Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta Shopping

Posted by intrepidgardner zone4MN (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 16:44

Hello, Hosta Folk, It's been awhile since I visited here.

I will be visiting the Peoria, Il area this spring and would
love to take my sis hosta shopping. She bought a new
(well not NEW) house and would like some help getting
a hosta garden started. I can supply lots of starts but would love to go shopping for some newer varities and so that she can see some larger plants and become
smitten like I am. Other than Hoerr Nursery wasen't there another place? Or would anyone care to make suggestions? Is Hoerr a good place to start?

Thanks for the input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta Shopping

Hi intrepid! I am trying to remember the name but my familyused to stop in Bloomington IL,which isn't far from Peoria, when travelling from Ark to no.lL to shop for hostas. You might search on line for nurseries near Bloomington IL.
Theresa

Why so long since you have visited the HF? Shame on you!
:o)
Theresa

o

you probably would get a faster answer.. had your title suggested the area ... and no.. you cant edit your title ....

peoria has had national conventions if i am not mistaken.. there has to be some sellers ...

ken

o

I've done a Bloomington search and couldn't find what I was looking for. They used to advertise in Fine Gardening magazine. They may have gone out of business. Sorry!
Theresa

I miss Frank in Peoria! :o(

o

The closest I know of is Hornbakers. I've never been there but its on my list to visit. It would be quite a drive for you - a day trip? The web site says 55 minutes.

Hornbaker Gardens
22937 1140 N Ave
Princeton, IL 61356

Happy hosta hunting
Beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: hornbakers

This post was edited by BeverlyMN on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 13:22

o

Be careful with generic nurseries. I don't know Hoerr, but in my area these type of nurseries sell virused plants and ones with nematodes. You are better off at a nursery that specializes in Hostas. Frank used to live in Peoria. He always liked to go to Hornbakers. Don't know how close they are, but I know you'll get great plants there.

I take it back. I just checked the Central Illinois HS website. They list Hoerr as a recommended site.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: CIHS hosta resources

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here