Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pieter_k

noid

Last year I got all excited over finding some Hosta 'Emerald Isle' only to find these bare root bagged beauties were packed as an assortment of 4 plants under what the producer called The Emerald Isle Colourful Companion as a mix of Hostas. They name their Colourful Companions with inspiring and playful names, never mind there is an actual cultivar by that name. So, it's season two for these plants and one of them is now starting to unfurl and I notice this wonderful serrated edge to the leaf, which should make it a fairly easy feature to focus on in identification.

This is what it looks like at the moment and I'd be grateful to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks, Pieter.

Comments (41)

• lindac
    15 years ago

It certainly could be that the grower that packed the plants just packed miscellaneous seedlings....and you have a wonderful as yet un named plant.
    Looks like it has promise to me!
    Linda C

• donrawson
    15 years ago

Hi Pieter,
    Looking at my list of Serrated-leaved hostas, probably the closest resemblence is hosta 'Sandpaper' and 'Surfer Dude.' However, 'Sandpaper' has a wavy edge, and 'Surfer Dude' has a piecrusted edge, whereas yours doesn't. So not a positive ID.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Don, duh..... never thought to check your lists, which of course are posted on my website... duh.... I must admit I did not notice the serrated edge last year. I feel that whatever it is, it is probably quite common, given that the other, named varieties offered all were, but you never know. When I e-mailed the supplier (Florissa) last year, this is what their response was:

Thank you for your interest in our Florissa's Choice of the Year.
    The Emerald Isle Colourful Companion is a mix of Hostas. We name our Colourful Companions with inspiring and playful names.

In each package there should be:
    -a blue leaf cultivar
    -a yellow edged green leaf cultivar
    -a white edged green leaf cultivar
    -a greenish-yellow leaf cultivar

Happy Planting!

It was quite clear to me no particular effort was made to identify each cultivar and would have to have been an inexpensive, plentiful variety, which neither of the 2 you mention would appear to be. But you're right, taking a close look at the few images on the HL, I'm inclined to lean towards 'Sandpaper' since I can see hints of wavyness to the edge of one leaf. 'Surfer Dude' looks to have quite the gloss to its leaves, something this one doesn't. I'll take some more shots in a couple of weeks when the leaves are more unfurled than what they are at the moment and post them as a follow-up.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The plot thickens. I have now noticed this same serration on another NOID I obtained in a trade last year. I tentatively had that one labeled Blue Cadet, but as with any NOID that's always subject to change.

This trade one is certainly quite a bit smaller -only a couple or three shoots- and while there's no evidence of that lovely 'pinching' wave you can see in a few leaves on this one pictured above, I feel quite comfortable in going with the notion both of these are the same cultivar, whatever it is. And since they came from two very different sources, I'd say it is common. The leaves do not have a lot of substance to them and I rather suspect they'd be prone to serving as slug fodder when planted out in the garden.

So, anyone who's growing Blue Cadet that might be able to comment on the leaf edge serration? That would at least eliminate one from the list, be that the list of candidates or the list of NOIDS.

• waynet
    15 years ago

Pieter, I've never noticed serrations on our Blue Cadet. Wayne

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Wayne, it goes back onto my NOID list then.... oh well...

Having said all that though, I'll post some more pictures as the season goes on, along with pictures of the flowers. I'm not giving up.

• dbowemd
    15 years ago

I was thinking Blue Cadet when I first looked at it, because that would be one that a person in a business like that would probably love as it is so cheap and a fast grower.
    If you have Blue Cadet somewhere in your garden, you want to put the NOID next to it and watch it all season for color, amd timing of flowering. Toy Soldier should act about the same too.
    It's going to be something very common, not one of those rare beauties in Don's list. Someone selling it in that style (unnamed) would never pay the big bucks for a rare plant. They would buy something that has already been mass produced.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Dave. I don't have a known Blue Cadet in my yard however, I'll have to keep an eye peeled at the various nurseries around here and see if I can spot it AND ascertain it is properly identified. As the growing season goes on I'll keep pictures updated and will ask for additional input from all and sundry. I'm glad to see you agree with my supposition that it is likely a very common variety, and I rather think that by the time all the dust settles a few folks will go back to take a closer look at theirs and say 'Gee, never noticed that before' when they do.

• donrawson
    15 years ago

Any chance that it's Teaspoon? I was told that Teaspoon has serrated-edged leaves.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Don't think so, Don. Teaspoon's leaves are much rounder as well as cupped, plus it's green, not blue like this one. Thanks for trying though. I'll have to make a point of taking a couple of shots of it today and post an update.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I now know it's not just an early riser, but also an early bloomer. It's had this scape for a few days now, and interestingly the leafy bracts hardly show any of the serration that prompted the original posting.

So, I guess my question is for all those who have a Blue Cadet, is it an early bloomer?

• lisasmall
    14 years ago

I have what folks here identified as 'Blue Cadet' from a cheapie grab bag years ago, before I was hooked and fussy about vendors (2003 from Von Bourgondien). I'll keep an eye on it for you and return to this thread as soon as I see a scape, but I don't know how helpful that will be, given your geography v. mine.

I just posted this photo of my Blue Cadet which shows it in full bloom June 17. If you use the link below, it's the last photo in the set (but I will be adding more tomorrow!)

Meanwhile, the suggestion above that you get a Blue Cadet and compare it to your NOID is a good one; it's a nice plant. I think Ken has a really good one, if I recall correctly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lisa's Hosta Set at Flickr

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the picture Lisa! Though it's kinda hard to see on your shot, it doesn't look as if it has the leafy bracts I see on mine, but that may well be because the leaves on mine aren't as tall yet as yours. DO like that Kiwi Blue Baby!

Ken hasn't piped in on this one, he's probably busy putting his Hosta out on his driveway (nudge-nudge, wink-wink).

Looking at Wayne's picture earlier in the thread, I can't help be notice the upright form of his Blue Cadet, something not evident in the pictures on HL.

• paul_in_mn
    14 years ago

Here's pic from last year - bloom time for me - last 10 days of July (Z4 and in the ground).
    {{gwi:951818}}

Paul

• lisasmall
    14 years ago

Wow, Paul, those photos are stunning. I'll have to go digging in my archives and see if I can find dated bloom photos from mine in past years.

Pieter, I went out and checked for you and there are no scapes on my putative 'Blue Cadet' yet. (Also, the leaves are definitely not serrated.) If I can, I'll get a photo tomorrow of last year's scapes, which will give you an idea of their proportion to the plant.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for those pictures, Paul. On the scapes on yours I don't see any leafy bracts either, so I'm now leaning towards this NOID being something else, not surprising. So, the hunt continues. Any thoughts anyone?

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, I have an alternative: Pearl Lake. I saw one at a small nursery near me and the leaves sure remind me of what I have here, yet the pictures of it on HL do not show leafy bracts on the scapes in the pictures. Anyone out there have Pearl Lake, and, what do you think, is that what I have here?

• paul_in_mn
    14 years ago

Here's Pearl Lake.
    {{gwi:934519}}

Paul

• botanybabe
    14 years ago

I realize this is a long shot but I have a Blau Volke that I got in a trade and it looks exactly like yours with the tiny serrations. I don't have a pic of mine up close, but here's a pic from the Hosta Library.

Blaumeise and Blaufink also appear to have that same serrated appearance.

Lainey

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta library - Blau Volke

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Lainey, but it would appear as if 'Blaue Wolke' -Blue Cloud- is classified as a medium-sized variety. While what I have is still immature, I have sincere doubts it will prove to be a medium. Plus I don't think Blaue Wolke is in wide distribution, but I could be wrong there, just not a name you see very often....

And thanks for your 'Pearl Lake' shot, Paul. Takes mine out of the running for that... and the search goes on.

• swontgirl_z5a
    14 years ago

Hi, I just bought 2 of these collections at my local Co-op store. Did you ever identify any of the hostas in it? It will be interesting to see if the 2 sets of plants are the same.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, I just bought 2 of these collections at my local Co-op store. Did you ever identify any of the hostas in it? It will be interesting to see if the 2 sets of plants are the same.

Nope, not with any certainty. And there's no guarantee their assortment is the same from one year to the next. I'll take a stab at it again this year and post my guesses.

Pieter

• swontgirl_z5a
    14 years ago

Thanks Pieter,
    I will wait to see mine and as I said see if each package is even the same.
    Debbie

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

This post was generated in 2009 for anyone besides myself that may be reading it.

I just purchased the Emerald Isle collection not realizing there were 4 different hosta in the bag...which is a plus...and a minus because now I have to try and ID them much to my chagrin!!!

Pieter did you ever ID the blue serrated one by any chance? Any luck with the others?

Jo

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this come back up again. I'll have to dig back through my pictures when I get back to my home computer to see if I can figure what all I still have. Seems to me the white-edged one was 'Undulata' and the blue one - the one that was the start to this thread - I rather arbitrarily refer to as 'Blue Cadet', rightly or wrongly.

Pieter

10 years ago

Success! I received a reply from Florissa company re Emerald Isle Collection of bagged hosta Pieter.

They have informed me "you should have Francee, Blue Angel, Paradigm & Julie Morrs".

I bought two packages so will have to see if they are identical. :-)

FYI

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo, this is the label for the ones that prompted the posting back in '09. They were purchased in April 2008.

How does this compare to what you purchased this year?

Just for fun, compare 'Paradigm' and 'Julie Morss' in my Compare Hosta routine side-by-side. The two are rather similar and would take an experienced eye to tell immature specimens apart (JM is much smaller when mature), but regardless, if there are supposed to be 4 cultivars with distinct differences such as outlined in their original reply to me:
    The Emerald Isle Colourful Companion is a mix of Hostas. We name our Colourful Companions with inspiring and playful names.

In each package there should be:
    -a blue leaf cultivar
    -a yellow edged green leaf cultivar
    -a white edged green leaf cultivar
    -a greenish-yellow leaf cultivar

Happy Planting!

So, I'd take their feedback with a grain of salt as to the actual composition of the pack. Post some pictures once they're all leaved out and we'll see how close they are to what they're s'posed to be.

Pieter

Here is a link that might be useful: Compare Hostas

10 years ago

"We have 2packages this season...I gave you the listing for another package Jade in the Shade. The Emerald Isle will have 4 of the following: Francee, Fragrant Dream, Julie Lorrs, Blue Angel & Aureomarginata. My apologies for any confusion."

Pieter, I am impressed with this company for their customer service. I have received almost immediate replies to my questions. When I sent a pic to show them how happy I was with the hosta, they went a bit further and identified one....they also asked me to send another pic in a week or two so they can identify the others....leaving me with no work to do! Lol I had already looked the varieties up in prep for id'ing them.

I am potting them up today...they are growing much too quickly ... I realize the conditions I am withholding affect the growth and appearance...however.... Here is the pic of the package, followed by the pic of them in water.

All in all, Francee is the only one I already own. I'm happy to have added some different cultivars to my collection :-)

I also bought 2 Blue Hawaii and a Cherry Berry. Florissa also are featuring First Frost and Olive Bailey Langdon as individual bagged roots in addition to BH and CB.

10 years ago

This pic is the one I sent them...they inserted the name of one and emailed it back to me.

10 years ago

I changed the water this morning, washed them in ammonia bath and here is today's pic...Blue Hawaii is top left corner with Cherry Berry underneath it.

Last year I started a bagged Rainforest Sunrise and Liberty. Granted, they could have looked better, but it is what it is. This year they will look just like they are supposed to.

10 years ago

Pieter, thanks for the "compare" link...I see what you mean

I'm sorry, my last pic isn't that great but the hosta look lovely regardless of a little stretching here and there without ideal growing conditions and proper lighting...as I said, it is what it is.

For less than $2 a hosta, I can't go wrong! Not complaining at all.

I'm glad I found your old thread! BTW....I asked if they had a vendor with their products near me and they actually replied ASAP with name, address, postal code, and telephone number of a nursery in Lindsay, ON. Talk about service!! I am impressed...I wanted to hunt down their Jade in the Shade package, lol.

Jo

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Emerald Isle will have 4 of the following: Francee, Fragrant Dream, Julie Lorrs, Blue Angel & Aureomarginata.

Above list is for 5 varieties, not 4. Which one doesn't belong? :) Or is it any 4 out of these 5?

It's interesting they could only identify the 'Fragrant Dream' on your first picture, Jo. There is nothing in your pix that looks to me like 'Francee', or 'Julie Morss' for that matter, but what do I know...

You would think it is not an unreasonable to assume the picture on the package to be representative of it's contents... it would have been more honest for them to label it Hosta Crapshoot Collection, 'cause you don't know what you'll actually get!

Pieter

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hosta 'Box of Chocolates' ; )

Don B.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

With 'Box of Chocolates' do you make half-moon indentations on the pips where you try to see what's inside?

tj

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 22:49

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Oh, man! I thought that was a 'Guardian Angel' I think it's an 'Oreo Cream' : )

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 23:00

10 years ago

You guys! Lol
    Why is it that I always open a thread near midnight....and Chocolate! Is mentioned!!! Baaaad boys! LOL

Pieter - I'll finish the I.d. Portion of this continued saga on my "boredom" thread in due time, ok? I'm with you - there may not be a Julie Morrs etc.

Yes, 4 out of the five listed are offered in the bagged selection.

Jo

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

Hey Jo, I did the same a few weeks ago, picked up a bag of 2 hosta "bulbs" lol, no indication of what they might be but this may be better than your bag of named being completely wrong lol.

This is the bag label.

Note the "Plant Quality Guaranteed" Ha!

I didn't record when I planted them but here they are on the 6th March.

Just took these pics (17-3-15)

Nice purple/red om the pip cover thingys ( there is a name for these things but ?) They are out in my temporary kitchen in the as yet unfinished part of the house where the temp is around 10C. so they are not growing too madly in fact the little one has hardly moved since the first pic.

I wonder what they will be.......

I got Julie Morrs in my last order, I will take a pic when it comes up and you can compare to see if it is one of yours, the four you list are very diferent so that should help unless they are telling porkies!

Denis

9 years ago

Those thingies are called sheaths, methinks. They are amazingly colourful, aren't they? I really love this stage. Thanks for the subsequent updates, especially Julie Morss. I'll be glad to see what she really looks like for you.

Denis, That's a chuckle alright, guarantee of fresh quality, but kidding aside, yours DO look fresh and very healthy. Glad you got some too...a hostaholic is a hostaholic, any shape, any form, anytime, right? Lol

I pay on the high end for almost all my hostas so when I can snap up a grab bag, I am tickled to do so. . . it's also a game to see how accurate the packaging is as I try to figure out which plants might be "porkies" lol! Sometimes it is the underpriced, under-rated plant that grows up to be a show-stopper. I will never snub a Hosta...any Hosta.

Too bad they didn't have any more. I'll go back next week to check. Last year they had a lot more. Perhaps not all shipments are in yet. Still early. :-)

I would imagine you'll have quite a remarkable change of scenery as your gardens develop, Denis. You've added so much already to your landscape since we first "met" you here on this forum. Your mountaintop backdrop in your photos is a jaw-dropper!

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

We have it bad Jo, lol!

I feel like a naughty schoolboy buying hostas like this, in full knoledge of hvx ect. but will keep in a pot for years so not to spread anything.

Hmn sheaths....I'm sure I read someting about them and the word began with a C .....I think ah could be totaly astray with that one lol.

My gardens are expanding, I reclaimed a large area last year and have been planting trees for future shade. I have a delivery of saplings arriving tomorrow or friday, Hornbeam, Larch, Red bud, Pin Oak, Paperbark Maple and a Tulip tree. Also comming are 250 beech hedging plants for my sister, that I hope to get in the ground before the weather breaks on sunday evening, its been dry this week (shock!) I am going to be busy and dirty!

My montans Aureomarginata has broken ground as well as a few others, noticed my Raspberry Sundae has gone from 2 eyes last year to 5 woohoo!

Denis

9 years ago

lol...RS jumping to 5 is greaaaat growth! Hope mine this year will do same. Here's hoping.

Dennis, you are right, the proper term is cataphyll (sp?) but I never remember that ... ergo sheath lol.

Looks like you will be busy planting for a while there, Denis! Some nice trees...love the Larch and Redbud!

We've got another cold spell...my bagged Hostas are in water getting hydrated, then it's off into pots with them until they get to go to a sheltered spot outside, weather permitting. Hope you had a great St. Paddy's Day!

Jo

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH