Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone done this or could anyone do it?

Posted by Marinewifenc none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 0:56

Has anyone taken a photo each day from the day the hosta eyes appeared to be coming out of dormancy through at least the leaves unfurling, or longer.

i was looking online but had a hard time finding what i was looking for.

something like this, but with all days included and better pics.

http://www.squidoo.com/my-hosta

Here is a link that might be useful: example

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone done this or could anyone do it?

Marinewife, that is an interesting site.
Thanks for the link.

To answer your question, no. It would be very interesting to have a time lapse camera taking shots in some fashion. But it is beyond my ability to deal with this degree of organization. I maintain a very erratic schedule, and this requires a fairly precise routine.

But, if it could be automated, I'd enjoy doing it, maybe a whole week of filming speeded up to watch in one hour. Very cool project.

o

In the gardening segment of a local TV show the presenter was excited about a new camera - just set it up and set the timer. It will take a picture every minute, or every hour, or every day - whatever you wish. So you can watch flowers open, hostas grow, house being built........ I don't think it was very expensive. Fun. Watch for it!
Jan

o

hmmm.....you mean like hosta time lapse.....link below

Here is a link that might be useful: interweb search - hosta time lapse

o

Jan, what station was that? Reckon there is a link to what camera they used or referred to in the local show?
I'd be interested because there are so many many out there now.

o

You'll have to be patient and wait just 1/2 year,
I've started time lapse photography on a H. 'Grand Slam'.
From the first pip until it will die back, somewhere in November.

o

Rob, are you leaving the camera in place and turned on? What interval do you use between shots? And, just out of curiosity, do they continue to grow leaves at night?

I'd be interested in the setup you have. Is it outdoors, exposed to the elements, or through glass, how is the power supplied for that length of time? Thanks. Look forward to your feature film. :)

o

I've put the hosta, which is in a pot, in a shaded spot outdoors. It won't be moved at all this year.
There are weatherproof time lapse cameras available on the market, but I decided to use my DSLR, a Canon Eos 550 (I believe it's called a Rebel in the States).
The camera is on a tripod. It is put in exactly the same spot every eveneing, just before sunset, using the same settings every night (100 mm lens, AV 5.6, automatic whitebalance). Of course there will be slight differences in whitebalance and position, but nothing that can't be fixed with Photoshop.
After a week (7 pictures) you can see the pips come out of the soil and grow.
I expect the first leaves unfurling in a day or 10.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here