Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostasmith

From The Garden Tub

hostasmith
10 years ago

Here are a few from the garden tub today. Although it was snowing outside it was spring time in the garden tub.

This first one is becoming a favorite of mine.

H. 'Rocket Red Glare'

H. 'Rubies and Ruffles'

H. 'Great Arrival'

Comments (4)

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pics, Devon. Isn't RRG a great plant? Bev really outdid herself on that one. I brought mine in early to try to do some work with it this year. Last year mine did not bloom until mid September.

Steve

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is a very nice hosta. It has great red legs and wavy edges. I had thought that if I became a hosta pimp this year that I would use Stephen King to get some red going, but now I am leaning more towards RRG with maybe Sun Power, Fried Bananas and some of the streakers I have going now.

Can hostas be forced to bloom by regulating the amount and color of the lights?

Here is another from this morning.

H. 'American Halo'

With the way they are going now and the new potting media I am using I will soon have an overflowing tub of hostas.

I have definitely jumped straight in to the deep end this year!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Oh, that's a big WOW on Rocket's Red Glare, Devon! ..it goes up into the leaf blade so far! Those sure are shooting up at a fantastic rate...you'd think they were out in the garden! :-)

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Devon,

I first brought in Mango Salsa last year to get an early red to bloom and that worked really well for me. It bloomed at least a month or more early. This year I have started a pot of Beet Salad and one of RRG, as I mentioned. However, Jeff Moore posted on Facebook that this does not always work. Hostas tend to bloom by daylight length. Some are Long daylight length bloomer and some are short. Montanas and Siebodianas tend to bloom when the daylight length is long. Most (but not all) of the Reds bloom when the daylight length is shorter (Sept & October). In Jeff's experience bringing a SDL Hosta in early doesn't change its bloom time by much if at all. You could take a SDL plant inside in July perhaps and put it under lights, simulating short daylight length, but you'd have to make sure it was in an otherwise dark basement type room. It's probably easier to freeze pollen from one year to the next, and/or to bring RRG inside in October and allow the seed pods to finish ripening that way.

So the short answer is that Beet Salad will probably bloom early, but RRG probably not.

Steve