Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
amage from recent cold weather

Posted by Johnsp 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 18:31

Checked my hostas today since a number of days have gone by since a few really cold nights down into the 20s. Of the 2 dozen or so that have started growing Terpischore, Lakeside Hoola Hoop, Diana Remembered, and Ginsu Knife sustained some damage. I covered all with soil but these few were damaged. Though long range forecasts here in NE Pa don't show lows in the 20s anymore I decided to put mulch down early as it generates heat as microbes break it down. How did everyone else make out who had similar night lows.

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: amage from recent cold weather

I've covered as much as I can for the last 3 nights and will again tonight. We had temps of 22 last Tuesday night. Tonight we have snow forecast. I keep seeing more Hosta sticking their noses out and a few starting to elongate. Those few are the one's I'm covering. I won't know until they are leafed out if I have damage or not. Likely there will be some. I'm a full zone behind you, so there is more frost/freeze ahead.

Steve

o

Steve, here in NY we also had a night at 22, and 1-2 in of snow are forecast, but my hostas only show very little. It looks like Magnolia buds were damaged in my area though.
Bernd

o

I had heavy leaf damage to my aureomarginata and my hydrangeas and butterfly bushes. I am grateful there was not more widespread perennial damage but I'm still sad about my aureomarginata.
Amy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here