hillbillyhosta

Hosta college

hillbillyhosta
10 years ago

Couldn't resist a few hosta from vending at Great Lakes hosta college

Comments (7)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Oh, lookee those! What's the big one, back row on the right? I can't make out the tag.

Thanks,
    Don B.

• hillbillyhosta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

back row right to left beckys choice and delicious both from jims hosta. front row right to left cracker crumbs , two seedlings from gene wogomam and plum pudding and cracker crumbs from green hill hosta.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thank you very much.

Don B.

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

Ah, Hosta College! What great fun!

It was my first time at any sort of hosta related gathering. Getting to meet those of the world of hosta. Don Rawson's class was one of the best! Also getting to meet personally the likes of Jeff Miller, Bob Solberg, Mark Zillis, Rob Mortko, Cindy Tomashek, Reldon Ramsey and Doug Beilstein. The best thing I took home was sharing a table with Van & Shirley Wade, my Grandfather and Jim Schwartz during the banquet. We were all laughing so hard, we had tears rolling. The presentation from Mark Zillis on the people of the world of hosta was fantastic.

I only bought one 4 pack of seedlings from Doug Beilstein at the auction, my Grandfather bought a Funky Monkey seedling. We came away with a plant each at registration, H. 'Ice Follies' and H. 'Rubies & Ruffles', and won one in the raffle, H. 'Great Arrival'. I also bought a signed copy of the Mark Zillis book, Field Guide to Hostas. I was able to maintain a great deal of self control.

Seedlings

After I washed these next ones off and repotted, they have really taken off. They are not much to look at now, but give them a week or two.

H. 'Great Arrival' with H. 'Rockets Red Glare' doing some photobombing

H. 'Ice Follies' and H. 'Rubies & Ruffles'

My Grandfather said on the way home Saturday that he has been to many conferences and meetings for other associations and this was by far the best group of people he has ever been around. Not a bad seed in the crowd.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Very, very cool, Devon. These are great memories you will always treasure. Looks like some great plants, too. Even though I live very far away from where it is held, I am still tempted to go to hosta college next year.

Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

super ... i used to say ... that it was the most fun you could with your pants on in public ... lol ....

hanging with the hosta glitterati ... to die for ... i think grandpa hit the mark with this comment: this was by far the best group of people he has ever been around. Not a bad seed in the crowd.

ken

• User
    10 years ago

Three cheers for your grandfather. He confirms what I have thought to be true. It is my personal belief that online ordering is convenient but so impersonal, that a few phonecalls along the way result in a better acquaintance with the people involved. I have yet to be disappointed.