Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm tired of seeing no green...

Posted by hosta_freak z6 NC (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 22:24

So here is a pic of some of my hostas not in the garden,but along my driveway. Mostly Undulatas,but they are hostas,right? Phil

photo DSC_0012_zps32e7066b.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm tired of seeing no green...

Me too....so here is another " greenie " my front walkway...and a pic of a pic that I lost in hard drive crash...

o

Green! 'Valentine Lace' with some lilies o the valley.

Don B.

o

Here is a view of my gardening spot in April last year, when the mornings were filled with anticipation of what new look would I discover!

This March we are still cool, in the 40s midmorning today, but I have high hopes. Perhaps, since it stopped raining during the night, I can get a few shots of the pips and unfurling leaves.

o

I'm tired of seeing white. 90 days and counting of snow cover on the ground...with no end in sight.

Morningcloak butterflies overwinter here and usually show up in April, so this is the color I await...and wait...and wait for. This was on my 'Blue Star' juniper last year.

tj

o

If I may say so, this lovely green pic makes a very soothing wallpaper for your computer screen.

Don B.

o

'Gosan Sunproof' with it's nice thick, greeeen leaves. Come on spring!

Don B.

o

Here's a summer garden visitor who is Kermit green :-)

o

I thought this little guy might cheer ye up. Awwww!

o

And a few times last year I had some of the very loud but very tiny tree frogs too. One I caught in the Sum & Substance.

o

Another frog on the mechanism of the yella umbrella. They like the hosta garden. So do the birds

o

Phil, always have liked your driveway hosta beds.

And today I finally got out to take pictures of my pipping hosta. Some are further along than others, still mostly pips, but a few green leaves. Here is one of them. Pretty soon I'll have a bit more to show.

MOST of the ones breaking dormancy early are fragrant hosta. Included are Doubled Up, plantaginea species, Mojito, Sweet Standard, Moonlight Sonata, Athena, Fragrant Fire, White Knight, and the very first one to show, Sweet Marjorie.

The others not fragrant are both pots of Purple Lady Fingers, Ice Cream, LS Black Satin, Boyz Toy, Boracay, and....well, I guess that might be all for now.

I upload here the picture of Athena because it looks amazing, how many pips are showing. I know we might not all have good luck with that particular line of fragrants, but I'm counting on Athena being a sport of Aphrodite it might also be a little different blooming. It got here too late last year to bloom, I think, although it was still going at the end of October.
DSCN0040
It was in a spot where it got a lot of sun, even afternoon sun, which might account for all the new eyes, you reckon?

But here she is, Athena, today, hope she can fulfill her promise.

o

I cannot leave you with the thought that the picture above doesn't look like much actually, I'm not just suffering from cabin fever....so here is another shot with some better growth. Not much, but some better.

This is Old Faithful, by Olga.

o

Mocc,I get nostalgic,seeing the Spanish moss in your picture! Many years of living in Florida,and seeing it. I even brought some up with me one year and tried to grow it here,but it got just too cold to grow very long here,and just disappeared. Phil

o

Phil, that moss thrives on humidity, it is a member of the tillandsia family. It even blooms with a sort of brownish red tiny flower. I love it hanging in the trees because it makes the breeze visible. It even sighs along with the pines. I see the cardinals plucking strands of it as they build nests. Love it myself.

Last June before I laid the sand dollar stepping stones
IMG_20130617_115618.jpg

o

You guys have posted some gorgeous pictures! Nothing green here except the evergreens and bits of grass peeking through the snow.

o

I have greens. There are dwarf conifers and rhododendrons providing winter interest, except the very small conifers are hiding under snow. But in my basement I have hosta seedlings which grow nicely. Here are various streaked seedlings in two side-by-side 10x20 inch trays. Bernd

o

I would go out and check for my earliest pips, from Montana Aureomarginata, but there is still snow covering the ground in the shady areas of the yard. It is in the low 50's here today so I went out and raked leaves away from a couple of the front yard beds so the daffodils can get some sun. At least they are emerging and will give me something to monitor over the next month! It felt good to be doing something garden related and productive.

o

One pic deserves another. This is a pic from another part of the garden,and is the wallpaper on my laptop. Phil

photo DSC_0019-1.jpg

o

I'm trying to remember this:

photo DSC_0008-9_zpse9bcaa40.jpg

o

Some really good pics there!...
moccasinlanding what's the name of the hosta in your picture to the bottom of the right hand side in the pot?
Also harryshoe what's the name of the hosta in the middle of the big blue and yellow hostas to the right?
Thanks uk

o

UK, in the last picture I posted above, in the bottom right corner are two hosta, both in containers. The darker one (no pot shows, but it is in one) is Avocado. The other one is Cathedral Windows.

Hope that helps? The Avocado is my DH's favorite.
Here they are again, with Avocado in the foreground and Cathedral Windows further off to the left and back.
Garden13July0187

and here is a portrait of Cathedral Windows alone last July.
Garden13July0190

I am truly flattered that any of my plants bring a comment from you. You are an exquisite gardener.

o

Mostly Undulatas, Phil, but is that a fragrant hosta towards the far end of the pic? A 'Holy Mole' or a 'Cathedral Windows' maybe?

Nice pics, Mocc!

Don B.

P.S. Or, maybe it's a 'Lakeside Shoremaster', Phil?

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 20:15

o

Yeah,Don,the last identifable hosta is Cathedral Windows,and the gold one right next to it is one of my many Gold Standards.There are a lot of plants in that strip, but with angle of the photo,it's hard to see all of them. Thanks for lookin'! Phil

o

Phil, what is the name of the tall, up-right hosta on the far right hand side of the picture? I REALLY like that view of your garden!

Terri

o

Cannot wait to see this strip of botanic beauty coming up. Maybe by April 1st. I'm excited to see if it will progress as a third year planting 'should' (Not counting 'Fortunei Aureomarginata', because I've had it growing there since 2009. Coming soon, hosta peeps! It's alllmmmooooossssstttt over! We can do this, we always do and we'll do it again : )

Three Cheers to Spring OY! OY!! OY!!!

Don B.

o

Moccasin, your picture of H.'Avocado' does not agree with the Hosta Library and mine. Bernd

o

Hmmmm, Bernd I'll have to look into it. The only pictures of it I have are now on Flickr (for 2012) and then last year. Let me see what is going on here....... thanks for the observation. Back with you when I do some research.

o

Terri the tall one is Krossa Regal,but a lot of my hostas grow tall,due to the high overhead trees. Phil

o

Bernd, here it is in 2012 soon after it came from Hallsons. It was my very first BONUS hosta. Have never checked it for ID before.
Hosta12Apr291

It seems to me it looks pretty much like the Avocado in first few photos on HostaLibrary, definitely not the last two uploaded by Nightmouse....there is too much gold midleaf and the margins while green are not really wide in Nightmouse's pictures. I'd say those look more like Stained Glass, IMHO.

Here is another picture of several related hosta in my garden in 2012, all identified at that time.
Lots of fragrant hosta in this pic
Which one looks like your Avocado? How old is your plant? Mine is entering its 3d year here, and I believe Hallsons' plants are 3 years old when sold, so hopefully mine is showing some maturity this year. I'm pretty satisfied that mine is correctly labelled, after checking the Hosta Library.

Since Stained Glass is not in that shot above, here is one of her for reference, including specimen from 2 different sources, #1Solberg, #2Naylor. Another 2012 shot.
Hosta12July224

How about giving us a look at your Avocado?

o

Moccasin, upper right corner is identified as h.'Avocado', that's what I have too, similar leaf design and colors though mine has a wider center. The one in the foreground of a picture in your earlier post seemed to have lost most of its gold center.
My following picture was taken in July. Your plant grows in a much warmer climate than mine, perhaps that creates more green in your leaf.
Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 18:08

o

Bernd, I was thinking the same thing, because the gold/yellow will fade away with the amount of shade I must give my plants. I keep them early in the season with as much sunlight as I dare, then as it warms up I either move them into less sun, or I provide umbrella shade for them.

Our sun climbs higher in the sky, further toward the north, than you have in your more northerly latitude. I never thought about it being that different until someone with a bed on her north side said she never lost all her shade there. But we do...I mean, we get quite a swing to the north here at 30 North! I wind up with some shade on the SOUTH side of my house, actually, and NONE on the north! BUT, the light inside the house, from the north, is true color with only a little sunlight hitting the floors in our north-facing rooms.

I guess Avocado is a good example of the "latitude effect"....
I'm glad you brought it up, a good demonstration of the difference in light/heat exposure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here