Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

For those longing for spring...

hosta_freak
10 years ago

Here is a pic of Parhelion rising up for another spring. No,this is not from this year,but a couple years back. Everything is still underground here. Phil

Comments (20)

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Everything is still under a foot of snow here.

However. I am declaring, for the entire eastern part of the country, the official end to the winter!

I almost said "the winter from Hell". But that would have been considerably warmer.

Bed cam:

{{gwi:228011}}.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Spring is trying to come . My single crocus has turned to many,but we had two inches of snow last night. It is supposed to be 70 degrees tomorrow .

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Krossa Regal' from last spring. Hope to get a very similar pic real soon.

Don B.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I have this spring's pips. They survived the 20 degree morning in the garden shed covered in blankets. Only Invincible looks like it was damaged. I'll take some photos tomorrow.

bk

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I walked outside over hosta beds today, they were covered with 8 inches of ice like snow, no sinking in. Witch hazel buds did not show any swelling, bloomed 2011 on March 17, probably not this year. Tonight it will be -4 dgrs. Bernd

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Two years ago, on March 11th, I spent three hours in the front bed doing spring chores and having the time of my life getting reacquainted with all my plants.

Last year, well...., I remember one evening....taking every last sheet out of the linen closet, and pillow cases...to cover all my hosta and tender perennials to shelter them from a late hard frost due that night. It was worth the effort. Nothing suffered...the only hiccup was one leaf on H. 'English Sunrise' which ended up a bit lighter than the rest...I guess it was left exposed. Good thing the leaves are thick, otherwise it would have likely suffered more.

This year I'll be lucky if all snow is gone by the end of this month!!!!
    I'm so cranky...thank goodness for these pictures and progress reports...it helps ease the disappointment somewhat.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went out and looked at the garden yesterday,and it looks like I may have to wait until you all up north to see any signs of life. Ordinarily,by now some plants would be showing eyes,but there is nothing up yet. I think the freeze may have done some damage,but so far there is nothing to see. Japanese maples are showing buds,however. Phil

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

what can I say! Sooner the better

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

Wow!! Got my first shipment (from Naylor Creek yesterday. Also alot of rain and I can't get out to take care of them so I put them in water. I got Deep BLue Sea, Pete's Dark Satellite, Ebony Towers, Captain's Adventure and Unforgettable. We are supposed to have rain all week!!! Jeez, they are advertising the movie Noah!! Until we got up here (from San Diego, Cal.)I never quite understood the words "too wet to plow" and "the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise!" We landed in the middle of farm country and those words took on a whole new meaning! I don't mind the rain, that is what keeps Western Oregon so green! But "Noah"???

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Rosie, don't keep them in water as they could rot. Much better to wrap them in damp newspaper. At the very least, make sure the crowns are out of the water.

tj

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

As long as the crown isn't in water it's OK.

Steve

• donrawson
    10 years ago

Looking great, Phil. Where in North Carolina are you located? And when do you normally have all the hostas up and leafed out? Are you having a colder-than-normal spring? Don

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Lol...you go girl!!!!almost hooked in BC!!!

Steve, I remember the first time you posted that pic...I love it...is that how they display them in China?

Rosie...i bought some bagged hosta last March and they had to live in water in jam jars for at least a month. I changed water every other day, rinsed the roots too because I didn't want to lose them to rot and they fared well until planted outdoors. It was fun 'gardening' indoors, lol. I kept the crowns carefully suspended above the water level.

Went to local greenhouse today hoping to score on some more bagged treasures but was dismayed to find that their shipment won't be in for another couple of weeks! Wwaaaa. I had to come home with something green so I bought a Palm Ponytail, two packets of nasturtium seeds (to entice bunnies to eat these edible yummiest instead of my perennials) and twenty jiffy peat pellets...gotta do something or go crazy.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I'm In Texas and I have pips this year. We had a 16 degree morning on Monday, so I wasn't sure how we'd do. Invincible was bitten. But, most survived with little damage in the shed covered in Sheets.

Singed on the tips - Invincible
    {{gwi:952906}}

So Sweet
    {{gwi:952908}}

Fragrant Dream
    {{gwi:952910}}

All the fragrants are beginning to grow. The slugs are out as well.

bk

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don,I live in Franklin,NC,and my house is 20 miles north of the Georgia border. Yes,we are having a colder than normal everything,from winter to almost spring. Ordinarily,some hostas,especially Undulatas,and the fragrant ones,which are usually the first to emerge. Even montana Aureomarginata,which is usually started up by now,is not up yet. It is supposed to be rain,changing over to a wintry mix tonight,and we have never had that in March. Phil

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

Thanks for the heads up Folks! I did remember that! We had rain all day yesterday and some of today. we are supposed to be dry tomorrow and part of Sat. Hopefully I will get the Hosta in pots, I have a trash can I keep potting soil in and some pots outside off my deck. Maybe they will get the sprinklers finished tomorrow too. Steve, that is an awesome setup you have and gorgeous plants. Last night we had a pretty good wind and one of the trees out my little grove came down! My cousins live next to me, they heat with a wood burner , so tomorrow he will start cutting up the tree. A good deal he gets some firewood and I get the tree cleared out!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Rosie- Congrats on the new order! You know they will be fine... you have been doing this for many years like me. 3/4 of mine are up (pips and some leaves) here in San Jose. Spring is here.

Down here in SJ, we are past frost days. April 1st is tomato planting time.
    ;-)

-Babka

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

It's spring in New Orleans, but it was the coldest Mardi Gras on record. I'm spending a few days with my grandsons. There's a winter weather advisory at home. Hope it all melts before I get back to North Carolina.
    Kathy

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Am I the only one that was surprised a hosta order went out already? No one else blinked at that! I sincerely hope I don't receive mine right now, I would be seriously panicking. Less than 5 would be easy but more than 5 and it would be a very different ball game, getting worse as the number went up.

I'm in the Raleigh area of NC, so a bit warmer here than Phil's location. I am seeing peonies and agapanthus emerging right now, along with a few others greening up that never really died back all the way (like coreopsis and helenium) but no hosta pips as of yet. We are supposed to have 4 days back to back of 65 to 70 degrees starting tomorrow. That should get things going.

Here's to hoping this week is the one!

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I'm worried about another severe cold front. I don't have enough space in my garden shed for more than my fragrants. I noticed yesterday that the next round are starting to come up. Ann Kulpa is showing pips, as it Irish Luck. (I guess I could take out the lawn mower and such, if I have to.)

bk