Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westy1941

Slug Eggs

Carole Westgaard
17 years ago

WHAT KILLS THEM? Or do I have to dig them out of the soil?

Westy

Comments (15)

• esther_opal
    17 years ago

I've seen a few stray slugs already this season without even looking for them. Slugs hide in the mulch closer to the crown or in the eyes so that's where you should drench. If you dilute ammonia weaker than 10:1, I don't know that it'd be effect? Ammonia does not kill the eggs."
    Mary Ann

This does not address the eggs!
    Slugs hide from the sun during the day which is under something that shades the sun. If you use the 10% ammonia to drench the ground which will get to the slugs. The idea that mulch is your enemy isn't so. Deliver a slug killer to the slugs.

• woodthrush
    17 years ago

I've read that it's a good idea to spread the slug bait before you even see them. That way the first hatching ones eat the bait and die before they reproduce.

• maryann_____chgo
    17 years ago

You lost me on that one, buddy!

Westy, there must be something that would penetrate the protective coating on those eggs without harming the soil, wish I knew what. Squishing or drying???

Slugs slime themselves to death to get any caustic substance off their bodies but eggs are encased and shielded until they hatch.

• arcy_gw
    17 years ago

The 10% ammonia solution only works when it come into direct contact with the hatched slug. You cannot use it preventitively. You can spray the crowns in case there are slugs there so little you cannot see them,or the ground I suppose, but once it soaks in the ammonia no longer is effective. It doesn't poison them it burns them. I have never read a thread that said they has success killing the eggs with the ammonia. I do not think the ammonia soaking through mulch/lleaves would be very effective either. Again skin contact is vital.

• papou
    17 years ago

Here's an answer to a direct question: HOW DO YOU KILL SLUG EGGS?

Summary

The toxicity of 14 substances, including a number of pesticides, to the eggs of the pest slug Deroceras reticulatum was determined in laboratory experiments. Eggs were kept in contact with a precisely defined artificial soil to which a range of concentrations of the test substances had been applied. Mortality of the eggs was assessed every 24 h and the median lethal doses (LD50) were determined. The herbicides bromoxynil, ioxynil and pyridate + bromoxynil, the insecticides thiocyclam, diflubenzuron and azadirachtin, the molluscicides metaldehyde and methiocarb, and other compounds such as carvone, iron-EDDHA, saponin, and an extract of Pongamia pinnata, killed the eggs after periods of exposure ranging from 2 to 14 days, depending on the compound and the dose. Only two compounds, the insecticides imidacloprid and teflubenzuron, failed to kill the eggs of D. reticulatum at any of the doses tested. Values of LD50 below 0.01 mg a.i. cm-2 were obtained for the herbicides bromoxynil, ioxynil and pyridate + bromoxynil, and for the biological pesticide azadirachtin. The feasibility of slug egg control in different contexts is discussed.

Papou

• papou
    17 years ago

Here's the link from which the above was taken concerning the killing of slug eggs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info on killing slug eggs

• maryann_____chgo
    17 years ago

Thanks, Papou. Good research! I'm thinking if I ever found any eggs, I'd scoop them up and destroy them manually rather than spreading more 'cides' around my hosta.

• papou
    17 years ago

I'm with you MaryAnn. I never saw any slug eggs...and I've been looking...and looking. I hate to use pesticides...In any event I like better to be vigilant during Autumn and kill as many slugs as possible....at least those killed won't hatch..

• Carole Westgaard
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone - great insights. I won't use 'cides either. Nearly killed myself fifteen years ago using an Ortho product (and was stupid enough to not use gloves and breathed it IN!) Plus, believe it or not, I like the bunnies. And the insects, toads, spiders and all the other misaligned lifeforms that we need. I just wish I could find which one is next in line in the food chain over the darned slugs. Think I'll use Woodthrush's idea of getting the slug bait on them as they hatch, which is probably going to happen as soon as winter leaves Chicago in July. Then, the Ammonia - I don't know how you do it, Papou, with all the Hosta you have! Looks like my sprayer will be my best friend this year. And it looks like I need to SHAPE UP in August.

I wonder what they do in Europe? I always feel as though they're ahead of us in the sciences!

Thanks to all
    Westy

PS That was an interesting website, Papou. Thanks. Oh, and will you be sending new photos of the gardens this year? I'd love to see the latest 'new' beds' progress.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    17 years ago

i am surprised they didnt try ammonia/vinegar .. instead of only using chemicals in the research study ....

why cant someone who finds eggs .... flag them.. treat them .. and let us know if either kills them ...

ken

• lisasmall
    16 years ago

Slug in the act of egg-laying and it's even more disgusting than you'd think.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

Yuck! Jabba the Hut in the slime so to speak!

• hostared
    16 years ago

That was fascinating and disgusting at the same time.
    Thanks Papou for the research but I left my scientific mind behind when I retired.

Anyone for caviar!

• sassy7142
    16 years ago

I've never found a slug egg yet, but if/when I ever do
    I plan to take before/after pics of them being treated
    with 10% ammonia treatment.

Speaking of ammonia treatments, remember last fall I got fed up with the slugs and decided to just douse them with a large amouont of ammonia solution on some of my hostas. I don't see that I did them any harm, at least so far. How about you, Papou? I remember that you were going to give that method a try too. Since you count the eyes of your hostas every spring, do you notice a difference in their growth?

• allylyn
    15 years ago

Ken, I have found slug eggs. I found weird little clear balls in the potting soil of my marigolds. I stumbled upon this page after trying to find out what they were and how to kill them.

So I am more than happy to test this process. Any ideas how I should go about doing this? I will say, I have a VERY low "Ew" factor.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville