Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to divide

Posted by emme-dc none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 22:55

My first hostas are grown up enough, I'm going to be dividing some this spring. I've never done it before, and I'm looking for some really specific advice about how to do it. I just have this idea that you dig up a clump of rooty stuff, and break it apart, and plant the eyes separately. But do I cut it with a knife? Hack it with a spade? Pry with fork? Tear with hands? Make big pieces, small ones? Water first? What else? When I bought these plants, they were potted. So I've never actually seen the underground part of the plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to divide

Why do you want to divide your Hosta? The reason I ask is that Hosta do not need to be divided. In fact, when you divide a Hosta you will set it back in terms of its maturation. Many Hosta aren't fully mature until 5 or 6 years of age.

The two reasons for dividing Hosta would be 1. if they have outgrown their space or 2. if you want to propagate them by division. Assuming that one of these is your reason follow the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to divide and ship Hostas

o
RE: how to divide

what he said.. and really nice link ...

but i will add some thoughts ...

the ONLY reason to divide [not including sharing] ... is because its too big for the spot.. if its too big.. then you should select one that will fit ... WITHOUT DIVIDING ... and move the too big one somewhere else ..

if you can pull them apart.. as compared to the link ... pull them apart ... if the plant allows such ... if not.. use a knife.. i favor dollar store knives ... one butchers knife for the big works.. and one stout small one for intricate work .... [meaning NOT one that bends] ..

otherwise.. have fun..

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here