Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show some "ground cover" hosta

Posted by moccasinlanding z9A AL (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 22:28

You know....the little guys which spread quickly and make you feel good because they are no-brainers....

Twist of Lime...coming on strong early
DSCN0509

Purple Lady Fingers...2 pots looking full already, but wait until they are loaded up with the unopening deep purple blooms on a hoard of tall scapes!
DSCN0495

Then little Banana Muffins is a nice gold small which I got in 2012 and has 8 eyes poking up this year. It will look so nice in a couple of weeks.

What's your idea of "ground cover" or mass planting success?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show some "ground cover" hosta

What about Stiletto? Seems to be really fast growing and quite sun-tolerant.
Can't show you mine 'cause it's still sleeping under snow )

p.s. moccasinlanding, love your Purple Lady Fingers

o

reality check.. they are still under a foot of snow ...

ken

o

My 'Ginko Craig' grows like gangbusters and is a great ground cover! So does 'Golden Scepter' grow vigorously. Here's GC...pic taken last year.

I'm in denial so you'll have to please forgive me for posting non-current growth...I think it's great that some of you "early birds" are sharing your progress - it will carry me and a few others for a couple weeks more....as we continue to wait it out. :-)

This post was edited by josephines67 on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 13:00

o

Michigan reality or Alabama reality? Both realities exist; in Michigan, hostas are under snow...in Alabama, hostas are under palm and banana trees. : )

Don B.

o

I still have "ground cover" snow, but soon will see what the voles did. Bernd

o

Bernd, hope vole damage is minimal. That would be insult added to injury after such a hellacious winter. We have dieback on bananas and sago palms, and the elephant ears, but last cold winter new growth rose like a phoenix from the ashes.

o

Not my picture but have ordered this one .Glenn stated it spreads fast for ground cover and to plant in an area you want ground cover like under or around a tree. Looks nice from the picture

Clausa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here