Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

front yard...

don_in_colorado
11 years ago

Front Yard...I know the solid-to-variegated ratio is all askew, but it felt right. Area is a little sloped, and plants are a little staggered, so nothing will be obscured. I highly doubt it'll look cr*ppy. Will take pics soon. One more to plant. Not sure what it'll be. Hostas are fun. :)

MIKI ---- JOURNEYS END---- GREAT EXP.

????-------PRAIRIE SKY-------- IRISH LUCK

JUNE-------- REMEMBER ME-------- JUNE
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Line above is where bed ends, and stupid lawn begins.

Cheers All,
Don B.

Comments (25)

• User
    11 years ago

Well spoken, Don....."stupid lawn".....always a problem.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL yes, waste of space.... :)

Don B.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    11 years ago

I agree that "hostas are fun" and lawn is stupid! You have a nice assortment of hostas picked out for your front yard. Should look lovely.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    11 years ago

Don, you may want to consider changing out one of the 'June's for a 'Touch of Class', that way you have 3 different members of that family, looking similar, but different.

BTW, roto-tillers are great at dealing with lawns.....

Pieter

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Cardboard or newspapers and mulch are even easier than rototillers when dealing with that weedy grass people call lawns. Lol!

Sandy

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Don, what about Key Lime Pie? It would tie in nicely with the surrounding colors and echo the wavy edges of Irish luck on the other side. Just a thought. Looks great.

Beverly

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is a great pick, Beverly. Decisions, decisions. :) I like Pieter's idea as well.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You know what, heck with this. I'm just gonna go ahead and add a bunch more plants to the hosta/daylily bed in my front yard! I was just going to plant the area to the left of the Aspen trees, but that just won't do. I have 40 plants shipping out to me on Monday, and I am going to take full advantage of every square foot of hosta-friendly space! As you can see from this pic, I have already begun. I just need to grade and slope it, and I'm gonna go do that now! So I'll have Hostas planted from the Pine tree to where the orange bucket is. I have 3 hours of good sun, so I'm outta here! :)

Cheers, Everybody!!
    Don B.

P.S. Obviously this is the 'before' pic. I'll update it soon!

• User
    11 years ago

Well, I guess you are about done for the evening and feeling good about it. Sore muscles tomorrow I betcha.

I agree that you've made a good choice of another spot to enrich with hosta. That space is begging to be made special, which is exactly what your hosta will do.

Do we have to wait until you put the hosta in the ground, or do we bet to see the prepared beds?

I'm thinking you could raise ONE up in the middle of all the planting, like on a pedestal/plinth/whatever. I'm thinking about this stuff since I saw West Elm and Room/Board and PotteryBarn feature for ~ $200 a section of a tree trunk, debarked, as a side table. I've collected several from different places, now plan to get one more from the neighbor who had a big tree cut down last week. The bigger the diameter the better. But you can get fancy if that's your leaning.

Going to be more fun for you this summer. :)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Redo......Decided to go with this instead, gonna change it all up to match this rock border stuff I did today...Think I'll do the beds in the backyard like this, too....Good times...Hope everyone is having a great weekend and it's warming up for you...

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another...

• User
    10 years ago

Hmmmm, what I'm feeling here is ROCK ENVY. You are using a lot of rocks and that is something I really would LOVE to have available, and good golly you use them like you could get MORE if you run short......wow, I think it has to be gorgeous when you plant it up. .....sigh......rock envy......

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mocc, yes I can get a LOT more LOL......Rocky Mountains at my back door and all :) Yes, in front of the 'Krossa Regal' is a 30 eye 'August Moon' I bought from my neighbor for 10 bucks. It should be poking up any minute now....I added 'Sugar Babe' in the front, with 'Devon Green' off to the side a bit. I will certainly take some pics and post them every week or so. I actually just planned on making one rockbed for 'Krossa Regal' to raise it up a bit, surprised myself by how much I liked it, so I just kept going. I'm still going....

Regards,
    Don B.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Don,your hard work is paying off, it looks just great so far. I am a rock hound too and have them all over the back yard in and around my hosta. Besides going to the mountains, we had a whole tri- drive gravel truck load full from a friend who owns a gravel / rock business and lucky enough, my husband drives for him from time to time when he gets bored with retirement ( and me making work projects) The super large ones we have were moved with our old backhoe but as the others were moved by hand As you say loads of fun to see the results,. Keep us updated

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have to thank McTavish for the inspiration; Her flowerbeds are fantastic. Love what she does with stone. I'm looking forward to doing much, much more of this in the following weeks/months.

So, THANK YOU, McTavish! :)

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Faye. I appreciate it! Lots more pics to come!

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Krossa Regal' finally leafing out.

Don B.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

It's looking great. I have serious rock envy, too. We have to have ours hauled in, and at 10 to 20 cents a pound, they get used as accents, not walls.

Nothing leafing out here, but with temps falling back to the low 30s by next weekend, it's just as well.

• User
    10 years ago

I agree that Myrle's garden walls and borders and raised beds of rock are an inspiration. Myrle was so kind to tell me how she did that adobe/stucco look for the walls, very naturalistic. Maybe she will respond again with her method for your garden.

And Don, I can only imagine what a 30 eye August Moon must look like emerging, none of mine are that advanced. However, I have a tub of 2 August Moon and 2 Midas Touch which all increased in eye count from their first year. One of each is leafing out, the other two are pipping. Collectively they may resemble your big guy.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Battle Star' just poking up. Anybody have this one? It seems to be a not-very-well-known variety. It's a really nice one, though.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Gosan Sunproof' ready to be sited in the earth. As soon as this coming snow passes, it will be.

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Whoaaaa, Don, that is some huge eyes on that Gosan Sunproof. I have mine, with multiple eyes, but nowhere near that large. Just as well, since yours will go in the ground and mine stay in a container.

Let's see if I have a picture of it to share as a comparison to yours.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love the bluish tint on the leaves of your GS, Mocc. Seems like this variety is a very fast grower.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Front yard raised area FINALLY starting to look like something.

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Don, looks to me like you have a perfect spot to site a rain barrel. It's all downhill from your down spout, right? And a short hose could water those in the house bed.

You go, guy!