Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AHS Convention Cedar Rapids Iowa

Posted by paws4pets SE Ia. (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 19:18

Who's going? Only an hour away so it's a can't miss for us.
http://www.americanhostasociety.org/Conventions.html
paws

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AHS Convention Cedar Rapids Iowa

highly likely to probable

dave

o

Probably. Sounds like fun.

o

Going, but still deciding between bus or car.

o

Bev, do you have a bus? You sure could bring home a lot of hosta that way. Or take a lot of friends.

Consider how they will handle the garden tours at this convention. Would it be handy to have your own car for the tours? Or will they be bus tours? Just wondering if that might be a factor.

o

Only 40 minutes away! I'll be there :) The American Hosta Growers Association is visiting for their annual field day the day before the convention begins.

o

bev .. what do you mean ...

if the tours are by bus.. YOU MUST GO ON THE BUSES ... thats half the fun ...

besides they normally dont have parking for peeps cars .. at individual gardens ...

all you fence sitters ... for 5 years now.. they keep claiming.. this will be the last one .. any given year i mean ...

if you have a dream .. live it... these nationals wont be around forever ... the gardeners who maintain large tour quality gardens is dwindling fast ... as the hardcore age .. and lose interest ... if not physical ability ... and the fact of having 10 or 15 such gardens in one general metro area ....

if you can go ... go ... its worth it on every level ...

ken

o

If I'm remembering right, there's just one one bus and they're encouraging people with transportation to take a full carload. I plan to drive, might be willing to take passengers if one of them would be the navigator. I get lost all the time, would hate to be responsible for a lot of passengers. Would actually be happier on the bus, but realize people who fly in should have priority.

o

I will be there! Our hosta society is hosting.

I joined the society last spring--didn't have a clue what it was about, or that a major convention was going to be in Cedar Rapids the next year! I just wanted to learn more and meet more people that had similar interests.

The bus tour is the way to go! On the bus you get to meet new people from all over and make new friends! You can talk and enjoy the ride instead of worrying about getting lost--lol.

As for driving to the gardens, I am being told that there will be well detailed maps. I have been on a few garden tours around the area, signs are well placed for you to find where you are going.

Lots of planning going into it--it is going to be a fun time! I can't wait!

o

I'm flying in for the convention so I'm on the bus. Hope to see some old friends and make some new ones.

o

Looking forward to the AHS Convention and the 'Hosta Seed Growers Seedling Competition' which will going on in conjunction with the convention. Please stop in and check out the Hosta Seedlings which will be one of a kind.

Last year at the AHS convention was the first time cars drove to gardens.

Road along with Dan and no problems finding parking. Not all the attendees will be at a garden a one time.

If you have never attended an AHS convention, it is worth the money! Meeting new friends and seeing friends we have met over the years is one of the things we look forward to.

o

Funny Moc, a bus for the hosta. No, I meant this year you can choose. I like the bus - it makes it easy and you don't miss anything. The only thing I didn't like about driving is that some people missed some gardens. We barely made it to the last one in Lisle and had to speed tour. Our timing must have been off earlier in the day. These people work hard to prepare their gardens and they are all different and worth seeing- I don't want to miss one. When we have been on the bus, someone else keeps time for you, finds the place for you and deals with traffic. On the other hand, we have a good car for touring and we will be driving to the convention.

Ken, things keep changing, bus, no bus, choose the bus... I think you should go to a convention again and see if anything else has changed:)

Beverly

o

If you happen to be interested in the agenda for the Hosta Convention in Cedar Rapids this year, check out the attached link.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2014 AHS Convention

o

bump

with the link

http://harshbargerhostasociety.weebly.com

This post was edited by bragu on Thu, May 8, 14 at 19:54

o

A friendly warning: If you're going to be driving in Cedar Rapids, you should be aware they have radar and cameras out on the highways. If you speed, they fine you by mail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here