Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Hosta with Yellow Flowers Coming in 2015?

don_in_colorado
11 years ago

I read this on 'The Hosta Helper'...Sadly, no pics to be found; Sounds wonderful!

"At the January 19, 2013 Hosta Scientific Meeting in Lisle, IL, Mark Zilis showed an image of H. 'Miracle Lemony' which Mr. Hajime hybridized. It has YELLOW flowers. Zilis hopes to introduce it into the U.S. in a couple of years."

Anyone happen to ever see a pic of 'Miracle Lemony'? I'm gonna go scour The Web and see if I can find one...

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybridizer Hajime Sugita

Comments (18)

• User
    11 years ago

Aha! Yellow flowers! I guess that comes from something with a creamy white......maybe it is more outrageous than having a blue flowered hosta.

Truly, if more attention is paid to the flowers, something is bound to happen. So many folks are only interested in the flowers in the garden, not simply the leaves. Present company excluded, of course.

Myself, the color of the flower is not as important as the fertility, maybe the height of the petiole. I understand that in the wild the hosta competed with taller grasses and meadowland plants in general, to get the pollinators to visit THEIR flowers, so they shot up tall scapes above the surrounding competition. Plants have a survival strategy too. I find books by Michael Pallen (almost Pollen but definitely not PALIN) highly interesting reads.

If one of the yellow bloomers is shown at a convention, I'll HAVE to attend. No way around it.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I know that Jeff Moore has hybridized red flowers, but I haven't seen yellow.

Not yet available, but I know he has created a few plants with this kind of color.

Steve

• donrawson
    11 years ago

I haven't seen Zilis' yellow-flowered hosta...but have a friend/hybridizer who has one with yellow flowers, so I know it's just a matter of time before something is on the market...

• Lykaon - Ohio Zone 6a
    11 years ago

This morning I assumed this was an April Fools post.

• allnitro
    11 years ago

Mark Zilis did show pics of this yellow flower at this years Winter Scientific Meeting.....it is very yellow. It is from a hybridizer in Japan.

The red flowered hostas you are seeing Steve are just past on from plants that already have red flowers like 'Kokuryu' and 'Akane'. While they are nice they are not newly created like a yellow flowered hosta.......I can see using this yellow and coming up with orange etc........

Jeff White

This post was edited by allnitro on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 7:05

• KUMAKICHI
    10 years ago

Yellow flower Sugita original is selected species of Tsushima Hosta one of the wild species.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting. That's interesting.

bk

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Wow. Just wow.

Kumakichi,

Are both of these variations of the species found in the wild or was the longipes a cultivar? Are there any plans to introduce these into the US?

Steve

Steve

• luuk
    10 years ago

Yellow such a happy color, ...absolutely beatiful flowers !

• KUMAKICHI
    10 years ago

I do not know who is whether the reasonable point of contact in the United States. Contact Because not particularly, I have priority only thing in Japan.
    I think Mark will play a role for the yellow flower.
    Images that have been attached is what they appear to sow is white flowers H.yingeri of Korean, the seed of self-pollinated flowers of the same type.
    As well as changes in the leaf, we have improved flower color, flower shape, fragrance, etc. even if the goal of breeding, of course, it is the thing which changes in leaf also combines the breeding group of Japan Hosta Society that I belong , is the exchanges of Hosta Society of Japan and the United States

don_in_colorado thanked KUMAKICHI
  • Rob Mortko
    8 years ago

Mr Kumakichi - are you still out there? If so, can you please email me at rob@hostaguy.com.

Thanks,

Rob

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    8 years ago

H. Miracle Lemony is on all the major European nurseries lists.

Not sure I can get too excited about pale yellow flowers.

I still prefer the leaves.

Just opinion.

Dave

• hostanana
    8 years ago

Go to hostalibrary.org and click on First Look Auction there is a Miracle Lemony in the auction.

• miketropic
    8 years ago

I found it as cheap as 17 bucks over seas,that can't possibly be right unless its a tiny tiny plug plant and even then IDK if I trust it..but for 17 bucks I might just try it lol

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    8 years ago

I have seen it fir €12 for a 2L pot from a vendor in Belgium. I admit it does little for me.

• miketropic
    8 years ago

I have a friend picking me up one on friday to ship over.as long as it is what its sold as no problems

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting