Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Well, 'Eye Declare' !!!

User
11 years ago

Yeah, this cutie is looking good, even though it is a new arrival.
Eye Declare has my very favorite variegation, which is the yellow middle leaf with a thin green margin.

There is a LOT of difference between Eye Declare, with it's pale pale center and medium green feathered margin.....and say, Stained Glass or Smooth Sailing.

Is this one new to everybody? It says PPAF, whether that is an indicator of new to the trade or not, I do not know. Maybe we all have the same age plants this time, and will watch them grow up together. But, if anyone does happen to have a mature one, I'd like to see it.. Please? And thanks.

Comments (10)

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

PPAF means "plant patent applied for".

bk

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Planted Eye Declare (Sea Fire sport) in 2010 and no pic from last year, so assume it hadn't changed much to get noticed.

Below is June 2011 pic - located in mostly shade.

Paul

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Here are probably more pictures of Eye Declare than you wanted to see. It is one of my brightest yellows in the spring. Sometimes the color is hard to capture but it really stands out. It has grown amazingly well for me unlike Sea Fire which is still limping along. On the other hand my sisters Sea Fire (which mine is a divided from) is enormous. Notice in the pictures how big Eye Declare is compared to Liberty.

I think this plant would quickly go to green if it weren't in some sun. Your southern sun would be a lot different than mine but it will need at least some if it's going to keep the varigation until the end of the season.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh yes yes yes!
    Whew, that is a beauty, Myrle. Thank you for the series. I'm marking the photos as favorites from your Flickr albums.
    So I see it does get the corrugations. Almost like small pieces of a mosaic tile.

How old is your Eye Declare? Looks mature to me.

• User
    11 years ago

Eye Declare was a bonus on my Hallson Gardens order received 2 weeks ago. (Gotta love Chris and that hard working nursery!) Mine's a little sleepy, but the weather has been somewhat cool this spring.

Looking forward to seeing it mature into a beauty like mctavish's. Thanks also Myrle, for the sun info. It's good to know the little secrets to success.

Deb

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    11 years ago

I am glad I got one this year. Just starting. Paula

• leafwatcher
    11 years ago

Wow, when you see plants like yours, it doesn't matter what the name is, or if you have something similar.. you just want to go out and get more !

Like I have to tell that to anyone in this forum !

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Mocc, another Hosta you may like is 'Mister Watson', which is a medium-sized gold with a thin green border. Mine is just coming up; I'll post pics in a few weeks. That is, assuming you don't have it. I shouldn't assume that. You may own it, for all I know. :) This is the only pic I have of it, and it's pretty poor.

Don B.
    Here To Enable

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Don, fact is, I do NOT have Mr. Watson.

I look forward to seeing more of him.
    Give me a couple of weeks to assess the damage here, and I'll be back in business.

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Mocc, These pictures show the steady growth of Eye Declare. The last picture from 2012 is to show it in relation to other plants. There is a mature Komodo Dragon on the left and mature Sunpower on the right at the back of the lawn. This year I will be moving Liberty because it is being overshadowed.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals