Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta Placement

Posted by sandysoil_2008 6 MA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 18:05

I moved in September and I'm in the process of putting in a garden in the back yard. Right now there is only grass. In the shady area, I'm going to plant different varieties of hosta along with astilbe, foxglove and other shade lovers. I have multiples of each hosta type. Would it be more pleasing to the eye to group each variety of hosta or just randomly plant the hostas regardless of type.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta Placement

Would it be more pleasing to the eye to group each variety of hosta or just randomly plant the hostas regardless of type.

===>> why yes ....

not helpful??? ... lol

what is your preference.. ???

and who cares what the others think ...

ken

o

What cultivars do you have? If you have all Lancifolia, Royal Standard, Honeybells and Undulata Albomarginata it won't matter.

Most people here have many many different cultivars based on the space we have. Some have over 1500. Generally speaking people group Hosta together using different cultivars that are pleasing to the eye. Like this.

Blue Mammoth holding court

Or this
Photobucket

Sometimes people mass Hosta of the same cultivar together for effect. Like this.
Multiple Clump

Take a look at the Gallery side of the forum and peruse the pictures over there. The AHS Tour Gardens are a good place to start. The Hosta Alphabet will also give you a good sense of what those of us on the forum are doing.

In the end it's in the eye of the beholder.

Steve

o

This isn't specific to hosta, but groups of three or 5 plants are very pleasing to the eye. But put them in a group, not a row.

If you are planting a hosta display garden, then contrasting sizes, shapes and colors are pleasing. That's what you will see mostly here. It depends on what colors and how many different varieties you have.

Most of us are hosta nuts, so we have lots of varieties, but not many of each type. (So many hosta, so little space.)

bkay

o

I never planned on where to plant hostas,just put them in when I got them. So far,it works for me,but who else do I have to please? Phil

o

Thanks for the input and the photos. I think I'll place the hostas randomly. The contrast between individual hostas looks great.

o

sandysoil,

That first picture was taken at Cochato Nursery in Holbrook, MA. Probably not far from you, if your soil is really sandy. This is a place you should visit not only for beautiful Hosta, but for rare and unusual plants. The display garden is spectacular. Link below.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Cochato Nursery

o

Steve, I live in Holbrook and Cochato is right around the corner from me. I went by two days ago but they weren't open yet. I'll definitely be going there for plants. The sandysoil name was from my last home in south Plymouth in the pine barrens. It was a lot of work constantly adding soil amendments and watering. I'm so glad to be where I am now that has "real" soil. It should be a piece of cake to garden.
Sheila

o

I also have not planned the placement of particular hostas and like what has happened. This is the year I plan to share my results here.
Gary (southern NJ)

o

Gary, if you have any photos to share, that would be great.
Sheila

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here