Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Forget the Sluggo, get the shotgun!

don_in_colorado
11 years ago

Ah, spring is here, time for some mulching, grass-mowing and-Hey, did you hear that? Sounds like-where's Fido?? Here boy! Aaaaaargh!!

This thing could decimate a mature 'Guacamole' all by itself! Good thing they live in Africa (Although they just found this type in Australia)...I know snails aren't dangerous, but it still kinda gives me the heebie-jeebies!

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: African Giant Land Snail Article

Comments (17)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    11 years ago

I'm with you. I wouldn't want to see that in my yard, or anyone else's for that matter!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

with that thing.. you could come up with some new kind of torture thru escargot ... lol ...

ken

ps: man o live.. you got the fever bad.. surfing the web for slugs and snails.. lol ....

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

I don't mind SEEING it, just keep it away from my garden! At least the shell is pretty, better than an ugly all over slug.

• tepelus
    11 years ago

I don't know, sea slugs are pretty cool.

Oh, but I guess you weren't talking about those kind of slugs. ;)

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Slug Pictures

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Well, I guess I will feel pretty lucky this summer if I only have our normal slug damage!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

I cringe at the photo! Argggggggggghhhhhhhhh. I get uncomfortable even seeing cement or wire-style snails. Out here they cause so much damage. That jewel would require a sledge hammer for sure.

-Babka

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Ahhahahahaha Babka you made me laugh out loud :)

"That jewel would require a sledge hammer for sure"

-priceless

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

:-D

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

...And his cousin...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know, Ken........It's pretty ridiculous....

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Babka, that's the funniest thing I've ever heard! I almost hurt myself laughing....AND it's a very practical way to eliminate a major threat to our Hostas, were we ever to have giant snails invading our gardens :)

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Don R; do you keep them in terrariums (I'm not sure I spelled that right)? Where do you get them, not that I am ready to change my African cichlid (Lake Tanganyika) tanks over to giant African snails and slugs. Just curious.

Les

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, I don't own these, Les. A friend told me about the 'Giant Ghanan Land Snail' so I looked it up, not quite believing him that they were THAT big. Ken pretty much summed it up with his comment about me having spring fever so bad, that I was looking up pictures I can associate with warm weather.

I love aquariums, and have a 150 Gallon; Cichlids are great, this is the closest thing I have to an African Cichlid. The stately Angelfish. Most of my fish are Amazon River/Basin natives, with the exception of my Clown Loaches. No way fish should get the boot for land mollusks, even interesting ones.

Don B.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

Oh man, that cousin gives me the creeps but I really like the slug-hunter with the sledge hammer.

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Don B, I'm not going to bore you with telling you my age. I had a breeding pair of Blue Acara whenI was only 10 years old, and after breeding Jack Dempseys, Firemouths, Convicts, and the common Central and South American fare at the time, gravitated to the Lake Malawi cichlids when they'd become available in the hobby in the 1960's. Breeding them financed my building my fish room to 18 tanks. But my largest held a pair of Red Oscars who were more pet than fish. They loved to rub against my hand when I put it in their tank. Oscars are the smartes cichlids I have ever owned from either hemisphere.

Les

• leafwatcher
    11 years ago

Don I raised African cichlids as well as Bristle nose Pleco's...

ALSO I have a link to SLUG PIC's that will leave you all terrified ! hahahahah

http://imgur.com/a/J2YyS

maybe this is why they invented rock salt for shotguns?

This post was edited by leafwatcher on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 16:59

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I do the gentle approach, have 3 1/2 bottles (each 3 lbs) of Bug-Geta waiting for them. They will leave some slimy trails.
    Bernd