Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountainy_man_z8_ireland

Big Daddy

Way back in October on a thread where I was telling all about an order I'd made, Don posted a pic of his Big Daddy thus enabling me further lol. Well it went on one of the many scraps of paper my lists are scribbled on and I kinda forgot about it.

Today I was on a tile hunting expedition north of the border in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland with my sister and we stopped at a small nursery and had a mooch about and came to the hostas and there he was three two litre pots of Big Daddy not much to be seen except a label, I examined each of them and found that one had at least five eyes from pressing lightly on the compost also has some nice thick roots comming through the drain holes, the other two only seemed to have two eyes each and were put back. So back to the mountain he has come. Thanks Don.

Also the name appeals to me too, when I was a kid back in the late seventies-early eighties on saturday mornings I used to watch British wrestling on the tv and one of the more colourful wrestlers was a huge guy called Shirley Crabtree Jr. and his ring name was Big Daddy he was fairly elderly and was quite a character, this one will remind me of the good times as a kid.

Comments (14)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Whoa, he WAS a Big Daddy!! Great acquisition, Denis, may it have a growth leap like mine did the season after I got it...

'Big Daddy' 2012 on far left, 4-6 eyes or so, if that...

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

...and, Ta-Daaa!! 'Big Daddy' in 2013, with about 16 eyes. I hope these pics are encouraging; 'Big Daddy' is often a slow-grower.

Don B.

P.S. I take no credit for how it looked last year, I just watered it a lot. I think I bought it a season before it's 'leap' year. THIS year, I'll feel a little better if it has more eyes. Thanks for giving me an excuse to post pics. : )

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Wow. That growth rate was fantastic Don. I can see your Big Daddy hosta is loving its new home. Good job!

Good luck with your new Big Daddy mountainy_man. Sounds like you've picked out a winner.

This post was edited by newhostalady on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 22:02

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cheers Don, yes your pics are encouraging, have done a search back on it in here and it does seem to be slow but you never know.

It seems that this is another one of Aden's thefts, still attributed to hin on the library, I thought that they were going to correct the details, takes time and some detective work I suppose.

Oh and you should take every credit for how you look after your hosta, it must be happy to look so good and multiply so quickly.

Thanks Newhostalady, I hope so, gonna be a fun year!

Denis

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Ah....Big Daddy! My dear dad passed away last May rather suddenly after living quite a healthy 82 years. I ran out and bought 2 small Big Daddys (couldn't resist buying 2 since they were so small) and planted them side by side in a quiet corner of my back yard. Next to the hostas is his pride and joy: his bowling ball. The hostas are still under 2 feet of snow. The bowling ball is in my family room until it can join the hostas again and I give a rub every time I pass by it.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss Hostanista, thats a lovely tribute to your Dad, very poignant, may we all have our health to reach such a great age. I hope they grow well for you. I like the weathered timbers behind.

My Dad passed away from cancer at the age of 43 when I was 12, I think I will plant this for him.

Denis

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

That's a really great tribute, Hostanista. The bowling ball is a wonderful personal touch, just wait 'til the 'Big Daddy' pair get bigger and their leaves reach to, and partially cover your dad's bowling ball. I think it'll look really neat. : )

My Dad also was lost to cancer, Denis, at age 47, three weeks shy of my 9th birthday. He passed on February 21st. Also my daughter's birthday. Funny how the same date can remind you of the wonderful, and the heartbreaking, at the same time. I suppose maybe that's how someone came up with the term 'bittersweet' eh? Maybe.

That's a wonderful idea, Hostanista. A very great memorial.

Regards,
    Don B.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

My Big Daddy in June 2011, is probably 10 years old, seems to be a slow grower. Bernd

• hostanista
    10 years ago

MM and Don - heartbreaking for both of you to lose him at such a young age. I realize how lucky I was to have him as long as I did. And the bittersweet thing - I see that silver lining too - my granddaughter's birthday is the same day. Grow Big Daddy, grow...

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Nice one, Bernd. They certainly seem to be worth getting and waiting for. If my 'Abiqua Drinking Gourd' gets cupping anywhere near this, I'll be ecstatic.

Grow Big Daddy, grow...Indeed!

Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if i were named shirley.. i would fight too ... lol

just the same if i were a boy named sue ..

nice to see that i am not the only one with a bowling ball in my yard ..

ken

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

I hope your Big Daddy grows better than mine ever did. I call mine Little Daddy,because after many years,it is pathetically small,but I have plenty of big siboldiana Elegans to make up for it,and they always have been huge. Phil

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Don, as you probably noticed, Big Daddy's cups will hold a lot of debris, same as others with cups, needs to be cleaned out several times a year. Bernd

Original Author
    10 years ago

Don, that date is quite a coincidence and truly bittersweet, cancer is such a horrible thing.

Bernd, nice looking Big Daddy, 10 years, sure seems slow.

Ken I agree lol! I didn't know his real name until he passed on and was very suprised, like what parents would do that to a child.

Phil, Little Daddy lol, whatever happens with him I'll be happy, mabey I could start an ironic hosta bed with him and Great expectations.