Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So many losses this year :-(

Posted by caliloo z6/7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 18:06

Mostly because of our warm wet winter. I have lost so many to crown rot I could just vomit. Not Southern Blight, it just never got cold here and it rained all winter and my heavy clay soil did them in. And the potted ones never froze, so even though the pots were tipped and they were under cover they are goners too.....

I am facing a grim spring :-(

Alexa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So many losses this year :-(

I am so sorry Alexa. It flashes me back to 2009 when I lost so many in pots. What a horrible feeling. I hope you will find it is not as bad as you think. I did have some that I thought were gone that ended up being ok. At this point I'm terrified to have anything overwinter in pots unless it's a duplicate. Myrle

o

Alexa I am so sorry about your losses. Hopefully Myrle is right and they aren't all dead. I think I recall someone on here once writing they dug everything up and cut off the dead part of the crowns and there was enough usually to replant. Hopefully you'll get some responses on things to try.
Cher

o

Yes very sorry to hear. I know the feeling I lost 2 collections due to moving and couldn't at those times take them with me. As Myrtle said maybe it is not as bad as it looks. Plants have amazing survival abilities and hostas come from regions that average 60 plus inches of rain per year with many growing along stream sides with constantly wet roots.

Scott

o

Alexa,

So sorry. Can you list some of the ones you lost? It would be great if your hosta friends on this forum could help you replace some of those this spring.

Don

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 21:57

Alexa-

I really can feel your pain. I lost about 1/2 my 90+ varieties in pots before I knew to keep them drier over the Winter. Now I can control that part, but you cannot with yours in the ground depending on Mother Nature.

Many hostas are very nice and have lovely form as younger plants (i.e. Pineapple Upside-downcake), which gets to be just a big floppy mound later in life.

As suggested above, dig up and save your favorites if you can by trimming off the brown roots and replanting.

As Don suggested, please do list the ones that are goners, and perhaps some of us can help.

I remember you and your excitement when you first began to grow hostas. Be brave... Aren't you glad you didn't get HVX? See, it could be worse...

-Babka

o

Sorry to hear that,Alexa! I have clay soil here.too,but drainage is not a problem,due to sloped garden areas. So far,everything here seems to be normal,except for the warmer than usual winter. Hope it will not be as bad as you think. Phil

o

We have really heavy clay soil, nicknamed black gumbo. So, here most beds of all kinds are raised to some extent. The hosta at the Dallas Arboretum are in raised beds. I checked my photos from last year and none show the the beds, just hostsa. I wish I had pictures, as those I found online had some kind of containment, as bricks, railroad ties or something. The ones at the arboretum were just mounded. Raised beds will work, though - with or without some kind of containment.

On your pots, maybe they will be ok. We didn't get a lot of rain, but it was a very warm winter. I heard a guy on the radio say it was 70 degrees all winter. That's an exaggeration, but we had very little cold. However, most of my hosta that are already coming up look fine. I may have some problems with the ones I got last fall, as they look pretty wimpy, but the older ones look just fine - even the ones I got last spring..

My suggestion is to put your hosta on pot feet. (Babka uses two sticks under hers to raise them off the surface.) It helps drainage and almost eliminates slug damage. (I lost some young potted ones last year that were planted in Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting soil, so don't use it for your hosta.)

Maybe it won't be as bad as it looks right now.

bkay

o

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I have been avoiding doing any spring clean-up since I am afraid what I will find. Hopefully over the next couple of weeks I will be pleasantly surprised.

Darn Ma Nature, I was so much happier when were were bombasted with snow over and over again last winter!

Alexa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here