Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using ammonia to control root weevil

Posted by ps54 WA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 19:49

has anyone used ammonia to control root weevil? My hostas are starting to poke thru and it is still getting too cold at night to use nematodes. There was frost this morning.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using ammonia to control root weevil

Root weevil? That's a new one on me. I've never heard of anything bothering Hosta roots except voles. What are you using nematodes for? I assume you are talking about beneficial nematodes. Are you talking about white grubs?

Steve

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 0:39

Steve- I call them "notch bugs". The adult weevil eats notches in camelias, rhodys , aspidistra, lirope and everything else I like. These plants are evergreen around here, and probably for the OP, so the damage remains for years. The larvae eat the roots and crowns of plants, especially strawberries. Probably more of a problem in areas that don't have hard freezes that penetrate several feet down into the soil. We might have perfect weather, but that also brings some special bugs. ;-) You guys don't have to worry about soil termites either.

Beneficial nematodes need the soil temp to be over 50 (from what I've heard locally). In the ground they should last a couple years or so, or until they no longer have grubs to eat. I doubt ammonia would do anything to the grubs w/o totally soaking the soil and likely killing/harming the plants.

Where I don't use nematodes, I go for the chemicals. Bayer.

-Babka

o

Babka,

Do they "notch" your Hosta leaves? The information I see on line mentions, Olive Trees, Liliacs, Rhodies, and Strawberry Plants, but not Hosta. Most of the info is from extension services on the West Coast. We do get Black Vine Weevil occasionally here in the East, but they don't bother Hosta.

BTW, Predatory Ground Beetles like to eat Root Weevils as well as slugs. One of the best habitats for Ground Beetles is wood chip mulch. They like a chunky mulch with lots of air spaces.

You are, of course, correct about Beneficial Nems. The variety called Heterohabditis is said to work. Soil must be 52* or higher to be applied and moist.

Ammonia won't work on these guys, since they're beetles.

Steve

o

never heard of it ...

its also used on soft bodied things that ooze ... such as a slug ...

google images show this thing as an armored bug ... what could the ammonia hit .. to irritate it????

ken

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 14:19

Yes, they used to notch my hostas too. Bayer to the rescue.

Ken, it is the root eating larvae that the OP is wanting to get with ammonia. You are right that those heavily armored bugs are almost indestructible...they are so hard shelled, they crunch when you step on them.

-Babka

This post was edited by Babka on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 14:20

o

Ahh yes those beetle things!
Over here in the uk they are called vine weevils and I have had plenty of experience with them!
I have to use a product called Provodo which I water on all my summer baskets,camellias and troughs or they would do some serious harm,it's a great product and kills the grubs not the beetle.
I have only ever lost 1 hosta to them and that was a very small one,they don't bother the ones with established roots in my experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here