots of types of seeds into the same container, I let things dry out a couple times to much, the house is kept pretty cool (low 60's)

I really don't have room for tons of new plants, so I hoped realistically to get 2-3 decent streakers , and I think I might have. the best plant is probably one of the seeds I bought with ice age in the parenthood..

Anyhow as it was a new fun thing to try, and I am not being to serious about it.. I hope you don't mind my lack of precise record keeping...
I set my camera to macro, but I won't be winning any competitions on these pics.

Photobucket
added this just for fun.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedling pics

I think my biggest mistake was I recently removed the lids to the planting containers, thinking they would get better light, I really lost a lot of tiny new seedlings..

I saved a couple packs of seed for a spring outdoor attempt as well.

o

my computer did not appreciate the flashing pix ...

anyway .. they are very fragile .. and you better plan on keeping as many as you can .. because by next summer .. you will be lucky to have few left ...

many babes.. have the ability to sprout and grow as the bullet proof hosta they are .. but not the inherent strength to survive in the reality we know as free range in the yard ...

on many.. there is simply not enough green to produce the chlorophyll needed to survive.. or to store enough for next springs push ...

the coolest ones.. are the all white ones.. which are called terminals.. because once they use up the seed energy.. they simply die ... though some have been nursed in a perfect environment[perhaps not yours...lol] indoors for a long time ... but can never take the sunshine.. wind.. winter.. etc ... enjoy those as the ephemeral they are ...

regardless.. you have learned how forgiving they really are.. just dont add bonemeal .. god forbid.. lol ..

ken

o

A wise man once said that bonemeal on seedlings creates a chemical/fungicide organic cesspool of vermin and horror.

Words I shall never forget.

o

... organic cesspool... :
Deanna at the Hosta Seed Growers forum wrote not to worry about the white fuss, is only microbes breaking down the bone meal, simply scratch it into the soil. Except in a cell there is little soil to scratch, so I replaced that to have it all tidied up!

o

The gif is slowing pc's down? Its running smooth here?

Didn't think it would be a system hog...

o

Frank,

You should paint that on the wall of your new seedling room.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here