Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where are the predators?

Posted by mosswitch 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 22:12

For the first time in my memory living in this area, we are overrun by rabbits and voles. I'm not seeing many owls and hawks this year, I am wondering if the tornado last May in Joplin played a major part in it. I know there was a tremendous loss of habitat with more than a third of Joplin's trees gone, but I also wonder if the nesting season was also majorly disrupted, nests destroyed and birds killed. My husband suggested also that perhaps the rabbits were driven into undamaged areas where there is still habitat. There is definitely a serious imbalance of predators and prey here.

Not only that, I am seeing less songbirds. No mockingbirds at all, and we usually have at least two pair.

And my emerging hostas are getting eaten. Grrr! Tomorrow there will be a trip to Lowe's for the Repellex I saw there last fall!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where are the predators?

We are starting to get quite a few Bald Eagles around here.. and we have had many hawks for quite awhile.. I see very few rabbits anymore out at my Moms farm.

o

I don't know about the rabbits, but vole populations are cyclical. Some years you are overrun and some years there are only a few. Voles typically have a territory of only about a quarter of an acre, so they're probably not from Joplin. Bunnies may be different. Voles are also a main source of predator food, so you are right that there may be an imbalance. Go get em.

Steve

o

One of the local predators showed up today, probably the biggest black snake I've ever seen; about 5' long and almost as big around as my wrist. Coal black, shiny and laid all the way across the path with no intention of moving for little old me, until I nudged it with my foot. Then it meandered off on its own sweet time into the brush pile, where I assume it lives. Go Blackie! Get them voles!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here