Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

I have been staying calm so far !

leafwatcher
11 years ago

But after getting a catalog in the mail, and seeing snow after snow melt into the garden.. I am getting fidgety !

I walked the line for some unknown reason, half snow, half frozen tundra. i refreshed my memory as I read the markers.. would this be the year my Great EX bites back?

Would my late year new plants survive?

then I thought of the young streaked seedlings I was introduced to last year.. how were they ? charged and ready to go? would they still be small..would they still even be streaked?

As I walked by a few of my bigger types I thought will they be huge this year ...making even non Hosta people notice them. (like anyone could be NON-HOSTA!)

I suppose my biggest question is which plant will surprise me the most, positively I hope :)

Comments (13)

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

There ARE some people in this world who actually don't like Hosta...I've met a couple of them....They're weirdos...Keep clear of those freaks....!

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

More on the subject, though.....Out of all my different types I have, I think 91 is what I've got....I am most anxious about my Krossa Regal I 'rescued' from the trashman....It had 16 eyes on it when I planted it dormant in November (see pic)...and of course my 2 'Great Expectations'....'Rhino Hide' I have huge hopes for....I could go on LOL...Best of luck this season, Leafwatcher, I'm sure they'll do great....Cheers...

Don B.

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After you mentioned the Krossa Regal, makes me think of the one I got last year.. My moms friend has an insame collection, and unfortunately she is really slowing down.

I stopped one day and she was strugglling to move three huge Krossa Regals, So i popped them out of the ground, got the first two planted where she wanted them, then she insisted I took the third home.. I split it in two, which it was wanting to do anyhow thw roots had that sort of hinged in the middle feeling, I didn't have to even use a knife..

I doubt they will be much bigger than last year, but they will make me smile if they are no smaller ;)

It won't be long and I will be putting the fish tank water on those hosta. the fish will like the fresh water, and the plants will like the dirty water. !!!

Oh by the way, thats a beaut of a crown !

This post was edited by leafwatcher on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 22:29

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

I'm starting to get frustrated. Winter is hanging on this year. Normally I've been out cleaning up the beds by mid-March. This year temps are running 10-20 degrees below normal, and when the ground isn't covered with snow, it's a muddy mess. More of the same is forecast for the next week.

Oh, well, it can't last forever. By August I'll be whining about the heat and wishing for 20 degrees below normal and mud. It's just so exciting, wondering if this will be the year some of the hostas leap. Oh, man - if that's my idea of big excitement, I must be one of the most boring people on earth.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

don..

is that a can of spaghettio's .. exactly what does that do for hosta ... i am always interested in state of the art hosta knowledge .. lol ...

leaf.. as to your title.. what happens when you snap???

ken

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

There ARE some people in this world who actually don't like Hosta...I've met a couple of them....They're weirdos...Keep clear of those freaks....!

Hahahahaha. Agreed.

Cynthia

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Steve

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hahaha,
    Ken,
    when I snap I about walk a path into the earth pacing, watching and waiting !

I am very impatient, ( I swear gardening is the only thing I know that makes you wish time was going faster !) and as the pips start to pop, I am already thinking hmmm next year maybe.... hahaha

But thankfully as the plants fill out I settle into an appreciation for what I have, not what is to come.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    11 years ago

still cold here, but some melt - all I can think about these days is counting eyes!

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Mmmmmm Spaghettio's.......ha ha....It's just a 12 oz. soda can, Ken, placed there for size reference.....

Great....now I'm hungry again...

Don B.

• gogirlterri
    11 years ago

Dang-I was hoping to begin to see posts from Chef Boyarde!
    It sure looks more promissing out of the milk crate Don.
    Theresa

Oh - by the way, in my pot-tipping post I mentioned nothing but normal weather. So much for that. Next 3 nights are supposed to be down to 16-17 degrees. Thanks for the advice ken.

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Don that thing is so square I am not sure if its a tangled Rubics cube, or a Borg Spaceship.. sorry if my scifi nerdiness is showing.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

We will have the usual winter, snow until April Fool's Day, tonight 4-6 inches of wet snow. Where is Global Warming when you need it? But again, I can see spring anytime I want by looking at my hosta seedlings. And, I had already flowers on witch hazels. Bernd

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County