Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Sagae update...This one's for Phil

User
9 years ago

Phil, I know you are raking away leaves looking for pips, so I thought I'd give you a little eye candy of what my Sagae is doing now. I look forward to seeing your lovely specimen in a couple of weeks.

Liberty with parent Sagae a little left and beyond.

Gonna get it into a new pot, by next year it won't be coming out of this one. Something like a whiskey barrel perhaps.

In all its glory from overhead

The ENERGY this hosta exudes is awesome.

Hope this cheers you up as you wait for pips.

Comments (31)

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

I had my first crocus bloom yesterday. Pussy willows are just getting ready to bloom. Day lilies, daffodils, Iris, tree buds are swelling, ducks frogs and geese are back, March Peepers are peeping. No pips showing on any hosta, but the ground has defrosted and the grass is just starting to green.

We will have our turn to gloat Moc.

Jon

• gardens1
    9 years ago

Mocc, I can see how much energy your Sagae exudes... so much so that you had to put a light in the pot to give it something to channel it's energy too... ;)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah yes, Gardens1, when I see Sagae, and now Liberty as well, I see the aura of ENERGY all around it. Every LINE of that plant exudes it.

And Jonny, I apologize if I seemed to gloat, because I did not intend to do that. Just give some eye candy of what you all have soon to arrive. I'm not sure if this is LEAP year in my garden or not, but there are some which are opening much different leaves than in previous times. I do not recognize mature hosta leaves, never having seen many of them, just pictures. I do not want to toss them out when they are not virused, but simply wrinkling up as they do when mature. I'll have to start a thread about that.

I'll be glad when all of youse guys can get off the porch and play in the dirt with your big hosta.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Hey,Mocc! My Sagae is up at about 4 inches with 6 big fat eyes. With this weather,it will catch up soon. Nice plants! My Liberty is up also,though not as big yet. It won't be long. Phil

• esox48
    9 years ago

We're expecting a foot of snow in the next 24 hours and hadn't gotten rid of the winter's accumulation yet. The hostas I see are this year's seedlings in the basement under lights. Some are pretty cool though.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glad you found the thread, Phil. I was thinking of you and your beautiful Sagae beside the green ginger jar as I took the pictures. I bet seeing those 4 inch tall pips poking put a smile on your face!

Esox, hang in there, this too shall pass. I believe that the basement is the most beneficial spot in a northern home. Houses do not have them here, but then we are not cooped up like you guys are in the frozen north.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Moc,

Just kidding. I was not offended...nor did I think you were really gloating

Jon

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

This is my baby Sagae as of this evening, so excited lol!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mountainy, those eyes look like Texas longhorns! Judging by my plant, it multiplies at a good clip.

Jonny, dinna fache yesel, it is okay. Us folks way down south have other problems but getting a head start on emerging hosta is not one of them. I guess it all balances out in the end.
    For you, Jonny, here is another hosta......

Sea Gulf Stream on the left and JOHNNY ANGEL on the right. Both arrived here in 2013. Love those golds.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Gettin' some SIZE on a lot of your plants, Mocc. Looking good! I can only hope mine are catching up. We'll soon see. 'Sea Gulf Stream' is fantastic; I think it must be one of the best golds, eh? Please do keep these pics coming, it's something to look forward to!

Don B.

• timhensley
    9 years ago

We've only just had a few warm days this week so maybe some crocus soon. We've not had a winter this hard in several years. I didn't mind as it helps my business having a real winter but I am ready for spring. Bring on the daffodils.!

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

moc, that looks like a heavy pot. You wheel it out in a wagon, or somepin?

reminds me of the cactus we used to lug out every year, huge and finally got so big we just left it outside. Prickley pear. I fell into it as a kid. Took hours for my grandmother to pull out the little stickers with tweezers. oh, that was painful.

thanks for the memories ... ha!

dave

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bragu/Dave, it is surely a heavy ceramic pot, and it weighs even more full of soil/potting mix after it gets wet. I learned my lesson with those big pots! Suddenly, the black plastic nursery pots make a lot more sense, with some smaller pots screening anything which might take away from the effect.

I remember prickly pin cushion cacti from my grandparents farm too. That was hardy up in north Alabama, always near the dirt road flourishing winter or summer in the red clay bank. Up there is where I came to appreciate the soil between my bare toes, and the joy of watching things grow.

Here is Sagae taken this morning. It stands out among other lovely plants as something very very special.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

"Here is Sagae taken this morning. It stands out among other lovely plants as something very very special."

I agree Moc. It just has great elegance to it. Yours is very beautiful. It got mine in 2012. I can't wait to see it again.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Looks like I better get me one of these here 'Sagae' hostas. : )

Don B.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Don, did you know that Sagae is one of five hostas that have been on the American Hosta Society's Popularity Poll for at least 20 years? I think you'd be missing out if you didn't have one. (Only my opinion though.)

This post was edited by newhostalady on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 17:49

• duane456
    9 years ago

Here's my Sagae from last year--a monster

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yes indeed, NHL. Getting a 'Sagae' this spring is a priority on my plant list. I agree, I think I've BEEN missing out by not yet getting my grubby paws on one. Easy enough to remedy...Let's see...I'm sure several of my favorite online retailers will have it in stock...

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

WOW! That is a huge, beautiful plant duane456!!! Nice work!

Don B.

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

duane456, wow thats beautiful, I will show your pic to my baby!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Duane, it is a huge plant and every leaf looks perfect. It would make me look small, and I'm not a tiny woman.

Don, if that doesn't compel you to call for a rush delivery, nothing can.

Somewhere I saw a picture of the spot in the ground where someone's Sagae lay dormant.....and there was a 50 foot garden hose marking the area to keep folks from walking on it. Now, THAT is the Sagae I've tried to view again, but no one seems to recall the same picture. No fairy ring with that big plant. It just went on FOREVER. sigh.......

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

LOL yes Denis, show your baby this pic and tell it to "Eat your fertilizer if you want to be big and strong like Duane's Sagae"!

Don B.

Yeah, no kidding, Mocc. And the colors are just stunning, almost like water colors. Gotta have it.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

*scratches head*

gee, pretty soon we're gonna be calling him 'Sagae Don' ...

poor Guac
    so soon forgot ...

_~

dave

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

What's a 'guac', Dave? Oh, THOSE things! I ripped 'em all out to make room for 'Sagae'!

Sagae Don

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave, I'll put my money on Guacamole, which is the hosta that imprinted Don right off love at first sight. You gotta love Sagae though, what's not to love!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

LOL Yes, I am forever a 'Guacamole' addict, Mocc. 'Sagae' certainly looks like a must-have plant. Gotta get one ASAP.

Don B.

P.S. 'Imprinted'. Exactly the right word to use, Mocc.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 21:50

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Moccasin,

Thank you for posting pics of your beautiful plants, such a pleasure to see for someone like me who cannot wait to see something green, let alone a Sagae! It is definitely eye candy :)

Duane - how old is that Sagae? Stunning.

Paula

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Duane...hands down, THE most beautiful specimen and largest Sagae my eyes have beheld! Congratulations! I adore mine ... Last year was a glory year for mine so understandably, I'm impatiently wondering what this year will bring....more n more eyes I hope! It can never be too big.

Bragu..lol - but...no food-related comments? (which I now associate with you) you always add the "spice" that fuels good humour. Glad hibernation is over! :-)

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

While my Sagae isn't nearly that big,it makes up for it by having really big leaves! Massive! Phil

• duane456
    9 years ago

Paula, I believe it's about 7 or 8 years old now. Feed it home compost and alfalfa pellets. It does get quite a bit of sun in the summer and some of tips of the leaves get burned towards the end of summer. Here's a pic in '09--

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Ordering update...This one's for Phil....Ordered

SAGAE
    SO SWEET to replace to virused one I got at Home Depot
    SUN POWER
    BIG JOHN 'cause it's big
    SERENDIPITY and
    MONTANA AUREOMARGINATA because I need this classic beauty as well.

Cheers,
    Don B.