Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

Hosta undulata 'Medio-variegata'

brandys_garden
10 years ago

The managers where I live gave me 5 hosta bulbs that her husband gave her for Valentines Day. They don't really have any shade to put them and they know I have a spectacular hosta garden. But, they are all the same type of hosta... I will plant them all and I might keep 2... Which means I will have 3 to sell or give away. Would anyone be interested? They are undulata 'Medio-variegata' a beautiful hosta...They are "sister" to my Undulata Albomarginata (my first hosta) and she is huge now. So they will be spectacular in a few years!

Anyone have anything to add about this hosta? Share away please!

Comments (4)

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of the 5 bulbs. I planted them because they were just roots and an eye or so and I was afraid my cats would eat them if I left them in water overnight. I didn't water them as I was afraid it's too cool tonight to do so but I will tomorrow as it's supposed to be in the 60's. The roots looked good. They don't look like much right now but hoping they turn out good.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you should be way beyond calling them bulbs ....

the roots are below the crowns... and the leave atop ...

you planted 5 crowns ..

otherwise.. glad to see you so pumped up ...

now go buy some more crowns ... queenie??? ... lol

ken

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

She said they grew a lot in the last month that she had them. I thought they were crowns but I was going with what she said the package said... Bulbs... Yea, I don't know if I'll get another Queen? I might try Guacamole and Irish Luck. Only time will tell. I'm going to keep 2 of the U. Medio-Veriegata's and give the other 3 away. I'll let everyone know how they do of course! ;-)

I had to plant them and put them out because my cats were trying to eat them!! :-P Oh well. They seemed fine this morning, too.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about anything killing those babies...once they get established, undulata are indestructible! They grow like weeds around here...the neighbor even mows his down twice every season and they come back every time (though they usually come back all green thanks to the stress).

We had one in our backyard when we bought the house, and it was the only plant that could stand up to the brick-hard clay along the foundation. I divided it up and planted it along the creek behind our house to let it run wild.

It looks fresh and lovely when it comes up, though it's 'glory' tends to fade. Yours will do fine in pots, but in the ground they are slug bait. You will have a nice big pot full to pair with Albomarginata!