Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miketropic

michigan bulb

miketropic
10 years ago

im sure you all know the place or have gotten the catalog at some point and I also know there part of the gardens alive corp but I also am a person who give credit when it is due so here the story. I read a few bad reviews about them and had never seen one of there plants in person but they had one plant I just could not find anywhere else. when I logged on to order they were having those super blow out specials lol so I ended up with a few hostas as well...this was dec. I got my order today and I am not going to go on and on like those people in the catalogs are quoted but I feel like I got my moneys worth.

1 eye sum and substance with alot of roots 3.00
1 eye filigree with decent roots free
1 cameo plug with 4 or 5 good leaves 8.00

the plant I was after was a mahonia "soft caress" it was a nice healthy plant in a 6 inch pot with lots of top growth. all and all I would say I am happy with them and might order in the future. next time could be completely differant but after reading bad reviews I felt obligated to write a decent one when it was justified...

Comments (20)

• mori1
    10 years ago

I think with Michigan bulb its hit or miss. I like Garden Alive but haven't order from them in awhile.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen a review for Michigan Bulb on this site - good or bad. You must have the wrong forum.

bk

• miketropic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't mean this forum I meant on the web in general. I only posted here since hosta was what I got from them this time. I think mori1 is right its hit or miss. they did good by me this time but next time could be differant

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if they are dormant.. only time will tell ..

but that FREE filigree bends my mind... is it streaked????

since i paid over 200$ for this streaked mother plant decades ago ...

and it surprises me that it can come out of TC ... streaked???? .. and if it is streaked.. i dont understand why they are giving it away ....

you will soon know ... but do keep us posted.. we are always after a bargain ...

ken

ps: isnt it always.. something along the lines.. that i just had to order this other plant... lol .. so i threw in twice the cost of that plant.. in hosta... lol ... next thing you know.. you wont be bothering with the other plants at all .... lol

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    10 years ago

The streaked plant in the HL listing is spelt with an a ( Filagree ) as opposed to the one listed on Michigan Bulb - Filigree. Shame

Here is a link that might be useful: H. Filagree

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

H. 'Filagree' and 'Filigree Sister' look on the HL like having HVX, so who knows.

$3 for a S&S plant with large roots is suspicious to me. How can someone produce a plant for that, make a profit and the retailer then also make a profit? Probably produced without HVX testing to cut cost. I once bought a 'Sum and Substance' (thought it would be good having another one) for little money at Walmart, turned out to be not S&S, then turned out that it had HVX, then every year for the last 2 or 3 years 2 plants get HVX. So be careful with it, I rather buy good quality at Land of the Giants! Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 9:26

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I just went to Michigan Bulb website, and looked at Filigree. The "botanical name" listed on their site is h.'White Feather'. NOT the same as Filigree or Ken's photo of Filigree Sister at the HL. White Feather comes up white, then turns all green for the rest of the year. From the info I can find, it is an undulata sport and it turns green (viridescent).

I wouldn't want to buy hostas from a company that renames hostas to market them. Sorta like that "Sun" hosta a few years back. Good thing you got if "free". Keep those hostas isolated until you are sure they don't have HVX.

Ever the skeptic...

-Babka

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Of course there must be some large nurseries that sell quality products at low prices. I got nuts last year and bought a bunch of plants from GW Wild and Sons. I am not concerned about HVX from them because they get their starts from the USA and I grow in pots. However, what I received from them was carp. They were liners (really, small immature plants). Some had a significant amount of rot in them. Had they advertized them as liners, I would not have bought them. In addition, I could have bought liners from legitimate hosta sources for a lot less money than they charged. I complained and they sent me replacements that were not rotted, but not any bigger.

Although I buy locally at nurseries and sometimes at Lowe's, I will not mail order hosta from those kinds of big nurseries. Were I less knowledgeable, I might be satisfied with small hosta with rotten spots in them. I'm too picky to buy from those kinds of places anymore. Besides, I think GW Wild and Sons is in the maling list business. Nursery is just a side line.

Given how long it takes to grow a nice hosta, I've become more willing to pay for maturity.

bk

This is what I got from the big multi product mail order nursery

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

Hi Babka,

Size aside, did you notice that this isn't actually Rainbow's End? If that's what it was supposed to be, that isn't what is in the picture.

Chris

And thanks for the information on Filigree (with an I). They may have renamed it due to the bad track record and poor performance of White Feather.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

In Hostas more often than not, you get what you pay for.

Steve

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

And those plants might keep on giving...

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Chris-

That was Bkay's pic of "not" Rainbows End purchased from a questionable dealer. Here's the one I got from you a few years ago. I love this plant!

-Babka

{{gwi:950057}}

• miketropic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will keep them all potted and everyone posted on what happens. first time I ever ordered from a strictly mail order company so we will see.

first time I have ever seen that "rainbows end" and I must have one..this thread really took a turn didn't it? where did the original come from of the plant pictured?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

That 'Rainbow's End' came from Hallson Gardens. I get all of my hostas thru mail order because my local pickin's are few. There are several very, very good mail order hosta companies that ship healthy, nice sized plants, accurately named. A reputable hosta dealer will give you a named hosta that will be true to type and grow up looking like the photos at the Hosta Library. (hostalibrary.org)

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Hallson Gardens

• miketropic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

that's there I found it so I might have to move it up to the top of the list..just beautiful

• miketropic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

that's there I found it so I might have to move it up to the top of the list..just beautiful

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Wow, Babka! What a great-looking specimen.

Don B.

• miketropic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yeah that put it over the top for me off to order one now lol

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

I like michigan bulb. their stuff thrives on the driveway, for me ... *wonders why he hasn't seen a catalog since al invented the internet*

dave *almost awake, tummy startin' to rumble*

• val (MA z6)
    9 years ago

Bought my first perennials from Michigan Bulb this spring and was pretty happy with items for the price. Got a wide variety that I wouldn't have otherwise bought (Yucca, variegated weigela ,Butterfly bushes as well as others) I also shop locally but have a large sunny backyard as a blank canvas wanted to plant along back border. The items were packed very well and while small, items arrived good shape and will watch these grow and hopefully do well.