Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
almosthooked

Enabling Husband

almosthooked zone5
11 years ago

While stuck in the house painting walls and ceiling before the spring cleanup outside, I was pleasantly surprised by this parked outside the door. My husband was woking in his shop where he said he was rebuilding a trailer but little did I know it was for me. .....I just love it. Now what to plant in it ?? Although it is made with cedar , I will have to plant in pots. He wants to get wood or metal hoop wheels but for now these will do. I have two horse shoes to put on it for decorating and he is thinking of hoops for the covered wagon look. It is 30 x 60 inches. And this is what I call enabling !

Comments (20)

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Oh that is just TOO CUTE! What a talented guy you have in your woodworking shop!! You'll really have fun with that and we'll all be waiting for updates.
    Jan

• Cher
    11 years ago

That is beautiful. Whatever potted plants you place in it, I would make sure they are not so big that it hides any of the looks of the wagon, it needs to be seen.
    Cher

• gogirlterri
    11 years ago

I am soooooo--- envious! I love it!!!!!!!
    :o)
    I should be so lucky.
    Theresa

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

superb..

my first thought is.. are there plenty of holes in the base boards.. for complete and total water removal after watering ...

you issue is retarding or avoiding rotting of the wood ...

store it in winter bone dry ...

of course.. the hoops and cover.. will lose you the area in back for plants ... you might cover the back bed sideboards with something like hardware cloth.. so as to make a platform for many pots ...

hope you have kids or grandkids to haul around in it ... in your horse costume.. lol ...

a few pots on top ..... and put all your tools in the back under the hardware cloth ..... and use it to haul tools .. around the yard ... i am sure the neighbors will talk highly of you walking your plants around the yard everyday ... though they may not visit often.. fearing your sanity ... lol ..

what a sneaky guy.. you are fortunate..

ken

• dg
    11 years ago

Well bless his talented heart!

Be sure to attach decorative the horseshoes with the open end up, like a "U" so that the good luck doesn't run out ;-)

Deb

• User
    11 years ago

I think the hoops are a nice touch. I've seen pictures of the canvas covers of the Conestoga wagons (covered wagons) with the sides rolled up and tied, so it could give you some shade as well as air circulation. Nothing says you cannot have a pot of morning glories somewhere to grow up the hoops, if you decide on no canvas cover. It might look less pristine with tools hanging off it, but I can see a coiled up hose and a watering can and a small garden tool box, ready to roll where you need to work in the garden. The shovel, a bag of mulch, some slug bait, mercy what a versatile addition to your garden. It is both practical and ornamental, the best of both worlds.

Your DH gets my vote for Enabling Spouse of March 2013.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

Wonderful workmanship, and he had the sense to make it out of cedar. The man is a genius - and a fine enabler.

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Wow! Murray get the husband prize. That is adorable. Just in time for our trip to Kelowa and plants. I am visualizing a team hooked up to pull it around. Maybe Tina, Penny and Leo? Who cares what the neighbors think? This one already knows you've gone around the bend.

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks from Murray for all the compliments (and from me too.) First the large rocks, loads of compost and then my yard art... next maybe he will start planting hosta,lol.. kind of doubt it though but he is full of surprises from time to time. I could see my grandkids ripping around pulling this behind our quad or hooking up one of our mini horse or mini donkey and running the field.

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Amazing - such talent!
    Paul

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Keep him! Super guy you have there.

-Babka

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Very nice piece of work. A buckboard wagon, huh? Hmmm...

The hosta for that might be...
    Wagon Wheels
    Buckwheat Honey
    Buckeye
    Buckshaw Blue

tj

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

I'm impressed! Woodworkers are special.

So, what's going to pull it?

bk

• irawon
    11 years ago

Almosthooked, I'm with Babka.... your hubby is definitely a keeper. That wagon is awesome workmanship and I want to see a picture of your biceps downroad as well if you're going to be haulig it around.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

That is a beautiful piece of woodworking! Great comments by TJ, although may I suggest a H. 'Sharp Shooter' to ride shotgun? :)

Don B.

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love the idea of sharp shooter Don B suggested and and the ones TJ suggested too. Will have to look into finding these although not for a few days now. It is about 8 *C now but this is what we got as a surprise from our weatherman ( Jerk!)

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    11 years ago

You went from no snow to that in a couple of days? Wow! Your wagon is very nice. Enjoy your shopping trip to fill it. Paula

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Paula, the 4 or 5 inches of snow we got was over night. Nasty when we only expected rain and temperatures are in the double digits now. Probably good as it will give my back time to heal. I slipped on the 2nd step of my step ladder while painting and compressed the bottom vertabrae when I landed on my bottom with a thud. Childbirth was a piece of cake compared to this pain lol It could have happened after I finished the walls

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

What a talented guy!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Wow. I am so impressed. Give that man a hug!