Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heuchera

Posted by keanaz5a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 31, 10 at 18:23

I have a question about Heuchera. I planted a few last year. They did great. But, after the snow all melted they still look good. A bit flat, but the leaves aren't brown or dry. Am I supposed to leave last years growth there or remove it? They still have all the color and everything.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heuchera

I always leave them alone until it is obvious what needs to be taken off. Mine are showing promise right now but are also flat. Just be patient!

o

I leave mine alone too!

o

When everything else is growing,I cut off the dead leaves from last year. The center is growing already. Phil

o

I do what all the above do. Every year I am more and more impressed by these hearty gorgeous- leaved plants. My first heuch and still my favorite is Carmel. It keeps its wonderful color all winter and right now is the standout in my spring garden in last years leaves yet! I'm still waiting for Heuchera to have its own Garden Forum. Mary

o

You can leave all the old foliage, or trim off just the bad leaves, or cut off all the leaves. The new leaves always look better than the old ones from last year. Over three or four growing seasons, the stem gets longer and longer. Because of this, some folks dig up the whole plant every few years and plant it deeper. This spring, I've chopped off my heucheras right at ground level. I'm curious to see how they handle this treatment. At least I won't need to transplant them deeper. :)

o

I always leave living leaves on plants, Heuchera and Hellebore, because they will help the plants to get started in spring. After the leftover leaves die off, I cut them off.

o

Don,
I'm confused. Why would chopping off all the leaves help keep you from having to transplant the plant deeper-unless you chop off that stem end of course--is that it? Also, with the newer varieties of Heuchera, I don't notice that stem effect which pushes them up like the Palace Purple variety which is notorious for that feature. PS I previously forgot to mention that my Citron Huchera is glowing like a lantern right now also from it's old leaves. Mary

o

Yeah Mary, I chopped the whole thing off right at the ground including the stem. As far as the older leaves feeding the plant, I'm sure the plant would prefer to have all the leaves on it. But in my garden, heucheras grow vigorously enough every spring even after removing the old flush of leaves. And it's easier to do it now during my spring cleanup than worrying about it later. This year, I'm going to see how they do after chopping the stem right off. I'll keep you posted. :)

I haven't noticed a difference with the stem on the newer ones vs. older ones, but you could be right. Bottom line is, if the stem isn't getting tall and lanky, don't worry about it.

o

I love Heuchera with my hostas. Especially Palace Puple. In spring I give them a haircut. I always try to avoid the stem. Don I hope you let us know how yours do this year cutting the stem down. It would make it easier to clean up in the spring if it works well. I have found they do much better in the shade. I moved all mine out of the sun because every year they got crispy.
Photobucket

o

I, too love heuchera with my hosta! This year I followed someones good advice on this forum and visited the winter sowing people - and some of the free seed I got were for HEUCHERA!

I am now doing what they call "the happy dance" because 10 of my milk jugs have seeds sprouted in them and two of them are heuchera! The seedlings are soooo tiny, about the size of the tip of a pencil. I have no idea how long it will take to get a plant of any size, but hey, I am in it for the long haul. It is funny, though, I have never had them re-seed on their own, and I have had heuchera for probably 8 years now.

Just thought I'd let you know that you can grow your own from seed :-)

BettyLu

o

Don, I'm really interested in your "pruning" technique. My husband directed the snow plow to push snow right over a bed of mine, and my favorite heuchera was cut off at ground level. I thought it was lost. Maybe it will come back after all. Then I can quit my whining. Thanks for giving me hope. Lois

o

swmogardens,
Is that Lirope you have growing in the background? You've got quite a nice patch of it!

o

Don,
I use variegated liriope all over my garden to tie everything together. I weed whack it to the ground in early March. I love the stuff. SWMO

Photobucket

o

I also do what the above posters do...

I leave them alone in fall & clean them up in spring.

It was actually this morning in Central IL where the fresh leaves are growing enough and it's pretty obvious which old stems to cut off. Yes, the old leaves still hold color & look nice, but the new leaves are beauties and there comes a time when the old needs to go.

PS: Anyone have Georgia Peach? I bought 3 last year and was in complete love. The color is spectacular & I'm in even more love this spring!!!!
Gayle

o

Does the liriope multiply? When I moved into my home there was some type of zebra grass that was planted that ended up popping up everywhere. I did not like it so I've been spraying with round up.

o

I once (15 years ago) on a business trip to Virginia liberated a few small green liriope into NY zone 5a, then could not get rid of them in a sunny spot. They are still around. A good effort might be required to separate those from Hosta roots.

o

I have Georgia Peach, new for me last year. When I got it, the poor thing needed TLC, so I kept it in a pot all summer and planted it in September when it finally looked like it would survive. This year it's gorgeous, beautiful color, even on the old leaves. I can't wait to see it mature. I have black mulch in the bed I planted it in, and it just glows. Love it!

Karen

o

I have Georgia peach and ZI love it. I thought it was going to be a so so plant but when I got it it was beautiful. It's just starting to grow back now I can't wait to see it again. I think my favorite by far though is Dolce licorice! I saw it at Walmart last year on sale so I scooped it up.(I put it in front of my Frozen Margarita! I can't wait till they both come up!)

o

Wow, I'm always amazed at how many heucheras are out there. There surely is a wide array of colors and leaf shapes. I enjoy looking at the new introductions each year by visiting the website of Terra Nova Nursery.

I'm in Zone 5, and it seems that some of the heucheras aren't very hardy for my area. I bought Stoplight a couple years ago because I think the leaves are awesome, but it didn't come up the following spring. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Other heucheras seem to grow like weeds in my garden!

Here's a link that may be helpful: 17 new heucheras & heucherellas at Terra Nova Nursery this year . Check out Golden Zebra!

o

Alycia.... I bought Georgia Peach last year too. I am always leery to buy the last one that a garden center has, but the foliage on this one was stunning!

My only complaint is that it doesn't show up against cypress mulch.... nor does Caramel, another fav of mine.

I just saw today that another garden center is carrying it this year, so I may pick up another one to see how well it'll do in full sun in my front yard. I'm planning to do a darker color mulch there, so perhaps it'd show up better, assuming it doesn't lose color due to the sun.

o

Don, I have a couple of Stoplights. I had three, but I burned out one in too much sun. I moved the other two, and they have come up faithfully each year. Last year's leaves are a really unusual brownish-coral color right now. Lois

o

Thank you, Lois, for mentioning that. I planted mine in full sun, so maybe that's the problem. I'll try it again in some afternoon shade. :)

o

I sell one or two different heucheras each year when I have my hosta sale. I sold Caramel two years ago and it is proving to be particularly vigorous. Stoplight - lost all of them. Georgia Peach was last year - looks like they wintered over pretty well.

Last year at Walters in Michigan I saw Midnight Rose and fell in love. It is a good dark purple with splashes of hot pink.

Pretty good pic at
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/f3/2/AAAAAr_bysIAAAAAAPMtJA.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/midnight-rose-heuchera&usg=__ULjqn0CzIWf8SIYk_FeB9ljFtrM=&h=300&w=249&sz=34&hl=en&start=12&sig2=FNVcc_fSdr_DrdlLDOFc0w&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=9KfHhNp7AzbrbM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=96&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dheuchera%2Bmidnight%2Brose%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4RNWN_enUS263US263%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=BP27S4fOGoPCngegir2dBg

o

idiothe
You know I got that one last year because I saw it on the website I get my hostas and I thought it was really pretty. But when I got it I wasn't overly impressed with it. I would have rather gotten another Georgia Peach-it's the best looking one in my spring garden,still has most of it's brilliant leaves(along with Fire Chief!). Pretty in the pic but plain up close I thought.

Melissa
I used cedar last year but it seemed to bleach out unless it was wet. I usually didn't get to do my gardening until midnight but when I watered it then the mulch seemed to retain the "wet" color longer than if I sprayed water during the day. Maybe the cypress mulch is similar?

o

Alycia.... I use cypress and that's where I find those colors do not show up. I almost like the dark chocolate brown mulch that my neighbors have started using. I think that hosta and green & warm tone heuchera would all show up better on it.... but then, the dark purple heuchera would probably not show up.

And at this point, I'm not willing to put down another 135 bags of mulch in order to change colors, AGAIN!

o

Here's a few beauties to feast your eyes on... Great companion plants for hostas, yeah???

o

Beautiful, Don! Is the second one Green Spice? It is one of my favorites! And the last one looks like a Tiarella...(or maybe a heucherella). Tapestry? Jeepers Creepers? Do you know what the purple one with the white edge is called? I want that one too!

o

(1) Heuchera 'Tiramisu' (2) Heuchera 'Green Spice' (3) Heuchera 'Midnight Bayou' (4) Heuchera 'Autumn Leaves' (5) Tiarella 'Jeepers Creepers'

Here's a heuchera collage posted on Terra Nova's website. How many can you name?

o

Ok, I'm not even going to try... BUT I LOVE THAT PHOTO!!!!

o

• Posted by ademink z5a-5b Indianapolis (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 10:39

I hate heuchera. They are beautiful but out of the DOZENS I have purchased...not ONE of them has escaped the evil paws of the neighborhood squirrels. They absolutely love to dig them up and eat the roots.

As for liriope: If you get variegated, it's fairly well behaved. Get the regular green and you will never get rid of it!

o

ademink...

WEIRD! I have some of the worst squirrels I thought to have existed and they've NEVER touched my heuchera!

They do, on the other hand, regularly eat my garden hoses!

o

They will make new leaves each year, so you can cut off any ragged foliage if you want

Here is a link that might be useful: Article

o

I've had a number of heucheras and they all have seemed to have gotten smaller and smaller each year. I was thinking that I had them in too much shade (dappled) but it doesn't sound like that here. Are there any tricks to growing them?

This year I bought Carmel and Lime Marmalade. They're both okay so far. The Lime Marmalade was planted in a bit brighter spot. It was growing great so I thought that was the trick! I also bought a bunch of hostas this year and would love to have them as companions.

o

Caramel, for me, is HUGE! Love it. I have 2 of them and the one that's in dappled shade with sandier soil is doing great.

The one that gets some direct sun in the morning and in denser soil is starting to shrink.

Someone here said that these newer heuchera hybrids tend to start to wain after about 4 years. Mine are in their 4th season, so we'll see if that holds true for me next year.

o

I began with heucheras about four years ago with great excitemnt and enthusiasm. I loved their varied colors, and initialy I was sure they would all be vigorous growers. NOT!!! At least not for me. I have lost most of them, both those grown in the ground and those grown in pots. I'm sure cold winter temps took out the ones in the garden. (even tho I'm in z7.) And I think too much sun really contributed to the demise of others. Old favorite 'Purple Palace' is still thriving, and 'Caramel' 'Lime Rickie', and a few other new hybrids are still doing ok. But the survivers are the exceptions. Makes me wonder if the new introductions are field tested long enough to be sure they are truly hardy long term before being released for sale.

o

Capehorn brings up a good point when s/he said "Makes me wonder if the new introductions are field tested long enough to be sure they are truly hardy long term before being released for sale."

I was trying to get my hands on a list of registered varieties of heuchera. I tried to find any sort of registrar, registration procedure, registration list, etc. Nada. I found nothing. So, it makes me wonder if this genus (or is it a species... I digress) has any sort of 'governing body' like we have with the AHS.

So therefore, anyone who hybridizes a new variety might be able to immediately put it into tissue culture without us really knowing the long term viability of the cultivar.

Someone correct me if I'm remiss. Is there a heuchera registrar?

o

There are at least 50 species in the genus Heuchera and some of these species are crossed to make the dozens of hybrids that grace are gardens today. Some species (and hybrids) are hardier than others. H. sanguinea is safe in Zone 5, for example, while H. americana is rated for Zone 3.

Heucheras species and hybrids are also crossed with Tiarellas to produce wonderful plants known as Heucherellas.

I'm not aware of any registration process for Heucheras and Tiarellas, although it may prove useful if such a procedure were in place. The only information I could find on a heuchera society is at theheucherasociety.org, which appears to be newly established society based in the United Knigdom.

There is a little information on heucheras posted on Wikipedia including a partial list of heuchera species, and on the website of the Primrose Path.

Perhaps one of the best books available on heucheras is Heucheras and Heucherellas: Coral Bells and Foamy Bells by Dan Heims and Grahame Ware. Does anyone have it who would like to give us a book review?

o

Don, thanks for the info! You're always so good with that kinda stuff.

That book was published in 2005, so I'm sure the info is quite out of date as it seems that heuchera/tiarella/heucherella offerings seem to be expanding at a rate perhaps as fast or faster than hosta!

The amazon reviews seem pretty good though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here