dave

Comments (19)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Dave, glad you r out of hibernation! Nice long rest, eh? Lol

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

brain sploded whilst napping, had to find a shovel to put it back together.

holy humpty dumpty (hoy 2020)

dave

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Curley Fries ?????? Seriously ???? With all the other really great hostas out there? Geesh...

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I was out looking for local hosta today. Curly Fries was available at Calloway's. I should have known it was a Bob Solberg plant by the name. Now, I'll have to go back and get it. I picked up a LS Shore Master with about 6 eyes and a Crusader with about 9 eyes. Past that, pickings seem really slim.

One nursery had Great Expectations, Wide Brim, Blue Umbrellas and Aphrodite. They were huge, but GE in Dallas Texas? They have to be crazy.

My neighborhood nursery that brought in Walter's starts cut way back this year. He only has a about 4 or 5 varieties. They aren't up yet, either. That's a concern. Most all of mine are up or at least showing some pip.

But there is always mail order. Calloway's is getting another shipment in a couple of weeks, too.

bk

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

I passed up on Curly Fries this year. It just did not sound or look that exciting. But I'm surprised both it and Victory have been named HOY. Both are fairly new and I would doubt most hosta gardeners have much experience with them, at least not enough experience to name them Hosta of the Year.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

As we've said many time HOTY is a marketing award given by the Hosta retailers association. Part of the criteria is that the plant has to be widely available for $15 or less. It's not the most rigorous test of garden performance by a Hosta.

The Benedict Garden Performance Medal given by the AHS is a highly rigorous, multi-step award program that is the highest award that a Hosta can receive. Thus far only 5 Hosta have received this award. These are as follows:

2009 - June
    2010 - Sagae
    2011 - Blue Mouse Ears
    2012 - Niagara Falls
    2013 - First Frost

A Hosta has to receive an Honorable Mention first and an Award of Merit before it can be selected as a medal winner. That means that these cultivars are "the best of the best."

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Benedict Performance Medal

• esox48
    10 years ago

They must have run out of good ideas for HOTYs in all three cases.

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    10 years ago

I have ADG and Victory is arriving next week but Curly fries don't do anythin for me I'm afraid, I'd take it as a bonus plant I supose lol.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

I think the criteria was has to grow well in all regions, look good, and be $15.00 or less. The HOTY has to be tough enough that almost anyone can be successful and common enough to be cheap, while still being eye candy. That's actually pretty hard; I've got most of them, and they certainly fit the "grow well" part.

I planted Victory last year and for a newbie it looked pretty good, eagerly awaiting it's appearance this year.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Vicotry hasn't done that well for me. It may be the pot, though, as it's done beautifully in the ground at the Dallas Arboretum. During that horrible summer with 60 days above 100 and no rain, Victory was a standout. It was one of the best looking in August, if not the best looking.

bk

Keep in mind August, 2 hail storms, no rain, high temps and under Crape Myrtles.

• esox48
    10 years ago

The HOTY is obviously something they want you to buy. They realize you already have most of the great hostas.

A few that have never been on the list:

montana Aureomarginata
    Sun Power
    Blue Angel
    Krossa Regal
    Journey's End
    Queen of the Seas
    Alex Summers
    Great Expectations
    Thunderbolt
    Elegans
    Key West
    Halcyon
    Satisfaction
    Abba Dabba Do
    Paradise Power
    Gold Standard
    Love Pat
    On Stage
    Blue Mammoth
    High Noon
    Komodo Dragon
    Northern Exposure
    Olive Bailey Langdon

• timhensley
    10 years ago

Great Expectations would never be considered since it is mostly a dud. I have seen a few beautiful specimens but overall it's a poor performer.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL...'Curly Fries'...Ha ha ha ha ha...

Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

don:

goes with ...
    moe fries
    larry fries
    and
    shemp fries

dave

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

And a Beef n' Cheddar...

Don B.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I like h. Curly Fries.

I also like its mom, Pineapple Upsidedown Cake.

I find it wondrous that one genus can include a plant like Empress Wu as well as Pandora's Box and even Hacksaw. And it has a catchy (descriptive) name too. Unlike tokodama flavocircinalis. ;-) Hooray for Hostas!

-Babka

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

HI, bk- Maybe Victory does hate living in a pot - or maybe I'll be disappointed in year 2. Only time will tell, and if we don't get some warmer weather, it will be a long time. We're 3-4 weeks behind; the snowdrops just bloomed.

Year 1 was pretty spectacular, more growth than I expected from a large hosta.

{{!gwi}}

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Maybe I just got a bad Victory. I got mine in either late 2011 or early 2012. I didn't make a file for it, but the first photo I have is 2012. It was a really small plant when I received it. It still has only two eyes this year. I'm very disappointed in it, espescially after how well it did at the Arboretum. Mocc has one, and it looks a lot better than mine. I'm waiting to see how hers looks this year.

I went back for the Curly Fries. I still don't care for it. I skipped it again and bought a Krossa Regal instead. That's certainly a classic.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

OK, I was recently at Arby's and I ran across 'Curly Fries' again. I admit, the ones Arby's had looked better (IMO) than the ones they had at a local nursery last year, so I picked up one. Yummy.

Don B.