Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

My buried hosta pots

Last year for the first time, I stuck some hosta pots in the garden (pot and all) for the winter. The size of the pots range from 4 inches to 8 inches. Recently with our mild spells and a lot of rain, I noticed some pots were full of water. Then the water froze and formed an ice ring. I notice now that some of the smaller sized pots have been pushed out (an inch or two) out of the soil. So my question is: if I can lift the pot out of the soil, should I? (I would move it into our shed.) Should I be worried about these hostas rotting? I noticed that the larger pots are still "stuck" into the soil. Please give me your opinion as to what best to do (or not do) and help me relax again.

Comments (13)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

As Ken has said, the idea is to get them dormant and then keep them that way until Spring has truly sprung. Placing them in the shed would increase the likelihood that they will emerge too soon and need protection from frost and freeze.

If you can remove the pots from the ground do that and place them on the north side of your house on their sides. You can also cover them with some mulch if you have some. But try to keep them cold and relatively dry until it's time for them to emerge.

Steve

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

the ground around the pot is frozen.. retaining all water.. they have to come out

put them on the north side of the house.. in full shade...

and hope for the best ...

ken

ps: HEYYY!!!!! thats that he said.. lol ...

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

I did exactly what you described last year to one of my hosta. We had an early spring and puddles formed in the pot. As soon as I could, I took the pot out of the garden, and tipped it on its side. The hosta was fine. I don't think you can drown a dormant hosta, but get it out of the ground before it wakes if you can.

Beverly

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Steve, Ken and Beverly! Tomorrow I will rescue my hostas!

I got into all this mess because I bought too many hosta last year and didn't have garden space available to plant them. You see, I am in the third level of the "Seven Levels of Hosta Gardeners." I am that "budding hostaholic." One of those that "after years of having a hosta here and there, discovered that hostas come in all colors, patterns, and sizes. Often they will add 30 or 40 hostas their first year." So that's me. So I vowed to myself that I would get a handle on things this year, but at this point I have already ordered 9 more hostas and have plans to visit a hosta grower and buying more. I can't help myself! This is some kind of crazy!

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    11 years ago

"So I vowed to myself that I would get a handle on things this year" I love good humor. Paula

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

I must be on Level III as well! I have 40-45 on order so far...I'm all done though, I won't be getting any more this season.........Riiiiight?

Don B.

Original Author
    11 years ago

You are absolutely bang on Paula. My "vow to get a handle on things" is definitely laughable. Who am I kidding?! (I guess I can try, and then at the end of the year, exclaim "I really don't know how this happened . . . I really tried."

Happy to have company at Level III Don. Watch out though, looks like Level IV is coming full speed!
    "The fourth group is composed of the major hostaholics who have 200+ varieties, know the names of all their plants, and lust after every new hosta they see . . . " But we don't and won't be lusting after EVERY new hosta, right? So that makes us different! Yeah, right.

• User
    11 years ago

Hey.....I was sitting here falling off my chair, DH asks what 'tis, and I read this thread to him. Just so he'll know I'm not the ONLY ONE with "this small problem."

His comment: "You're all crazy......" with a smile on his face. Ahhh, this is the best laugh I've had all week.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my first order of the year will ship March 23d from Naylor. I think I have enough pots. My DH will be up in MA closing the sale of his house (yes, market is picking up and from first day offered to closing will be about 5-6 weeks). So, what I'm saying is, he won't know I got any more new ones. What total does that make: about 324.....but WHO'S COUNTING NOW..... we'll see how many if any I lost over the winter to rot or squirrels.

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Moccasin - SO sorry to hear that winter rot and squirrels so badly decimated your hosta collection. Unfortunately you'll just have to REPLACE them with a few orders here and there. Can't have empty pots. lol
    Jan

• leaflover76
    11 years ago

What is "Seven Levels of Hosta Gardeners"?

• Gesila
    11 years ago

leaflover76, use the link below and read through the posts and you'll understand what we're talking about when you get to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seven Levels of Hosta Gardeners

Original Author
    11 years ago

Moccasinlanding, I am glad you had a good laugh. I am sure if we were altogether, we all would be laughing our heads off. I know that you were not laughing at me, but WITH me.

By the way, if anyone has a cure for this addiction, please let me know! One of the hardest things in life is NOT to buy a hosta. It's just insanity!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida