Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

What's on order?

User
12 years ago

Can you tell what you have or soon will order? And do you have a favorite source you order from?

Tonight I placed an order with Land Of The Giants:

Masquerade ) smalls

Venusta

Honeybells

So Sweet ) fragrants

Irish Luck

Hypoleuca ...might be a mistake, but I like the white backs.

Then from Hallson's:

Adorable

Aphrodite ) more fragrants

Fried Bananas

Comments (51)

• kskaren
    12 years ago

Here's what I've ordered so far:

From Hallson's--
    American Sweetheart
    Blueberry Muffin
    Designer Genes
    Flemish Sky
    Goodness Gracious

From Naylor Creek:
    Love Pat
    Marilyn Monroe
    Niagra Falls
    Rainforest Sunrise
    Summer Breeze

From Avalon Acres:
    Choo Choo Train
    Climax
    Dick Ward
    Liberty

Our local garden club is hosting a sale in April, and I plan to buy several there, as I did last year and got some beauties for very reasonable prices.

I will be toning it down on my purchases this year, since I've declared 2012 "The Year of Living Frugally". I should have exempted hosta purchases from that declaration....dangit!âº
    Karen

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

I'm SO running out of room here. I've ordered from Hallson Gardens. 'Ice follies' and 'Snake Eyes'.

-Babka

• uk-hostaman
    12 years ago

Have already recieved mine for this year!

FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT
    BAM BAM BLUE
    EMPRESS WU
    BLUE MAMMOTH... i think i have a theme going here?

NIAGARA FALLS....and so tempted to get LADY ISOBEL BARNETT

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

UK,
    Did you buy an estate recently?

Karen,
    If you are buying from the "local garden club" I would put those plants in pots until you know for sure that they aren't diseased or have nematodes. JMO.

From Made in the Shade
    Skylight
    Clovelly
    Millenium

From In the Country
    Raspberry Sundae
    LS Fancy Pants
    Blarney Stone
    Niagra Falls
    Nippers

From Hallson
    Diamond Tiara
    Sum of All
    Wheee!
    Rosedale Golden Goose
    Summer Breeze
    Grand Canyon
    Spartacus (thanks, UK)

From Jims
    Taurus
    Jade Cascade
    Ebb Tide
    Regal Supreme
    montana Macrophylla
    Tenryu

From Mason Hollow
    LS Love Affair
    Frisian Pride
    Majesty

From NH Hostas
    Cameo
    First FRost
    Platinum Tiara
    Rich Uncle
    Samual Blue
    Fire Island
    Krugerrand
    Tobacco Road

From Streaked Hostas
    Sand Pebbles
    Blizzard

From Hosta Amour
    Arc de Triomphe

Plus a lot of perennials and shrubs due to the fact that I'm planting a 700 sq. ft. Mixed Border in full sun.

Steve

• uk-hostaman
    12 years ago

God im so jealous of you 'americans' with your large gardens!#######lol...i have to cram so much into every little 'nook and cranny'(english term i think)

• uk-hostaman
    12 years ago

I bought my 'arc de triomphe',after seeing bunnycats great pictures of it

she has some great hostas

• beverlymnz4
    12 years ago

I too have a small garden. I may also have windows and siding done this summer so won't be planting around the house this spring.

From Venero Gardens: Saint Paul and Dancing Queen

Leaving room for impulse buys at the conventions this summer.

• uk-hostaman
    12 years ago

a few more!

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

UK,

We saw plenty of land at Castle Highclere when we were watching Downton Abbey. Perhaps they would lend you some. Oh, and I hear there's a bit of space at a place called Sandringham.

Here's my favorite pic of Arc de Triomphe. It's in Cheryl Cravino's garden which is why I will buy the plant from her nursery (Hosta Amour).

This plant has so much going for it; size, upright form, waves, leaf tip curl, great variegation with some streaking toward the middle, and that beautiful overlapping leaf base. I've been saving a spot for this one ever since I saw it last June. And I'm buying a double division.

Steve

• franknjim
    12 years ago

UK, Don't you still have a little grass left that you can get rid of to put in more hosta? I took out all of my grass since my yard is tiny. Hostas are much nicer than grass and no mowing or weed whacking anymore.

Frank

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Seeing who you folks buy from is a learning experience for me. Having no local sellers--well, Lowes sold WINTER SNOW and BLUE ANGEL here last year, but they do not count as "hosta nurserymen"--and I've made notes about who ships plants with good root structure and such as that.

Some slip-ups are bound to occur though, like the order that shipped after it got steaming hot, such as that. Even by phone, I am feeling the kindliness of Nancy Solberg, never expect to meet her but she is always friendly. I know it would be better to visit some hosta gardens, but none are nearby, nor are they advertised in the Birmingham area, which is reachable for me. Maybe Hot-Lanta will offer a place to see them growing extravagantly, but I will just have to do the best I can, imagining what the real thing looks like. And the pictures here, of course. Sometimes, it is more helpful to have a real landscape shot instead of a closeup, so I see the impact of planting en masse.

My idea of a hosta garden could end up like my idea of decorating a New England cape cottage--the realtor told my DH that it was lovely, quite unique, and comfortable, with tones of southern beach cottage--but it was not a traditional cape. Oh well, I think it combines the best of both worlds. Sort of like I hope my hosta garden does too.

• uk-hostaman
    12 years ago

The mrs is already on my back for not leaving any room for her to sunbath in the summer....good job we dont get much sun over here!!!!!!!!!..one day im sure she'll say its her or my hostas..NOW WHO WOULD I CHOOSE..LOL

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Moccasin, You might want to check out the website of Hornbaker Gardens. They do sell mail order and have a stellar reputation that has lasted for decades. They also sell many hosta through mail order as mature clumps in addition to their normal stock. I have never bought from them through the mail since I can make the hour drive to hand pick plants myself.

Frank

Here is a link that might be useful: Hornbaker Gardens

• User
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures! I buy about 99% of my hosta mail order and have had great experiences with most of the suppliers above. For 2012 I am waiting for the following (orders & auction items):

Dancing Mouse
    Stags Leap
    LS Paisley Print
    Popcorn
    Rainforest Sunrise
    Golden Meadows
    Little Town Flirt
    Blue Cascade

I have a few more in mind, however I might wait to see the extent of the vole damage to replace my favorites.

• mctavish6
    12 years ago

I might get in trouble here but it wouldn't be the first time.

It's interesting to see everyone's selections. It's too embarrassing to list here plants I have already ordered plus those I plan on buying from a local nursery. The Greenery in Kelowna sells their hostas for about $7.00. They have some surprisingly new offerings. Last year I got Lakeside Foaming Sea and Lakeside Full Tide for example. I'm suppose to be buying less and getting more organized with what I have. I need many, many spin out bags for the expansion into the woods...and on and on.

What I was going to say was why isn't anyone ordering from Sebright? They are excellent. Last year I probably received the largest divisions, most mature shape and size of anywhere. I should say I am not able to order from many of the places a lot of you do because of the problem of shipping across the border. Some US nurseries do ship here but the certificate is often so expensive it doesn't seem worth it. The plants are also at the mercy of Canadian customs who can do whatever they like. A six hour car ride (from Seattle) can turn into two weeks in a warehouse. I avoid this by going down to the states and visiting my sister, helping her in her garden and driving my orders from Naylor and Sebright home. Getting back to Sebright, if any of you newer collectors are looking especially for the older varieties, check out their wonderful prices and selection.

Naylor, what can I say, they have the newest and Jack and Gary are just great. This is where I might get into trouble. I was talking to Glenn, owner of Hosta Choice in Ontario. This is a wonderful Canadian nursery by the way. Glenn is also a big fan of Naylor Creek and buys from them himself in order to offer the newest introductions to the Canadian market. I was telling Glenn that I really wanted Frisian's Pride but was going to wait a year or so to hopefully get a stronger plant. The prices were all over the map on this one it seemed to me. He said that Naylor Creek was the source bringing in Frisian's Pride from Holland for the US market. I guess that means if you bought this from somewhere else, your hosta has been handled twice? Naylor's price was certainly the best at least from those places I checked out.

The US certainly has many more options to choose from than we do in Canada though there are several great Canadian Hostas nurseries too. Unfortunately for me they are on the other side of the country which might as well be the moon. There are none that I know of in BC. Someday I'd love to visit a place where all the wonderful, mature, hostas are growing.

Wherever you order from and whatever plants you choose, I hope you all have a great spring - except Moccasinlanding who is having spring ALREADY !!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    12 years ago

"I need many, many spin out bags for the expansion into the woods..."

mctavish,....or anyone, what is a spin-out bag?

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Myrle,
    What you said about Naylor is certainly true and not a secret at all. Naylor does their own TC. They will often contract with new hybridizers like Bate Akuma (Frisian Pride, etc) in order to bring their creations to market. Other nurseries will get the TC plants from Naylor and then sell them. In my case I ordered Frisian Pride from Mason Hollow because I had a Gift Certificate from them that I wanted to use.

Have you ever tried Glenbrook as a Canadian Nursery? They advertise on the Library as a nursery for the serious collector. I know they are in Ontario, but it is just as far for me to order from Naylor as it would be for you to order from Glenbrook. I will be ordering from Naylor later on this season. I've got more beds to create first.

Jonnyb,
    Here's what a spinout bag looks like.

It's for planting underneath Maple trees and in other high root competition areas (like Frank's front yard). Below is a link to a thread.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting using spin out bags

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

From Rob (Lakeside Hosta): 2 Paisley Print
    3 Sparkle Plenty
    3 Prophecy Fulfilled
    1 Surf Rider

From Jim's: Academy Bonfire Glade
    Academy Celeborn
    Academy Mirkwood (mislabeled on his site
    as 'Milkwood')
    Academy Verdant Verge

Planning Naylor Creek and Hallson's orders, too. Will be deciding this evening if I have time. Otherwise, by next weekend at the latest! McT, off to check out Sebright online. Franknjim, will also be clicking that link. Oh dear oh dear. Somebody stop me! OTOH, please don't. Too much fun.

Great picks, UK!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    12 years ago

Steve, thanks for the info on spin-out bags. I had never heard of them. I have a large Norway Maple in front of my house and it destroys the grass, but I have a very large Hosta Splendis Sieboldiana that grows right up against it and thrives. I keep taking divisions and populating the neighborhood and it doesn't phase it. I guess the Norway doesn't have the fibrous roots of the infamous Silver Maple. http://www.flickr.com/photos/66008695@N06/6953617523/in/photostream

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Splendis under maple

• donrawson
    12 years ago

Glenbrook is in New York. Goldenbrook is in Ontario. :)

• paul_in_mn
    12 years ago

I've taken a back seat from ordering this spring - after buying so many over last 3-4 years. Waiting to see how gardens are filling out and where I have room. Probably order some thru MN hosta society this spring, a local Mother's Day weekend sale and hopefully find a few from the Midwest convention vendors. Also, waiting for some of newer ones to fall a bit in price.

Some on the short list-
    Bam Bam Blue
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Jade Cascade
    Smoke Signals
    Fickle Blue Jeans
    Kaleidochrome

Paul

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

I didn't order much this year, only three from In the Country:

Old Glory
    Sea Ebony
    Brutus

And Naylor Creek:

Deans Dream
    Great Escape
    Aristocrat
    Seducer
    Satisfaction
    Niagara Falls
    Candy Dish
    Alligator Shoes
    Borocay

And I will be getting from my local nursery;

Island Charm
    Magic Island
    Majestic
    Rainbow's End
    Showboat
    St Elmo's Fire
    Abba Dabba Do
    American Halo
    Blue Mountains
    City Lights
    Enterprise
    Liberty (the 2nd one for me)

Majestic and Blue Mountains have already come in and are planted. Still waiting on the rest.

Then there is the Greater Ozarks Hosta Society auction coming up next weekend, plants from Hilltop Farms Nursery.....maybe something from that. And I am sure I will find more when we make the rounds of the other local nurseries. This may be the year I get Brother Stephan, or Designer Genes that I have been stalling on for the last few years.....and I have a couple coupons burning holes in my wallet, to be spent, lol!

Sandy

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    12 years ago

White Oak Nursery

Alex Summers
    Alvatine Taylor
    Blackjack
    Gold Stamdard
    Great Expectations

New Hampshire Hostas

American Halo
    Blue Hawaii
    Brother Stephan or is it B. Stefan?
    Cutting Edge
    Dick Ward
    Tokudama Aureonebulosa
    Unforgettable

• gardenfanatic2003
    12 years ago

Insanity struck this winter, and I lost my mind. I have no more space, so I have no clue what I intend to do with all these plants. A few of them will go in pots, but where the rest of them will go is beyond me. I suspect I might have to redo one of my beds, putting plants a little closer together.

Hallsons-
    Rainbow's End
    Sunlight Child
    Sweet Innocence
    LS Paisley Print
    Blue Angel
    Irish Luck

White Oak-
    Holy Mouse Ears
    Cutting Edge
    William Lachman
    Hyuga Urajiro
    Autumn Frost

Naylor-
    Liberty
    Marrakech
    Baby Doll

Land of the Giants-
    Jade Cascade
    Blueberry Muffin

Deanna

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Being that I am very very limited on space, I am careful(or at least try to be) in knowing the mature size of every hosta I buy before I buy it. I know that I can't buy a bunch of giants and large hosta. I can however squeeze in a bunch of minis and smalls along with a few mediums. I can use the space left between my properly spaced immature large and giant hostas to be temporary homes for some mediums, smalls & minis.

• mctavish6
    12 years ago

jonnyb023, below is a picture of a Halcyon I dug up last spring. It had been planted for 3 years. That was the beginning of my expansion into the woods. What was I thinking? My tree roots wouldn't act like everyone else's? My problem is Cedar trees not Maple but the result is the same. Not only was the Cedar roots twice as large looking down, they were twice as large in height and volume. This was in just 3 years.

Steve, What a coincidence. I was just looking at Goldenbrook site. I haven't ordered from them before but I am considering it.

Deanna, If you've lost your mind then so have I. I've already ordered twice as many plants as you have and still have 16 I intend to buy once the local nursery opens. I have tree roots, I may have voles (I was kindly thinking of them as ground squirrels but that may be wrong), I'm getting older and the spirit is willing but sometimes the back isn't. The one thing I did more or less stick to this year was very few large or even medium plants. More than half of what I ordered are small or even mini's.

Poor old Halcyon

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Reading a bit about the hypoleuca selection, I discovered that it is in the lineage of Arc de Triomphe and a couple of others, don't recall them now. Like the white backs myself.

And, trying to figure out the ID of the plant growing so nicely this year, I thumbed through the cats of all the nurseries I purchased from. It seems that my NOID might indeed be SATISFACTION. I did not ORDER that, but it was possible to get it from either PDN or Bridgewood. The one I should have gotten, FAITH, never grew, no solid gold except for Sum & Substance. Oh, I like Satisfaction. Here is the leaf broken during the cold night covered with a sheet:

Could not like it more if I had ordered it intentionally. What's not to like about a plant this vigorous. Oh yeah. This leaf has 13 vein pairs.

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Moccasin,

If you are looking for an ID, it is best to start a new thread. That way more people will see it an not have to wade through other posts. As for this one it sure looks like Satisfaction to me. Look at the Library pics, the seventh one down by Hugo Phillips appears to be an exact match for your picture.

BTW, if you've got a number of Hosta that are just emerging, start a thread for that and let us see what's coming up.

Steve

• kskaren
    12 years ago

Thanks, Steve for the warning. I didn't isolate the dozen or so plants I bought from them last year, but maybe I should have. The guy that grows them is pretty well known around these parts for having excellent stock (his place is called Spring Valley Nursery, and they don't sell out of the nursery, but at farmer's markets and this annual sale). But, I just emailed him and asked what precautions he has in place against HVX/nematodes. Rob Mortko is a member of the MG group that sponsors the sale, so I feel pretty comfortable that the plants I bought are ok, but it never hurts to be certain. I will let you know when I have a reply from him. I appreciate you watching out for a newbie like me!! âº
    Karen

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

So far from Land of the Giants :
    Goodness Gracious,
    Dick Ward,
    Lakeside Shore Master,
    Ryan's Big One.

I have open pollinated seedlings of 13 new to me cultivars growing which I also have to find spots in my backyard for (including Arc de Triomphe). I think I have to donate existing plants to my hosta society this year again.
    Bernd

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mosswitch, when you said, "I didn't order much this year, only three....." hehehehe, I began scrolling down down down, and saw that THREE was the tip of an iceberg. Love it.

And SquireJohn, it is spelled Brother Stefan according to the Hostapedia. One of my favorites early in the hosta game here.

Berndny, your local hosta society will have some happy people, because you baby your hosta so completely. Wish I could be going to that sale.

Steve_Mass, I'll do that new thread. I have that same leaf laying on my desk here, and it is still fresh and colorful looking. Very tough plant. As variable as some hosta are as the seasons progress, I can understand how mixups occur with plant labels. Then, tomorrow morning in the bright early light, I'll get some shots of the newly emerging ones, and start a thread with that. This forum is beginning to hop!

And today I ordered again, from BridgewoodGardens.com
    Second Wind
    Short Fat Fanny
    Fortunei hyacinthina
    Angel from Montgomery
    Golden Tiara
    Longissima (swamp hosta)
    Moonstruck
    Purple Passion
    Braveheart (fragrant)
    Sweet Bo Peep (half-pint)
    Invincible (fragrant)
    Squash Casserole (because it takes sun)

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Hi All,

Just joined and having a ton of fun reading the posts. Yes I'm a long time hosta addict purchased. I've purchased many hostas ferom a number of companies mentioned above but have to say my favorite one is Naylorcreek by far. I'm here in eastern Pa-in the Poconos and when I order from Gary and Jack it always seems to be on a Friday and have them on Monday. Plants are well packaged arrive in excellent condition and are good sizes. I placed my order with them in December when they offer discounts and free shipping. These are the hostas I'm waiting for from them below. Also I discovered a nursery very close to where I live called Webster's Nursery. They specialize in hostas more than two hundred and not just the common ones along with unusual perennials evergreens and trees. Their display beds have over 400 different hostas. If anyone lives in my area and wants more info on them let me know. I believe they open in April. Their prices are about half of the online companies.

John

• hosta-see
    12 years ago

Welcome John,

I'm running out of room (shade) but I still can't stop ordering because I'm an addict too!
    This spring I have orders placed with Sebright, Hallson, Naylor Creek, Avalon, Jim's Hostas and Country Boy.

Here's my list so far, I hope it enables someone! =o)
    Midas Touch
    Zounds
    Tijuana Brass
    Blue Wu
    Blueberry Muffins
    Funcky Monkey
    Shimmy Shake
    Grand Rapids
    Jurassic Park
    Tickle Me Pink
    Lederhosen
    Ebony Towers
    UFO
    Flemmish Gold
    Celebration of Angles
    Black Hills
    Faith
    Lettuce Salad
    Devil's Advocates
    Emerald Ruff Cut
    Emerald Necklace
    Sum Cup of Joe
    Royal Tiara
    Sea Octopus
    Blue Dolphin
    Centerfold
    Geisha

I hope this makes you pull out the plastic! LOL

God Bless and have a good day!
    Gary

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Johnsp, welcome to the funhouse! Don't be bashful, what were those plants you ordered?

And, just now, I took the advice of McTavish and browsed the catalog of Naylor Creek, where I had to call this morning to give Gary my order on the phone. (No fax.) I am such a sucker for unique plants, trying to stay on the smaller side, since S&S, Blue Angel, and a few others turn out to be supersized.

Here is my selection to be shipped NEXT WEEK:
    Celtic Uplands
    Diana Remembered
    Fragrant Queen
    Invincible Spirit
    Jaws (I cannot wait to see its TEETH)
    Scallion Pancakes (can't you just smell it now?)
    Sharp Dressed Man

Now to call for the delivery of 2 small truck loads of
    top soil, mulch, bark.

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Thanks for the welcome Gary and Moccasinlanding. The plants ordered? Did you mean the Arisaemas? If so they are a group of plants in the Aroid family. We have 2 species native to the US commonly known as Jack in the Pulpits or Cobra Lilies.

Scott

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Forgot to mention those I've ordered from Naylorcreek are all from temperate Asia. I keep them in clay pots because they are so finicky about moisture when dormant.

Scott

• TheHostaCottage
    12 years ago

My orders for this year include:

Goldenbrook Hostas
    Snake Eyes
    Naked Lady
    Moulin Rouge
    Obscene Gesture
    Extreme
    Pin Up
    Snow Boy
    Victor

Hosta Choice
    Frisian Pride
    Proud Sentry
    Golden Meadows
    Lady Isobel Barnett

Shades of Green
    Gentle Giant
    Regalia

Crooked Creek Garden Centre
    The Queen
    Spinach Souffle
    Emerald Charger
    Deep Space Nine

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

Waukon Golden Pond and Shimmy Shake from Naylor Creek and Streets of Gold from NGP.

• indymom76
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone-I've been lurking for a few days and have enjoyed catching up on posts. I just recently graduated nursing school and have been getting used to a new job, schedule, etc. Now that there is a little more $$ coming in, this year I'll get to buy more than I have in recent years (yay!). I have a list of some host that I'm interested in-if anyone has any opinions about any of them, I'd love to hear them. I am going to try to get outside in the next few days and take pictures-I'm in Indiana and my crocus have bloomed, daffodils are coming up and there are some hosta that are peeping through the soil already with our crazy winter weather!!

Here's the beginning of my list:

Journey�s End
    Liberty
    Victor
    Purple Haze
    Frosted Frolic
    Fragrant Queen
    Liberty
    American Icon
    Ivory Coast
    Rainbow�s End
    First Love
    High Society
    Radiant Star
    Fragrant Bouquet
    Summer�s Breeze
    Olive Branch
    Irish Luck
    Autumn�s Frost
    L. Beach Captain
    L. Butterball
    L. Cha Cha
    L. Cindy Cee
    L. Coal Miner
    L. Cup Cake
    L. Dragonfly
    L. Foiled Plot
    L. Premier
    L. Ring Master
    L. Roy El
    L. Shoremaster
    L. Storm Watch
    Abiqua Moonbeam
    H. All That Jazz
    H. Amber

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Indymom76, I see when you jump in you do it with a will!
    Nice list, and you are just BEGINNING YOUR LIST?....
    Woohoo!

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Hmmm, I see I didn't list the plants I've ordered and will be ordering next month. Strange because I recall listing these:

Naylorcreek

Frisian Pride
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Lakeside Fancy Pants
    Proud Sentry
    Cold Heart
    Regal Supreme
    Smokey Bear
    Seducer
    Rocket's Red Glare
    Double D Cup

Rob's Lakeside Hostas:

Lakeside-

April Snow
    Cindy Cee
    Beach Bum
    Beach Captain
    Dividing Line
    Pillow Talk
    Foiled Plot
    Paisley Print
    Party Dress
    Scamp

Scott

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If we did not want to hear something as kids, I always put my hands over my ears and said LALALALALALALA, for as long as it took.

Sigh....and that is where I am at this moment.

Having updated the index of my garden plants to include the recent spate of hosta orders, yet to arrive, I might add, I
    have put my hands over my ears (I have excellent hearing down to 1 db) and it sure cramps my style at the computer keyboard.

My list of just plants in my garden, by name only, includes 64 different hosta by name. Not counting that I have about 4 plantaginea species and various doubles of others I really liked and did not want to chance being without.
    I think 64 is a good number to halt at for a few weeks anyway. At least until the late summer plant sales start up again. I might even persuade my DH to go with me on a hosta hunting trip as far north as Strasburg VA, maybe NC, rent a van, come home loaded, by way of IKEA in Atlanta, in case there is a little empty space for some book shelves.

Is there a 12 step program for hosta addiction? In my life so far I managed to avoid addiction to tobacco, alcohol, drugs, gambling, whatever, but hosta may be the ruin of me yet. I can see my DH holding an INTERVENTION when he gets back from up north.

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

moccassin, #1 step in fighting hosta addiction is not to read postings labeled "What's on order?" LOL. #2 is to have your husband institute a no planting Hosta zone on your yard, and enforce it!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bernd, you are talking to "She Who Must Be Obeyed" ---- as in Rider Haggard's old novel, SHE. (Rumpole of the Bailey called his wife Hazel that also, but I did not know it was connected to the novel at that time...guess you'd have to be British to make the connection.) I have a coffee cup to prove it:

DH exerts control by not funding any of my plant purchases. The conditions in the garden exert control over NO PLANTING HOSTA ZONE because of full exposure to summer heat and no shade.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, I know I said I wasn't gonna, but I did anyway.

It started with a simple trip to Lowes for a bag of wild bird seed. Their hosta were in. So I picked up just 5:
    Undulata albo-marginata (counted it already from DH's garden)
    Whirlwind
    Minuteman
    Frances Williams
    Francee.

Then after I came home, I thought I might as well finish out the list I'd wanted before going cold turkey.

Made In The Shade order:
    Venus (hard to find it, had to look everywhere)
    Brother Stefan (my favorite,lost, must replace it always)
    Dancing Queen
    Clausa

Hornbaker order:
    Bitsy Gold
    Faith (don't think it survived, replacing it)
    Glass Heart
    Holy Mole
    Iron Gate Delight
    The Razor's Edge
    The Shining
    Kinbotan

and I think that about does it. Now to bring my index current.

• gayle0000
    12 years ago

I don't order. Hornbaker Gardens is about 1 hr from my house. I have 3 areas I am planning to plant this spring. I will supplement with other plants and shrubs.

Group #1 South Fence Line:
    Earth Angel
    Krossa Regal
    Luna Moth
    Olive Bailey Langdon

Group #2-Ava's Playhouse:
    Elegans
    Paul's Glory
    Touch of Class

Group #3-for Kitty Sue's grave/memorial area:
    Love Pat
    Bright Lights
    High Society
    Blue Mouse Ears

I'm still not 100% happy with my Group #1. I think I need a blue in the group to tone it down.
    Gayle

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Moccasinlanding-

Isolate the ones from Lowes a year or two, by keeping them in pots and not sharing cutting tools on them. Big Box stores are notorious for selling hostas with HVX.

-Babka

• indymom76
    12 years ago

Moccasinlanding-My list is long because I have to make up for lost time. :) Besides, I think your list is longer than mine! :) I still need to put the order in-this weekend-after payday!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Babka, thanks for the warning. I was thinking that was a possible hazard. And I wondered why they were stocking hosta here in Mobile, might as well be on Mars, unless they perhaps had a grower who never tested and this was an unsuspecting market....like sending our DDT to Chile, you know. (And now they ship grapes back to the US)...

One reason I was inquiring about testing for HVX.

Indymom, you are making up for lost time all right. I cannot think of a better way to celebrate a major life event, like graduating from nursing school, than gardening with something pretty. Congratulations on your accomplishment.

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

Lets see, one inexpensive hosta at Lowes costs $7, then test it for HVX with a test strip at $7, might as well have bought the hosta from a reputable internet nursery?
    Bernd