Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaflover76

Do You Put Hosta Rings Around Your Trees?

leaflover76
11 years ago

I always loved looking at the landscapes in my community that had hosta rings around the base of their trees. I always knew I would do that same effect when I owned a house. Bought our first home 8 years ago and have since created my own rings. These are the trees I have put rings around:

Honeybells around my grafted Euonymus

Sugar Daddy around my Eastern Redbud

Plantaginea around my Maple (did this twice)

Guacamole around my Tri-Color Beech (May and just unfurling)

My Guacamole unfurled

If you have done the same thing, show us your pics.

Comments (12)

• User
    11 years ago

Hmmm, I know what you mean but in this case, my TREE is in a container, it is a ficus benjamina, and those are small hosta also in containers surrounding it. :)

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Hmmmm, verrrrryy clever, Mocc, verrry clever. If you pan out, will we see that your lawn is in a giant container as well? :)

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Nice, Leaflover, nice fragrants. Tell me; is it ever possible to smell the flowers easily enough just by walking by a ringed area? Just curious.

Thanks,
    Don B.

• User
    11 years ago

Oh yeah, DonB, it gets even more complicated. We have few trees in our garden, but I manage to place rings of containers around most of the spots where shade can be found. Or maybe I ring a bird bath, or a pedestal. I ringed a huge camellia sasanqua with old hanging baskets of fern left over from summer, and don'tchakno they rooted and came back to life, and are spreading far and wide, with pots of hosta placed strategically in between them. The pots sort of disappear, swallowed up by the ferns.

I really like to do this, surrounding the trees with the hosta. It doesn't harm the tree, and gives shade to my containers. Shade is precious in this climate.

I have more pictures of pots around the in-ground trees too, but don't have time to check for them now. My DH is coming home tomorrow morning.

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Lancifolia around a very old white birch tree. Pic taken from a 2nd story window through a screen.

• User
    11 years ago

That is an absolutely beautiful garden area there. The way you have your hosta in irregular sections seems to resemble what I'm trying to do with my containers. Only, your place is so much better organized than mine. That represents a LOT of work!
    Wish we could have white birch. All I was able to grow is a betula negra, or a river birch.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    11 years ago

The trees and hostas complement each other nicely. And no grass growing up through the hostas planted at the base of trees in the lawn.
    Hostanista, what a great looking yard you have. Cute shed, like your sitting area, so neat and tidy looking, but lush at the same time. And LOVE that birch tree!

• xena45
    11 years ago

I have several birch trees in my yard. I think they are beautiful, but it's hard to grow plants close to them because of their root systems, and japanese beetles like birch leaves, which is a real bummer.

• leaflover76
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Don - My Plantaginea are right by the sidewalk at the very front of my house and I cant say I have ever walked by and been able to smell the flowers. What I do is cut them off and put them in a vase in my kitchen. Smells up the main floor of my house nicely. The ring of Honeybells has a noticeable smell when I walk by. I don't know if the fragrance is stronger or because I planted 11 of them years ago and they just are so mature and lush. The Guacamole puts out a fragrance but I only notice it when I'm tending the garden in that spot.

• hostanista
    11 years ago

That pic of my back yard is 2 years old - my former property. Small city lot of 50 x 145. No grass whatsoever. it was too shady to grow a decent lawn. That's boring anyway. It's also where I learned to love hostas. Now I have 1.6 acres in the country. Still tons of shade so plenty of room for new babies. There is still snow on the property but it's beginning to melt.....s..l..o..w..l..y. Took this picture of the only thing blooming right now (besides the standard Snow Drops). This is the curious flower of the Witch Hazel.

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

I love a hosta ring. I have a neighbor that has it done spectacularly. I have a hard time limiting myself to one kind of plant. Nice topic for a thread.

Hostanista, I like your garden picture. Very beautiful layout.

Beverly MN

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Of course not everyone appreciates tree circles. Check out The Astonishing Truth Behind Tree Circles under 'Design" at the Renegade's website.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Astonishing Truth Behind Tree Circles

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm