Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Show us your Olga hostas!

User
11 years ago

No, we're not playing GO FISH, but wouldn't that be a nice game for hosta lovers? "Gimme all your Elegans".....don't have any?? I must GO FISH.

But yes indeed, when Don B expressed a love for Brother Stefan and mentioned of course it was great, it was done by OLGA, whose name I cannot spell correctly, I thought there must be some really GREAT mature clumps of Olga creations with all the hostaphiles out there.

So I'll show you a couple I have, if you show me yours.

Old Faithful...which is also FRAGRANT...shot taken 4/16/13. Got it last year from Van Wade, who dug it from the ground.

Tobacco Road was new in 2012, think a tissue culture
which I got from a seller on the HL Auctions so I might just spring for a REAL one later this year. It's a gold.

and Brother Stefan, who was my introduction to Olga hosta when I first tried to buy it back in 2010. This plant is one I got in late March of this year, so it's young but has big leaves already. It came from Naylor. (Note I'm wearing a different pair of shoes?)

So, what have you got that's an Olga hosta?

Comments (39)

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Mocc, I'm sorry to say this is the only photo evidence I have of an Olga Petryszyn Hosta that I own....'Blue Hawaii' I got last season. This pic was taken just last week, had to remove a dead tree, so this had to be relocated. It had 12-15 eyes last year, and before I replanted it, I counted 46 eyes on the clump! Give me 4-6 weeks or so, and I'll post some pics of it on this thread after it's leafed out. Hope I didn't set it back too much by moving it. Anyway, no choice. Great thread, Mocc!

Thanks,
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Nice big fat eyes! :)

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh yes! This is going to be a mature hosta to see!
    Perhaps it won't be set back much, if any, since it is fairly dormant in the pictures. Having all new soil around it might give a new growth stimulus.

Good luck with Blue Hawaii.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Olga Petryszn created 'Brother Stefan' as a birthday gift for her brother. Nice present, eh?

This is her website link with great pics of her beautiful creations.

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'The Hosta Lady' website

• tepelus
    11 years ago

I have three, Niagara Falls, Brother Stefan, and Hoosier Dome. I don't have pictures of Brother Stefan, but I have one of a young Niagara Falls and a four or five year old Hoosier Dome.

Hoosier Dome (2012)

Niagara Falls (2011)

Karen

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

A young Hoosier Dome

Blue Hawaii

Rest are too immature to post.

Paul

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did not realize that my Dawn's Early Light is an Olga introduction. Ehhhh?

It is a bright gold.

Thanks for the link to her gallery, Don. Beautiful site.
    I'll find the picture of DEL and upload it later.
    I wonder if anyone has a big Coal Miner?

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Love all her plants beautifully shown above. Here are a few others. The Grand Canyon is from several years ago. It is the first one I had. It hasn't been as fast as the other for me but I like it anyway. The picture was from 2008. In the spring of 2009 I lost many plants in pots including that one. I have replaced it but so far it's not as big as the old one was.

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

I don't have an individual pic of Dawns Early Light,but here is a pic from last year,and DEL is right is the middle of the the pic. Phil

{{gwi:944011}}

• Gesila
    11 years ago

I don't quite have all of my Olga hostas posted here, but will have them after they emerge this spring. Here's my Facebook Album with most of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Olga's Hostas

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, it was McTavish's Dawn's Early Light which led me to buy it. Something that gold and gorgeous, cannot pass it up.

I visited Gesila's Facebook album and spent a good 30 minutes viewing lots of the photo albums besides the Olga ones--which were all gorgeous, as typical of Gesila's garden. One shows mini hosta planted in pockets of a cinder block wall....wish I'd thought of this when we were repairing our cinder block Teahouse/derelict garage! My hosta winter sanctuary could use tweaking with this planting pocket idea.

Another thing too......I learned that Blue Hawaii is a FRAGRANT HOSTA. Imagine that.....guess it should be in my garden. And, I totally forgot Niagara Falls was an Olga.

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link Gesila. I had thought that Grand Canyon was the hosta for me. Now I see Gone With the Wind - nice. Sorry to here about Continental Divide, when it first came out I considered it a must have, but then very few growers were selling it. I figured something was up.

Beverly

• Flwr_lvr85
    11 years ago

I am new here, Love my hostas! This is my favorite picture- taken last year, I love when are like this :-) Can't wait for this year!

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

I heard the same thing about 'Blue Hawaii' being a fragrant, Mocc, but I'm sad to say I've never detected a HINT of a scent from her flowers. :(

Don B.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Flwr_Ivr - I can see why this would be your favorite picture. Love how you have taken it from straight down into the curls
    Love all the other too but I just can't have any more this year( maybe a couple??) I never realized i co have a few Olga hosta. Must be time to admit I really am hooked !
    Faye

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Don, thanks for your link too.

Mctavish - great pictures.

Moccasinglanding - good idea for a thread. I have been wanting one of her hostas. Olga is my sister's favorite hybridizers and we procured a Key West last year to get her collection started. No pictures yet.

Beverly

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Beverly, you said .....Sorry to here about Continental Divide, when it first came out I considered it a must have, but then very few growers were selling it. I figured something was up.
    What have you heard?? I bought CD as a liner (small) in 2011 - potted in a 4" pot and then to a shared pot with two others liners - it's been ok so far, IMO, a little early for me to decide what kind of grower it will be . Link below might be of interest.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Continental Divide' mid-late season color

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Nice link Paul. For a 4-year old division that's not bad.

As for my comment, I was thinking aloud.
    I was wondering why not very many growers were selling this one. Only NH hostas and they are selling only liners. Also I had heard some one (or two actually) describe it as a slow grower. But your posting shows otherwise. It probably depends upon growing conditions. BTW slow is not necessarily bad.

Beverly

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Hey, Flower Lover, great photo. Welcome to the forum.

Paul,
    I was wondering if anyone had Continental Divide. I've been looking for one. Found a liner at NH Hostas. I think this one is worth the wait.

Steve

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

On 4/16/13 I took Niagara Falls picture breaking dormancy with three eyes. He arrived here in late August 2012, so I've not seen what he grows like here. Just hope something like Gesila's or Myrle's which are both PERFECT.

Dawn's Early Light is so minimal it could be an empty pot, so no picture yet.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Steve, I agree, I think I'm going to go ahead and get one from NH Hostas. Like you stated, I think it's worth the wait, too.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Blue Hawaii' finally starting to bust out of the ground. Relocated her to full shade this season. Want to keep her blue. :)

Don B.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

The only Olga hosta I have is Brother Stefan and it was purchased last year. I am very pleased with it. I posted these two pictures in gogirlterri's thread on Friday. So if you saw it, I apologize for reposting the same pictures. Keep in mind that its more intense coloring is yet to come.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Here is a single leaf photo.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I have a couple (Niagara Falls key west and Brother Stephan), but they aren't photo worthy yet. I love Manhattan - if it just didn't cup. I see it, I like it, and make myself walk away. Mine catch enough debris without cupping.

bk

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DonB, how on earth can you refer to Blue Hawaii as "she"????

I look at mine and all I see is ELVIS......

And the gold Tobacco Road is looking a lot better in its second year. Don't have it uploaded to Flickr yet, so this will end my session for the evening.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry that I misspoke there. I forgot to show and tell about my new Mardi Gras, and Mississippi Delta. Hope the pictures are out of my camera. and INDEXED/TAGGED. Taking 100 pics at a clip is nice, but tagging them is a pain.

First, Mardi Gras....its a medium...new last week, but it looks stout and fine.

Dawn's Early Light. Leaves torn from heavy rain I think. It is really really light golden yellow. Nice!

Old Faithful is a big fragrant. It comes up tall with green pets with a touch of color at the base. I'd say it was vase shaped. I put two other fragrant hosta in the tub with it, and I'm seeing that as a mistake. This hosta is erupting like Old Faithful and taking the whole tub to itself. I got it last year. Something nice about a big ole loose formed fragrant hosta that wins my heart every time.

Picture of Mississippi Delta must still be in the camera. It was near dormant when it arrived last week, that's all you'd see.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Sorry Mocc, I always thought 'Blue Hawaii' was a 'she' and 'Elvis Lives' was a 'he'! ;)

Don B.

• veryblessed
    10 years ago

Blue Hawaii

Coal Miner - New for me - planted about two weeks

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DonB, I was only teasing, you call your Blue Hawaii what suits it best. Either way, it is a sweet hosta.

I keep forgetting that Niagara Falls is an Olga hosta.

At this point, NF is sharing a pot with Aqua Velva, a fragrant hosta. I planned to remove one or the other depending on which got bigger quicker. Looks like NF is winning already, and Aqua Velva is about to be moved.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Oh, I know you were teasing, Mocc! :) You're getting a nice collection of Olga Hostas there. 'Tobacco Road' was named after Bob Solberg visited Olga's garden. Upon seeing this creation of hers for the first time, he remarked that the big leaves reminded him of the leaves of the tobacco plant; The 'Tobacco Road' hosta was born! Upon maturity it gets some lime green streaks in the yellow/gold leaves, or so I've read. It's a beauty. And 'Mardi Gras'...nice purchase there as well. I'm finally starting to plant those Hostas I got from Green Mountain in the earth, been at it all morning. I let 'em leaf out in pots while I worked on beds until I was satisfied with the amending of the clay soil. Now I need a drip irrigation system! LOL

Regards,
    Don B.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

This is my Tobacco Road. Got it from Jim's Hostas as a tiny tissue culture in 2011, it is finally getting some size. But I'm getting impatient for it to get old enough to show some good color!

Sandy

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

That's not some weird color going on with the leaves, just a shadow!

Sandy

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Smokey Bear - nice thick leaves. This one has Manhattan genes. It's going to be a beauty. This is it's second year in our gardens:

Gesila

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

My 'Blue Hawaii' today, looking like it wants to be one of the bluest in my yard. Starting to really love this plant.

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My goodness, Don! Your Blue Hawaii is multiplying like rabbits, and yes, blue as anything. Sweet!

Mine is beefing up, but not doing what yours is. Here it is this last week with some friends.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Wow, yours is blue as heck too! It's not a rumor, or a blue camera filter. 'Blue Hawaii' REALLY IS as blue as everyone said it is. Love it!

Don B.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    10 years ago

Wow - I really like that Smokey Bear. I don't think it is listed in the Hosta Library yet. You may want to send them a picture of yours.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don, did not know that about Blue Hawaii. I got it strictly because I am an Olga fan, and I saw its picture, looked good to me! Now I find it is so much more with that beautiful upright attitude and cool blue nature. If Olga does a gold, she does it up every which way gold. If she does a green, she gives us Niagara Falls in a pot. It figures if she does blues, we get the best there as well. Nothing but the best makes it out of her garden with her name on it.

Now I'm wondering what will distinguish Mississippi Delta. It is wide and flat, and to me that is a good description of that area of the country, so wide, flat, and green....maybe that is the hosta as well.

My next Olga will hopefully be Key West. In a dream I am finding it in a real nursery, pick it up and take it home. Not waiting for mail delivery. What a blessing for those in other areas to have real nurseries dedicated to the hosta species, within driving distance! You are so lucky. And can visit gardens to see the hosta growing in spacious landscapes.

Anyway, here is my new Mississippi Delta. Wide, flat and green.